• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pictures From the Skintrack

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Super fun skiing at White Pass, WA. 8” new May powder. With sunny skies, we decided to to ski a bonus lap at the end of the morning.

. F3889C20-65DC-48EE-A9BC-C0CF9BF43DC8.jpeg

A1D22271-97ED-4DCC-ACC2-B509894F5329.jpeg

98F1C64D-E7C7-48C7-9A95-274A265B5FE9.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
Came across this hike, skin, climb, up Mt Blanc. Over 12,300 ft vertical up.
Cham at 1030m Mt Blanc 4,807m

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I couldn't find any takers for road laps at the Valley, so drove up to Ten Mile Station and toured up Lehman Gulch and the un-named service road up Peak 10 to take a run down Spitfire.

The snow was pretty heavy and settled by the time we got on it and you had to keep pointing downhill to keep going; not straight-lining, but no traversing at all. The exit out along the track we ascended on required some skintrack running with judicious speed control by making turns outside the track to slow down.

IMG_20220521_072458025.jpg

My impromptu snow stake. Almost 16 inches in town was matched by at least as much on the trails.

IMG_20220521_102537307_HDR.jpg

Thanks to whomever set the track.

IMG_20220521_105240521_HDR.jpg

A scenic pass through some trees.

IMG_20220521_105654604.jpg

Other people's tracks.

IMG_20220521_120039555_HDR.jpg

Now with Marty's and my tracks.

strava3514472496807831381.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Mothertucker

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Great stuff and stoke as we are now in summertime! Jealous of some you guys bagging these great spring lines. Well done!
I agree, great to see you guys out gettin' after it @Slim and @charlier! And, being that the days are now getting shorter, I'm going to start pulling out some pics from the archives. Here are a few shots from a lift assisted solo tour back on March 7th.
PXL_20220307_200849661.jpg
PXL_20220307_192236778.jpg
PXL_20220307_202602859.jpg
PXL_20220307_223713834.jpg

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Currently, I am using relatively heavy touring skis and boots- mostly for training/suffering. Soon I will use my light weight volcano setup. More photos to follow.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
At least 2 weeks later then normally nowadays, but finally it got cold enough they spread last years snow and made some 2.5km loop, so my xc skiing season (and with current status of glaciers around here, any kind of skiing season) is finally open :) And what's even nicer, they are promising some 60-70cm of snow for Tuesday, so lets hope they are right :)

20221120_115905_002_saved.jpg

20221120_120558.jpg

20221120_131520.jpg

Few more months and it will be pretty busy on these tracks... also for me as it looks at the moment :D But hopefully with way more snow that time :)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
At least 2 weeks later then normally nowadays, but finally it got cold enough they spread last years snow and made some 2.5km loop, so my xc skiing season (and with current status of glaciers around here, any kind of skiing season) is finally open :) And what's even nicer, they are promising some 60-70cm of snow for Tuesday, so lets hope they are right :)

View attachment 183585

View attachment 183586

View attachment 183587
Few more months and it will be pretty busy on these tracks... also for me as it looks at the moment :D But hopefully with way more snow that time :)
I keep meaning to write you about locations for a 2024 trip, but maybe I should just go to Planica and call it good.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Slovenia is so small that wherever you go, you have probably shorter drive to tracks, then you have to store at home :ogbiggrin: But seriously... I'm living more in "central" Slovenia, and I have 40min to Planica tracks, few minutes less to Pokljuka tracks (where biathlon WC is) and if there's enough snow, they have shorter tracks pretty much everywhere "down in valley". So for xc, I would definitely pick Kranjska Gora (about 2-3km from Ratece and Planica), as for me Ratece and Planica have best tracks in Slovenia. If it's normal winter, you have some 40-50km loop (that's my measurement, as official would be probably 200km of tracks, as when you have 5km loops where 2, 3 and 4km loops just cut over and everyone are counting total number of tracks 2+3+4+5km while in my mind it's only 5km), and you have everything from nice relatively easy tracks down in Ratece, to WC tracks in Planica, and of course they are connected, so you have everything.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

View attachment 183585

View attachment 183586

View attachment 183587
Do they preserve the snow in place or pile it up somewhere and re-distribute it to make the track? I'm impressed by how clean and uniform it is.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Doug Briggs they made huge pile of it last winter, then it's covered with some sort of canvas and "sawdust". Well it's not really proper sawdust but slightly bigger one. This then remains outside through the summer (normally you try to find as cold place as possible, but in Planica pretty much everything is on sun in summer so it's straight there :) About 20% of snow is lost through the summer but rest is pretty good quality. After that it's question how you transport it to track. In Planica they have pretty good system (and plenty of asphalt roller ski tracks with bridges and tunnels help with this) where to start, where to drive and how to proceed with loop extension, so trucks driving snow to track never cross track and never drive on snow, so snow is really clean. In some other places they do it more like "oh well it will do" so snow looks more like mud soup then snow.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Do they preserve the snow in place or pile it up somewhere and re-distribute it to make the track? I'm impressed by how clean and uniform it is.

@Doug Briggs they made huge pile of it last winter, then it's covered with some sort of canvas and "sawdust". Well it's not really proper sawdust but slightly bigger one. This then remains outside through the summer (normally you try to find as cold place as possible, but in Planica pretty much everything is on sun in summer so it's straight there :) About 20% of snow is lost through the summer but rest is pretty good quality. After that it's question how you transport it to track. In Planica they have pretty good system (and plenty of asphalt roller ski tracks with bridges and tunnels help with this) where to start, where to drive and how to proceed with loop extension, so trucks driving snow to track never cross track and never drive on snow, so snow is really clean. In some other places they do it more like "oh well it will do" so snow looks more like mud soup then snow.
@Doug Briggs they do the same thing at Craftsbury in Vermont now. It's a science.

Sponsor