• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pieps transceivers

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hi guys

It might not be relevant for you, it might not even be true for most cases (I have Ortovox, but my wife has Pieps DSP Sport and never had this issue), but just in case as it just might save someone's life. :)
Here's video of guy explaining Pieps DSP Sport/Pro/Ice transceivers can accidentally switch to search mode or even switch off.
I know he's putting it wrong side up into pouch, or if not wrong, at least the opposite way then Pieps recommends, but later in comments, he wrote he managed to switch it off or to search mode even when put into pouch "right" way.
This might be actually the case why guy in Hanging Lake avalanche (http://www.wayneflannavalancheblog.com/2017/03/march-5-2017.html) had his transceiver on search mode, and was unfortunately rescued too late to survive.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the heads up. Something to pay attention too. After reading about the incident a few days ago it had me wondering since I have a DSP Sport and use it in a beacon pocket like the victim did. I have yet to see this issue but also have not been caught in a slide and encountered the huge forces that could certainly affect the beacon differently than just touring and skiing.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied with one (Sport) twice last season and had it happen to me once, in a crash on the groomer. (Near the bottom near the end of the day.) When I took it off a little while later , it was no longer in transmit mode.

I wonder if filing down the “ribs” and the “button”might help? Maybe also adding padding to the outside of the pouch?especailly along the outside edges, and next to the buckle?

Here is a video with the beacon facing the body:

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online