• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pippo Ganna's inside-out "octopus fingers" handlebar grip.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Did anyone else see that and go - HTF?

1678209815117.png

Corollary questions: do you think he's pulling back on the bars in that position? He's definitely flattening his upper back when he does it.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Rane Roatta's gravel bike. Similar idea.
1678217775338.png

I assume this is the one you mean. I've seen from the outside-in setups before and even tried one (obviously not as narrow as 25cm) when attempting to alleviate finger bang on rooted trails.

What freaks me out is that Ganna's wrists are upside down from where Roatta's are.

Ganna's thumbs are pointed into the ground. If I try to emulate Ganna's grip, it obviously brings the elbows in - and I certainly can't hold it for long - but Ganna's elbows aren't in.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Did anyone else see that and go - HTF?

View attachment 195577

Corollary questions: do you think he's pulling back on the bars in that position? He's definitely flattening his upper back when he does it.
It has nothing much to do with "pulling back on bars" or anything like this, but with UCI rule, that forbids riding like this with hands "hanging down" on front (as I know this doesn't make sense, and I have no idea how to describe this, I managed to find photo https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/TcLPVrkoiEfySq2rs6utLC-1920-80.jpg.webp) , like everyone were doing it before. Now you need to hold handlebar all the time, so this is obviously to keep riding the same way as before, but still being inside of allowed position.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It has nothing much to do with "pulling back on bars" or anything like this,

No doubt you've nailed the direct reason for the posture.

I answered my own question this w/e: it is possible to pull back if you get your fingers that way.

But I still can't do it with any bars less than 52cm wide. :( Actual muscle in forearms :D

but with UCI rule, that forbids riding like this with hands "hanging down" on front (as I know this doesn't make sense, and I have no idea how to describe this, I managed to find photo https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/TcLPVrkoiEfySq2rs6utLC-1920-80.jpg.webp) , like everyone were doing it before. Now you need to hold handlebar all the time, so this is obviously to keep riding the same way as before, but still being inside of allowed position.

Sponsor

Staff online