• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Plantar Fascitis or Peroneal Tendonitis

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've had PF pain upon waking. My understanding is the ligament contracts when you naturally extend your foot while sleeping. It then gets reinjured when you first step on it and stretch it out in the morning.

I used something like this while sleeping and it helped:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Birkenstock Boston
BBTW, I also have PF at both feet (I walk too much around barefoot) and when skiing, it actually gets better , simply because I used a personalised foot sole...I also had to throw away all old running shoes (but also specifically my beloved Birkenstock Boston) and buy new ones, possibly well "cushioned"...
Interesting. I had a plantar plate issue pop up last summer when walking/running in a pair of On Cloudventure trail running shoes on the pavement (which BTW suck, I'm much happier in the Altra Olympus 4 and New Balance Fresh Foam More V1 trail shoes of the current quiver).
Two doctor neighbors, one a marathon runner said it was mortons neuroma. I looked at every medical website and concluded because it was between the wrong two toes, I didn't feel a BB size lump when I'd squeeze the area (pressing from top of foot and bottom of foot), so it couldn't be mortons. To me it fit a plantar plate injury, which I read is common with upper leg/calf injuries and I've been having trouble with the calf and hamstring insertion tendonitis for two years now, (with physical therapy), the self diagnosis fit. I could've asked my orthopedic surgeon cousin but I don't like bothering him with minor injuries, not to be seen as a "boy who cried wolf". Which was a good move because he was very helpful a few month latter (Sept), when I wrecked my shoulder inline skating. Surgeon neighbor said either torn labrum or rotator cuff, call your cousin! Cousin said I likely tore the rotator cuff, give it time (a month latter he called to ask how it was coming along and said time is the best medicine). Initially, he had wanted me to get an X-ray but I said no, Covid risk, again he said just give it time. Took a good 5 months of tolerating it but now the shoulder is doing 95% better and back to 100% range of motion. ROM was very limited for the first three months. Anyway back to the plantar plate, I told the doctor (surgeon) neighbor who doesn't run of my findings and logic he agreed, said plantar plate.
Interestingly, I had to stop wearing all of my Birkenstock sandals, the cork bottoms are so sunken from use that they have a lengthwise mogul before the metatarsals which aggravates the plantar plate issue.
Even more interesting, I didn't need to put a doughnut (corn) bandage pad on the spot as the runner doctor suggested, as I found I was ok wearing my zero drop Merrell minimalist trail glove shoes so I ordered a pair of zero drop Altra Paradigm 4.5 road shoes which also worked well.

As to the OP, @Philpug, sounds to me like Peroneal Tendonitis. I was non weight bearing for a month, followed by three months physical therapy with that one. Then again mine went while running and at the time I continued another 4 miles walking on it. Had thought it was a stress fracture until after a month or six weeks (I forget) when the X-ray didn't show bone growth of a healing fracture. MRI confirmed Peroneal Tendonitis, which prior to the MRI was what my orthropod cousin immediately said when the X-ray was clean and the "local" orthropod said could be either or both!
Latter, the Physical Therapist and I concluded the root cause was my carbon fibre low cut inline speed skates pressing on it. I always would get a reoccurring cyst on the spot during skate season which would go away when out of the speed skates for a few winter months. PT said the speed skate locking the foot in from flexing as one skates with all flexing occurring only at the ankle doesn't allow for the Peroneal to get stretched and retracted going thru the motion as it would walking, thus contributed to the P tendonitis developing. Possibly and probably similar to the foot being held flat in a ski boot, only you don't have the pressure of a hard carbon fibre upper and abrupt top edge (collar) constantly pressing at the top of the Lateral Mallelous with every power push.

Good luck.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've had PF pain upon waking. My understanding is the ligament contracts when you naturally extend your foot while sleeping. It then gets reinjured when you first step on it and stretch it out in the morning.

I used something like this while sleeping and it helped:

I have these...
IMG_1910.jpeg

Will they work?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have these...
View attachment 132475
Will they work?
I think so? I think anything that keeps you from straightening your foot while sleeping will help if it's PF. Not sure I could sleep in that thing, thought.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what that contraption is. Why does a PF foot splint have a DIN sole???

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm having a hard time figuring out what that contraption is. Why does a PF foot splint have a DIN sole???

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
In the off chance it is gout, stay away from alcohol, red meat, pork, and seafood. Been there, done that. It sucks. Is the ankle warm to the touch?
In other words, have shrimp, pulled pork, and flank steak on the smoker when they arrive this weekend? Along with a few bottles of wine?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In other words, have shrimp, pulled pork, and flank steak on the smoker when they arrive this weekend? Along with a few bottles of wine?
This is why you are our favorite.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow, OK.

Seems like it should work if you can sleep in it. You might want to add a booster strap around the calf. It's doesn't look too strong in keeping you from pulling it away in your sleep. I was always surprised how much the velcro around my calf loosened overnight.
I was joking.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Interpreting.
Interestingly, I had to stop wearing all of my Birkenstock sandals, the cork bottoms are so sunken from use that they have a lengthwise mogul before the metatarsals which aggravates the plantar plate issue.
Even more interesting, I didn't need to put a doughnut (corn) bandage pad on the spot as the runner doctor suggested, as
Oh yes, I had forgotten about the Birkenstock sandals. Those were , probably, the prime cause for the PF appearing. Mine as well were too worn out and the cork had lost all of its absorbing capacity. I wore those sandals, almost everyday from end of May to well past mid October, that year. PF appeared around that time...
Needless to say that since then I have bought new ones (Boston, sandals and a third model)
and am now planning to but new Bostons again. Simply said, need not to walk on the old and hardened cork too much, lest the PF would reappear...

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Hi,

I'm not going to try to diagnose this one, @Philpug. BUT, I've had fairly minor PF for decades. First, in college right after our ski season ended, and our lacrosse season started. First two weeks of practice were indoors on a cement floor covered by about 3/4" of rock hard rubber. Brutal.

Our head trainer was tremendous. In fact he was the head trainer for the USOC at the 1976 Olympics, the following year. He diagnosed PF. I saw him for a lot of PT, and with his help, I was able to make it through the season.

One thing that he gave me was this exact stretcher. EXACT same thing....so they have been around for at least 45 years. It does a great job of stretching much of your foot and lower leg. I've had some problems with a badly stretched Achilles'.......hiking on very soft dry surface in crappy footwear. A lot of ice and stretching with this did wonders. I stretch with it every morning and every evening....just for a few minutes. For me.....the thing is magic.

My son and daughter are both career coaches, and lead super active lifestyles. Santa Claus brought them each one of these when in their Ski academy years. 15-20 years ago....still using it.

Good luck, @Philpug. I'd get to a doc who specializes in this stuff. Just my thinking...

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Many years ago I had a bout with PF due to an injury (my sidekick ended up hitting the edge of the kendo armour). Despite my trying to walk on that foot as little as possible the inflammation would not go away, and only got worse. I finally went to ER or someplace where I was seen by a medical doctor. He gave me shot of cortizone, which really helped. Later, I went to my own MD (sorry don't recall if I got referred to him as an MD accepting new patients by the ER department or what). Upon hearing that cortizone did some good, my own MD put me on a NSAID, called Feldene IIRC. I don't know why he didn't just stick with the cortizone or some other steroid; I wasn't being drug tested for the olympics or anything. Regardless, the week or two of Feldene did the trick. Once I got ahead of the inflammation it healed up OK.

Last edited:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sorry to hear this. My PF was never a problem with ski boots, which probably says something about the specific location of the injury as mentioned up thread. Mine cropped up 2 years ago after ski season while mowing the yard in worn out running shoes. Bad idea! This was near the "nerves" in the image of @SSSdave post and in the same foot in which I broke my fibula near the ankle while skiing a year earlier than that. A couple cortisone shots, good podiatric quality foot beds in EVERY shoe I wear (threw out all the old shoes), and regular stretching of those foot ligaments have largely cleared it up. In fact, I would say a properly fitted ski boot with custom Masterfit insoles helped to make it better. Again, this suggests a different location of injury from yours.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
Oh for crying out loud! Just what you needed another medical problem. And of course on a ski trip. The pain, and frustration from the upset with your life style, can and will be remedied so stay patient, patient. Spoken by one who has suffered from PF and even many yeas of gout. It helped me to cuss a lot. Got really good at feeling sorry for myself. G. got to the point where she could ignore it, and me.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I self-diagnosed PF after going barefoot too much around the house (wood floors). It was so bad for a couple of days I couldn't walk. I went to Dr. Google and bought some heel lifts designed to help with PF. And I got rid of my ill-fitting shoes, and now exclusively wear Keen and Altra (shout-out to the others who mentioned Altra shoes - they are awesome!) My feet are wide at the ball of the foot and have been crammed into far too many less-expensive shoes over the years. Wearing good shoes and stopping with the bare feet fixed the problem. I even put PF-designed footbeds into my slippers!

Feel better soon!

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Based on your description and location, this is not plantar fasciitis. I’ve had it, probably from running in worn out shoes, and it truly hurts on the bottom of your foot.

Sponsor

Staff online