• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Plantar Fascitis or Peroneal Tendonitis

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I had it maybe five years ago. It was a bitch to even walk BUT skiing and cycling was no problem so... :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just woke up and the pain is nearly gone. Strange. I took advil and rested it yesterday. I slept through the night, from 9:30 to almost 6, very rare for me.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
In the past I had Plantar in both feet. Got better as I walked on it. If I sat down for 10 minutes it was back. It went away after about 9 months. I wore better shoes with arch supports for Plantar. I recently got it again in my left foot. This time was from wearing a pair of Georgia Romeo boots for a few days that are slightly too narrow in the heels. I was packing up to move to Virginia. I got it when I had to have TKR on my left knee. I have also had the knife below the ankle a few times that does not feel too good. This time as I was recovering from surgery it went away in about two months. Probably because I was off of my leg for the most part. I avoid hard floors as they can cause it to recur. Whatever you have I wish you a speedy recovery. I would also advise that you have a doctor look at it.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Sounds like gout to me hence why the Advil may have worked. Do you have a history of gout attacks? My doctor prescribed a super strength NSAID that helps to knock it down if it flairs up.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Years ago I had a bout of problems with my plantar fascia. I finally figured out what was causing it. The doors at work were big heavy things with metal kick plates at the bottom. Without even realizing it, I had gotten into the habit of opening them by putting my toes against the kick plate and pressing down. Quit doing that and it healed eventually.

I still can't do lunges (the exercise) -- they hurt the fascia on the back foot.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Years ago I had a bout of problems with my plantar fascia. I finally figured out what was causing it. The doors at work were big heavy things with metal kick plates at the bottom. Without even realizing it, I had gotten into the habit of opening them by putting my toes against the kick plate and pressing down. Quit doing that and it healed eventually.

I still can't do lunges (the exercise) -- they hurt the fascia on the back foot.
Exactly

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I have been wearing Hoka One One's pretty much exclusively for about 2 years. I am rarely barefoot, not with a dog and bones/toys left around the house. ;)
Imagine , thanks to insomnia I wake up every night, walk barefoot around the house in total darkness in a house with a floor disseminated of Lego pieces... :-D
I just woke up and the pain is nearly gone. Strange. I took advil and rested it yesterday. I slept through the night, from 9:30 to almost 6, very rare for me.
That looks exactly how I got over PT, lot of rest, no skiing (meaning no feet into a SkiBoot for some days) and the swell and pain were gone...
BTW, Yes, we have been derailing the thread quite some with all the talks of PF, whereas, me too am convinced that is more a case of PT (don't know about gout), sorry Phil. In any case, do go see a doc and explain him/her the problem (maybe some picture of the swollen anatomical part would also help)

Last edited:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a thought, and I dont know if you are any medications from your fluttering incident, but could it possibly be a side effect of some meds?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just a thought, and I dont know if you are any medications from your fluttering incident, but could it possibly be a side effect of some meds?
I am not on anything now.

I was able to get my foot into a warmed boot but I could not flex it. I will be taking another day off icing and adviling.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am not on anything now.

I was able to get my foot into a warmed boot but I could not flex it. I will be taking another day off icing and adviling.
Smart

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
BTW, Yes, we have been derailing the thread quite some with all the talks of PF
Yes, seems like everyone has been telling stories of their, their mother and their dog’s cases of PF. Out of all the most likely causes, @Philpug’s symptoms sound least like PF to me. Good to hear you’re feeling better. Keep doing what you’re doing.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, this is feeling more and more like Peroneal Tendonitis.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, this is feeling more and more like Peroneal Tendonitis.
I‘m still not sure about tendinitis. For all those who have had some sort of tendinitis (Achilles, patellar/jumper’s knee, lateral epicondyle/tennis elbow, peroneal, etc) did you have redness of the area over the tendinitis? I’ve never seen tendinitis cause any skin redness apart from when patients rub that area over and over again. It can certainly cause tenderness of the area. It seems to have come on too acutely to be tendinitis which is generally a more gradual onset with slow worsening. Yes, one can get acute tendinitis but that generally occurs when someone does a physically demanding activity that they’re not accustomed to doing. It still sounds more like a mild gout attack to me. Another consideration is a deep tissue contusion or bruise caused by the change in canting resulting in a change in how your boot interacts with your foot at that area. It could have also been caused by a sudden impact ie coming down hard after a big rebound or a jump that slammed your foot into your boot. A contusion can cause all the symptoms you’re having.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^ Lots of tendonitis issues and never any redness with the exception of the Achilles insertion tendonitis, after the fact, when it would become inflamed from activity.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Barefoot...ouch. Hokas on...ahhh.

Sponsor

Staff online