• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

please recommend junior skis 110-130 cm with camber for club racing

bmwr69s

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello all. Looking to buy a new set of skis for my 6 1/2 year old to use for Christmas Camp and weekend club race lessons. Will need something flat or with a binding under a 4-5 DIN. Very limited inventory of what I can find in a 120cm that is a step up from the basic starter skis available.

Have found a pair of
Volkl Racetiger Junior Multi-Event flat (120cm 12.7M) and a Kastle JX67 with a 4.5 DIN binding (120cm 9M). Of concern is the ski being too heavy, too stiff or too much of a radius for a 42 pound kid.

Any suggestions of other skis or comments on these two? Thanks

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Rossi, Head, Fischer, Nordica all make "combo" skis w/o plates. All are fine choices. I will just say, for some reason the 120's get sold out first and are toughest to find.

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
120cm seems like a little too much for a 6 1/2 YO. Honestly get them in the correctly sized boots. Dress them warmly. Serve lots of hot chocolate. Go to a shop and get the correctly sized combi ski. It’s not that big a deal...Have Fun!!!

17A2B363-E400-4CCA-AD57-394480877903.jpeg

OnEdge

Putting on skis
Skier
If helpful, certain places do season race rentals if you are having a tough time finding something to buy. If you need a reference in the Catskills or Westchester County let me know.

As noted above, many manufacturers (add Dynastar to the list) make 120 multi-event skis for juniors which is probably what you want, unless you want something at 110 for a six year old.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Eye/eyebrow height is the longest you need to go on the jr. Combi skis. They're very different than their recreational jr 'squirt'* skis in similar lengths.

* injected foam core

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don’t know jack about kids racing, but 120cm for a 42lb kid is a bit too much, no? Especially with 1 or 2 buckle boots that are soft.

Sponsor

Staff online