• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Plug Boots with Gripwalk

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
And you haven't made custom versions for them? I would have imagined that as the overall leader of a world tour, you would get whatever you want. Maybe not, unfortunately.
They’re both in stock STI 110s, Arianna Tricomi is in a stock CS 110, the guys are in stock CS 130s. They’ve got the usual changes/upgrades in place for freeriders but nothing uniquely made for them. Honestly, no bullshit, the boots are really dialed to begin with.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
And you haven't made custom versions for them? I would have imagined that as the overall leader of a world tour, you would get whatever you want. Maybe not, unfortunately.

A Gripwalk sole is the whole toe and heel lug unit, not just a slim plate, so it's not so simple. The whole toe and heel lug setup would need to be reassessed. And as the CS is a variant of the Redster racing boot line the solid lug system is what it is. You can get a plate with some tread to it but nothing as walk-friendly as Gripwalk.

Elite athletes simply learn to deal with walking on plated soles, to be frank. And they'll use Cat Tracks/Sidas/Ski Skootys/etc. to give grip when needed for walking.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Elite athletes simply learn to deal with walking on plated soles, to be frank. And they'll use Cat Tracks/Sidas/Ski Skootys/etc. to give grip when needed for walking.
Elite…except for skiers like Eric Hjorleifson (Hoji), Candide Thovex, Kilian Journet, and a number of other backcountry, side country, and mountaineering skiers that I’d call ‘elite’ who seem to like lugged soles.

Racers, sure, but racers aren’t the be-all end-all of skiing…though that seems to run counter to a lot of racers’ opinion. There are ‘elite’ skiers in other disciplines.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Racers, sure, but racers aren’t the be-all end-all of skiing…though that seems to run counter to a lot of racers’ opinion. There are ‘elite’ skiers in other disciplines.

Guity as charged - and most of these elite backcountry, sidecountry, and freeride skiers have a racing background, so...

But yes: there are many of these elite skiers outside of the alpine racing world who ski and compete on non-racing equipment. But there are also a great many who compete on alpine racing (or alpine racing adjacent) boots with solid lug+plate setups. Each skier uses what works best for their needs, simple as that.

mike^

Booting up
Skier
Elite…except for skiers like Eric Hjorleifson (Hoji), Candide Thovex, Kilian Journet, and a number of other backcountry, side country, and mountaineering skiers that I’d call ‘elite’ who seem to like lugged soles.

Candide Thovex skis 10 year old salomon spks which are a 100 flex boot
1679870426369.png

1679870460522.png

Sponsor

Staff online