• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Plug Boots with Gripwalk

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You could eliminate a lot of movements by not turning. Just straight line every run. Or, if you don’t like going fast just stay in a snow plow straight down the mountain. If you do this backwards you could also piss at the same time: save time as well as movement.

I disagree. Matter of fact straightlining in a snowplow is much more fatiguing than normal skiing-you need to push with both legs at the same time, there is no outside leg doing the job while inner leg resting, no on-off. :ogbiggrin:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Exactly. I might try them again to see how they work for pissing.

Photochromic lenses present no problem when pissing in the woods. I used them yesterday, and they were just fine, up on my forehead.....

World Cup race bindings that will never be GW compatible

I'm old enough to be really careful with the "never" thing......

Shops should have ISO 5355 soles on hand to counter that though.

Said with love, but you don't buy at the retail level, do you Matt?

I needed a pair for my new boots this season, so I could keep skiing a much-loved pair of Head Titans (signed by A. J. Kitt -- long story).

It took more than a little searching to find a set. A lot more. I damn near bought a set of GW-compatible binders for the skis, instead.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I'm old enough to be really careful with the "never" thing......

I needed a pair for my new boots this season, so I could keep skiing a much-loved pair of Head Titans (signed by A. J. Kitt -- long story).

It took more than a little searching to find a set. A lot more. I damn near bought a set of GW-compatible binders for the skis, instead.
For World Cup racing, I just don't see why GW would ever be a thing. It doesn't solve any need those athletes face nor bring any benefit to them and it would only create issues for them and the service technicians. There's simply too much sole planing, external ramp angle modification, and stance correction (abduction/adduction) going on.

True, I don't pay retail for boots or ski gear in general. But I do for bikes and other sports I partake in. And in comparison to these other sports, paying $30-50 to keep new gear compatible with older gear would be seen as a blessing, not a hindrance. The amount of different part standards, interfaces, and spacings that exist in the bike world is absolutely mind numbing and when one changes, it can render your multi-thousand dollar frame obsolete or at the very least almost unsellable. The fact that we have a relatively cheap solution to keep aging gear current is something other industries simply don't have, or even care to make. I would honestly see that as a big positive.

Now, availability (especially with spare parts) is another topic altogether and we're still feeling the residual effects of the havoc caused by COVID. Going into production for the 22/23 collection, our plastic suppliers told us (the industry at large) that we will only get enough raw material to make complete boots, and not enough to cover both complete boots and spare parts. Every month we are fighting for every ton of raw material we can get, virgin & recycled alike. It's getting better, quarter by quarter, but it's also one of those things we are strongly encouraging retailers to order upfront because the odds of them being able to call up dealer services and immediately have a part shipped to them isn't very great.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will get on my soapbox here as a fitter, we talk about standardization and @onenerdykid I will call you out here, your soles on Hawx, where we have to have L/R canting shims because you have removable soles that are designed more for form than function? It costs me 2-3 times what Cantology or other brands charge for their canting systems.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
She’s almost always on her heels. This comes from horseback riding allegedly, staying heels down in case the horse balks at the jump. I’ve tried to get her to consider the part where your up on the horse’s mane when you go over the jump. Not successful- there’s 6000 reasons.
Thread derail, and not to be mean, but is your friend… good at horseback riding?

Body position on a horse isn’t dissimilar from skiing and the heels down is a cue to keep your weight centered over your mid-foot. Hips and heels line up, shoulders knees toes line up. That way upper/lower body can move independently and you’re positioned to make quick corrections in balance.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I design, build and manufacture my own products. As such the one thing I've learned if there is a will there is a way and opens doors and money stream.

Companies or businesses that take the never approach sooner or later become extinct.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I will get on my soapbox here as a fitter, we talk about standardization and @onenerdykid I will call you out here, your soles on Hawx, where we have to have L/R canting shims because you have removable soles that are designed more for form than function? It costs me 2-3 times what Cantology or other brands charge for their canting systems.
The sole design was going forward regardless. I was overruled on that. Combine that with the fact that almost no one in Europe saw the benefit of even doing this, it's a miracle the boots even have the possibility. At least I won that fight.

Re: Left and Right - I'll grant you that it's more annoying. For that reason, it's better to have our complete set, rather than order individual parts all the time. You need to stock complete sets of Cantology too as it's rarely the case that a matching angled set is what your customer needs.

And if I change it now to a flat interface, we'll have a mix of different canting shim compatibilities for the next 10+ years (minimum time it will take to switch all Hawx boots to it) and you'll give me grief for that too ;)

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
you'll give me grief for that too ;)

We will all give you grief anyways. Struggled to find a set of XTD Prime 130’s on short notice recently. Grab’d a set from your sister company to continue my trip. (Still need to try to find a set of XTD 130 shells). You need to tell your French freinds to add some forward lean to their shift shells.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Much depends on the retailer.
The group of friends and family I hang with all have ISO 5355 sole on their Atomic boots. They just ask for it during fitting. No charge.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Much depends on the retailer.
The group of friends and family I hang with all have ISO 5355 sole on their Atomic boots. They just ask for it during fitting. No charge.

Sadly, no, just not the case with the Nordica 5355 soles when I needed them.

Pretty much unobtainium (though I heard they're out there now).

I'm a bit sheepish as to how I got ahold of a set......... :huh:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Shops should have ISO 5355 soles on hand to counter that though. Aside from boots with tech inserts, every alpine boot that comes with a GripWalk sole will have an ISO 5355 grip pad option. No need to buy new bindings or fast track things off the indemnified list ;)
That works well IN THEORY, and there is no difference between reality and theory, in theory.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Seems like it's brand/retailer dependent thing. I recalled @DebbieSue has issue locating a ISO 5355 sole for her boot at Taos. :huh:

My fitter usually offered to throw the removed GW sole into the box for us to take home. We usually declined since we had several pairs at the house.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tecnica?

I have a dozen or so pairs in stock and now know not to let any go.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nordica and Tecnica use the same soles.

Darn it, if I'd known that, I probably could have sourced a set in a slightly less embarrassing manner.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Darn it, if I'd known that, I probably could have sourced a set in a slightly less embarrassing manner.
There is a place where you can ask questions like that link ...

Sponsor

Staff online