• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Plus size active wear

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Was scrolling Instagram and caught some exciting news on the Arcteryx Seattle comment section

Attachments

• 8BF58A21-F1F3-485F-B966-5F7447401D31.jpeg
    8BF58A21-F1F3-485F-B966-5F7447401D31.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 50

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Agreed. There has been a need for great plus sized active wear for as long as I have skied. I also wish that there would be some reasonable standard for sizing of women’s ski clothes. I have 3 different size of ski pants in my rotation -S,M,L - and they all fit? Even with a brand, there are crazy fit differences. In my HH jackets (all M) some don’t allow much room for anything but a base layer.

as for length - yeah- that’s annoying. I’m 5’2” but I can’t buy petite sizing because no one told my shoulders to stop growing!

@Tricia. I’m with you … if I’m a L, they better go all the way to 4x in their sizing!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia. I’m with you … if I’m a L, they better go all the way to 4x in their sizing!
Crazy, isn't it?

My concern for the bigger people who are trying to get excited about being active is that they will be discouraged if they can't find something to wear for these activities.

We say that they should get off the couch but the clothing world hasn't made it enticing to do so. (for the most part)

Kudos to those who are doing it!!

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hah. I will just point out here that Ale think 3XL is UNDER 200lbs FOR MEN.
The Euros clearly don't look at Americans for sizing comparos. My Assos bike shorts and Castelli bike shorts are both in XL size, and I'm 5"11" sub-150 lbs.
And, thanks for the link to the Ale site.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I can definitely help with on the inconsistent sizing front. Every garment has a "sample size" that you do all of your design work on. It's the size of your mannequin and the size of your fit model. Once you have the sample size garment figured out, it gets graded up and down for smaller and larger sizes. Sample size will be the brands most popular size - almost always a medium (but I believe Patagonia's fit model is a 6). Non-sample size sizes may go through lighter fit checks or sometimes none at all. By going with a middle size like a medium, the grading has a better chance of being accurate vs, say, fitting on a size 2 and grading that shape up to a 16.

The problem is not every brand has the same most popular size / most popular body shape. Bodies change with age. There are similarities across race with some having curvier or more petite builds on average. The most business in fit forms, Alvanon, did millions of body scans and builds a default fit form for each major country market. So an XS pair of women's pants could range from a 33" hip to a 38" hip, depending on which country they prioritize.

Bigger brands can also get their own custom specs made. If I were a ski brand, I could do a mix of US and EU data, pick an age range, and add other demographic filters that I thought helped zero in on the most typical skier.

That's the reason North American-focused brands like Columbia or Flylow tend to fit differently than ones that are pushing global distribution (like Arcteryx), and that the ones that focus on Europe or Asia fit differently too.

Definitely the right move for the businesses, but a total PITA for customers and way overestimates how well customers know their own measurements.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The Euros clearly don't look at Americans for sizing comparos. My Assos bike shorts and Castelli bike shorts are both in XL size, and I'm 5"11" sub-150 lbs.
And, thanks for the link to the Ale site.

LOL, I reckon they get a few central and south Americans, what with Bernal and Quintana and Carapaz. Uran, of course, now has his own brand.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just as an FYI, Sierra currently has a few different men's TNF ski pants in 2xl, some also in short. The Freedom bib they have in 2xl both short and long.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OR has always been good about having relatively proportional sizing, too. For instance, I was delighted about a decade ago when their XS women’s rain pants were the right length and not half a foot too long because I have to be honest, if a woman with my then-waist size was 6” taller than me, she had to be emaciated.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hah. I will just point out here that Ale think 3XL is UNDER 200lbs FOR MEN.

Can we also appreciate that they don't make clothing for men that are 5'10" or 5'11"?

1626186830004.png

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
It seems like more and more ski gear is being designed for anorexic vegan abercrombie models than strong muscular athletic people. Agree on the general proportion comments too.

I’m quite fit/muscular. 5’6”, 45” chest, broad shoulders, 34” waist and thick legs. I usually end up buying a XL jacket and have to buy L pants with short inseam to accommodate my thighs.

My wife is of English descent, 5’3”, hip hop booty, small waist and fairly busty. Started skiing again last year and we had a hard time finding pants that fit. I think best thing she found was the Obermeyer pants previously mentioned because they came in regular womens sizing and short inseam.

I have found snowboard gear to be a bit looser fitting btw.

Last edited:

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
It seems like more and more ski gear is being designed for anorexic vegan abercrombie models than strong muscular athletic people. Agree on the general proportion comments too.

I’m quite fit/muscular. 5’6”, 45” chest, broad shoulders, 34” waist and thick legs. I usually end up buying a XL jacket and have to buy L pants with short inseam to accommodate my thighs.

My wife is of English descent, 5’3”, hip hop booty, small waist and fairly busty. Started skiing again last year and we had a hard time finding pants that fit. I think best thing she found was the Obermeyer pants previously mentioned because they came in regular womens sizing and short inseam.

I have found snowboard gear to be a bit looser fitting btw.
You and I are very close in size. Obermeyer and Spyder pants are the best fit for me. Both come in short which is where I struggle. My wife is also built very similar to yours and she has found the Obermeyer pants stove pipe style to fit her best and they keep her warm.

Last edited:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My problem is quite different.
Waist is 33, and when i buy medium pants, the are way too big, would probably fit a 36.
I think it's too make people feel good, like "hey, i have the same waist size as in college"

And at 5 8, and 160, my bmi says I'm overweight??

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
As an update I snagged a Burton AK 3L Hover Jacket and AK 2L Cyclic Pant - Short Inseam. Unfortunately the 3L Hover pants are only available in regular inseam. Reading reviews I think the fit should be good. When I’ve owned Burton AK in the past it’s been pretty bombproof and Burton was great handling a warranty issue.

@Rod9301 I’ve found sizing is inconsistent between different models and even the same size/same model across with almost every major brand… Arcteryx previously was pretty consistent.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online