• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Plywood..

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Finding pressure treated lumber at any price is problematic as well.
When I started my deck project at the end of 2020 I over-bought 2x6-20 pressure treated just in case. I have 6 or 7 left. I might put them up on ebay and let the bidding begin!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
When I started my deck project at the end of 2020 I over-bought 2x6-20 pressure treated just in case. I have 6 or 7 left. I might put them up on ebay and let the bidding begin!
It maybe a better choice to hold on to them because you could only sell them to someone that can pick them up, nobody will want to pay for shipping.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I buy mixed hardwood lagging at work that a year ago was $450 per mbfm bundle. It is now $950 for the same bundle. It isn't just wood thats expensive. The price of steel has gone through the roof too. I just bought some rectangular tubing for a project , $113, which was $69 six months ago. I use a lot of structural shapes at work, the price has gone from 48.50 / cwt to 85.00/ cwt in six months. And the price is so volatile, suppliers will hold their price for 3 days.
The scary part is the it isn't going to change any time soon. Steel is supposed to start dropping next quarter as mill start up again, but it hasn't happened yet. From what I hear, the price of wood may never come back to what it was.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I got my home addition built (mostly finished this past winter) just before the lumber shortage price madness. I'm attempting to finish up some projects now and it's crazy. 4x4x8' Clear Cedar post $100 !!! I was at the yard yesterday attempting to buy supplies to build a 15' fence in cedar. Just the lumber alone was well over $1500. I said: Yeah, no thanks. Switch it up; building it in PT. It's just a small privacy fence for my patio next my house, so I didn't want PT, but come-on, there's a limit to what I'll over pay for.
Clear cedar has been quite expensive for a while, even before the recent increases, at least around here. Common/knotty cedar has gone nuts now too. Try getting PVC fencing in anything other than white these days. I've been trying since March 2020 to get 2 sections of tan. I've ordered it a couple of times but ending up cancelling because nobody could give me any idea of ETA.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I dragged my feet on making a cedar step and cedar hot tub cover last summer. By end of summer, the prices were to high and product selection was gone. Fortunately for good hardwoods, I have a real supplier that hasn't raised prices.

Uncle-A

Skier
I am glad we got our projects that require wood competed last year.
Same here, got them done last year. We even had a thread about what you are doing during the pandemic.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Last years projects were the plywood heavy jobs. This summer looks like lots of flooring, a vanity, and paint on the inside. Luminant and underlay are bad enough, thank you very much.
Did notice a gallon of premium paint went from $40 to $50 in the year.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Anyone know how Trex decking has been affected? Wife is about to sign the contract for a replacement deck. I was pushing for her to wit, but not likely to happen.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Anyone know how Trex decking has been affected? Wife is about to sign the contract for a replacement deck. I was pushing for her to wit, but not likely to happen.
I'm waiting for an estimate on Azek decking and I expect it to be at least 2.5-3x the cost of the last one I did. I'm hoping it's not more. If you can get the color you want I would jump on it because it's not going down any time soon.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I am glad we got our projects that require wood competed last year.
Me, too. I paid about $500 for just the plywood in my shell. It sounds like it would be closer to $2K now.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Cross posted in the funnies thread.

Plywood.jpg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Most construction in B.C. is done with OSB but I would guess that it has followed plywood's huge price increase.

Gas prices are way up even though people are traveling way less. I recently got a $138 premium refund from ICBC, the government run B.C. auto insurance company due to them having reduced costs from paying out way less than normal in auto insurance claims.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
The customer I was trying to get the PVC fence for gave up and decided on cedar T&G instead. On Friday there were a good number(50+) of panels in stock locally so I figured I shouldn't have a problem grabbing the 2 I needed this morning. Nope. Out of stock.:doh: Online it's showing a few at a store ~1hr away.:nono:

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just going to throw this out there. 3/4 plywood is $100 a sheet here. Wtf?

$93 a sheet here, but I assume it will go up further this summer. The guy at the lumber yard paused before finalizing the sale in the register and said, "$346?" (three sheets of 3/4" ply and three 1/4" luan). I acknowledged without blinking and he said, "wanted to make sure you realized what plywood is doing now"; I'm guessing some of the folks stopping by hadn't heard about the trends and got a bit surprised. I didn't check to see if the non-pine plywood was any cheaper, I guess I shouldn't have assumed that it would have also gone up.

I think the 8' 2x4 was something like $9, too.

Uncle-A

Skier
I'm waiting for an estimate on Azek decking and I expect it to be at least 2.5-3x the cost of the last one I did. I'm hoping it's not more. If you can get the color you want I would jump on it because it's not going down any time soon.
Getting the color you want is a real choice, last November I had my roof shingles replaced and the roofing contractor could only get my second choice of color shingles. The first choice was out of stock in NJ and that was for the GAF 50 year warranty shingles. He said if I wanted to wait for the spring it might be available but the price would not be locked in at the same level. The second choice worked out fine, after the first few weeks I don't even remember what my first choice color looked like.

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Meanwhile down in New Zealand I have just received this re upcoming minimum price increases
We have had similar increases over the last 6 months
Effective May 2021:
Steel Reinforcing 12-16%
Outdoor Timber 8%
House / Anchor Piles 10%
Non-Structural Timber 10%
Clay Bricks 4%
Cement 6%
Fastenings - Structural Brackets 5-6%
Effective June 2021:
Structural Metal Roofing 3%
GIB Plasterboard & Compounds 2-7%