• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Plywood..

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Meanwhile down in New Zealand I have just received this re upcoming minimum price increases
We have had similar increases over the last 6 months
Effective May 2021:
Steel Reinforcing 12-16%
Outdoor Timber 8%
House / Anchor Piles 10%
Non-Structural Timber 10%
Clay Bricks 4%
Cement 6%
Fastenings - Structural Brackets 5-6%
Effective June 2021:
Structural Metal Roofing 3%
GIB Plasterboard & Compounds 2-7%
Timber Cladding 10%
LVL 10%
Timber Fencing/Decking/Retaining 10%
Timber Mouldings 10%
Structural Timber Scantlings (75mm - 150mm) 7%
Structural Timber Wides (200mm - 300mm) 10%
Fastenings 4-10%
Effective July 2021:
Steel Reinforcing 3-4%
Masonry 5-14%
Readymix Concrete 5%
Bagged Concrete 5-10%
James Hardie Fibre Cement 2-8%
Wet Wall Linings 4-5%
Strandfloor 6%
Fastenings 6%
Those are actually all reasonable numbers that I wouldn't have a problem with but you could add a zero to most of those percentages from what I'm experiencing lately.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
temp.jpeg

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And now they’re going to send it into space...

James

Out There
Instructor

Hah. They make the thing look huge, and it’s 4in square. I guess it’s advertising for Finnish birch plywood. Really no point to it. I’ll go out on a limb and say wood and the glues don’t do well in space.

“The main difference is that ordinary plywood is too humid for space uses, so we place our wood in a thermal vacuum chamber to dry it out. Then we also perform atomic layer deposition, adding a very thin aluminum oxide layer – typically used to encapsulate electronics. This should minimize any unwanted vapors from the wood, known as ‘outgassing’ in the space field, while also protecting against the erosive effects of atomic oxygen. We’ll also be testing other varnishes and lacquers on some sections of the wood.”

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Top it off with no one in Texas knowing how to shut off their water supply and recking their homes all while recording it for their insta account, priceless !
I had to turn mine off this weekend. Not because of cold weather, but because I had toilet to fix and and shut off valve to toilet didn't work.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Why? I suspect it will drop to normal levels as a America gets back to work and we stop paying people to stay home and twiddle their thumbs.
and they've really started stacking logs in the SE US as well. Lots of logs ready to be milled. I don't think it will be long until things come down and stay that away.

Reactions: Tex

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Glad I only need/want to purchase real lumber. A lot less expensive.

1623852300563.png

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

They should have written the article on April 1st. :ogbiggrin:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Why? I suspect it will drop to normal levels as a America gets back to work and we stop paying people to stay home and twiddle their thumbs.
I think that the lumber companies may get to like the higher profit margin from the higher price plywood and 2 X 4, 6, 8, etc. type lumber.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
I was talking to my neighbor on Monday. He owns a home building business. One of his guys picked up a load of ply to sheet a house. At a stoplight, he saw 3 guys get out of the truck behind him. They grabbed 3 sheets of ply , threw it in their truck and made a U turn to get out of there. Crazy!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Hah. They make the thing look huge, and it’s 4in square. I guess it’s advertising for Finnish birch plywood. Really no point to it. I’ll go out on a limb and say wood and the glues don’t do well in space.

Don't think we haven't spotted what you did there.

Sure there's a point - densities below 1g/cm3 and compressive strength. What else do we have on Earth that does that? There's only one thing* that's cheap enough for use as a true engineering material: polymer foams. If glues don't do well in space, those foams won't either.

I'm not particularly keen on lumber in space, mostly because lignin does degrade with radiation. But trying it is something I'm totally supportive of.

“The main difference is that ordinary plywood is too humid for space uses, so we place our wood in a thermal vacuum chamber to dry it out. Then we also perform atomic layer deposition, adding a very thin aluminum oxide layer – typically used to encapsulate electronics. This should minimize any unwanted vapors from the wood, known as ‘outgassing’ in the space field, while also protecting against the erosive effects of atomic oxygen. We’ll also be testing other varnishes and lacquers on some sections of the wood.”

Yeh, don't forget that all exposed metallic surfaces in existing satellites have to have deliberate oxide coatings prior to launch or they cold weld just through electron cloud interaction. Controlled oxide coatings on everything is just the cost of doing business.

*yes, there are also metallic foams and glass foams, but have you priced those?

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
But trying it is something I'm totally supportive of.
There’s trying and relying on it. I suspect if it completely degrades, the satellite will function. It’s like the plastic door panels on a Fiero.
Btw, has does carbon composite do in space? I would think it needs to not be exposed.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
There’s trying and relying on it. I suspect if it completely degrades, the satellite will function. It’s like the plastic door panels on a Fiero.
Btw, has does carbon composite do in space? I would think it needs to not be exposed.
Even on earth, carbon and glass composites require UV protection. Gel coats, UV resistant clear coats, whatever. My bet is that in space they need even better protection.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think that the lumber companies may get to like the higher profit margin from the higher price plywood and 2 X 4, 6, 8, etc. type lumber.
That is where capitalism shines. :ogbiggrin: <insert American Flag icon>

Sponsor

Staff online