• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

POC FIS Helmet Question

Hootbmx

Booting up
Skier
I can't seem to find the POC Orbic X FIS helmet in a store to try on. Anyone have experience with how they fit? Do they run small? My head is 59-60mm and not sure if I should go with the XL or XXL.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe you know this already, but this page:

...has the sizes listed with cm measurements as: S (53-54), M (55-56), L (57-58), XL (59-60)

That would seem to say go with the XL, as an XXL may be too large. But I don't know anything about the actual fit, and they're pretty narrow ranges.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
They feel a bit more round than oval shape if that helps. Size is typically true to size, I wear a M which is the same as my freeski helmet from a different brand (Smith).
You certainly have to try however, as the race lids don't have nearly as much play in them for good reason, oddly enough the POC FIS helmet fits slightly different than the POC free ski line. I'm good with their race line, but do not like how the freeski line fits.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have freeski in xl. My head is average xl i guess. I can imagine xxl would be way too big.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I thinking I am about your size. A large Smith fits me perfectly but the large POC race helmet is just tight enough to give me a head ache. The xl is just a bit roomy and makes me feel like Gazoo.

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Not sure if this will be any of help, but still. I have Skull Orbic Comp and I'm on XL-XXL size, while for freeride and touring I use Obex BC Spin which is M-L (my head is 58-59cm), and both fit ok, even though Orbic Comp fits nicer. As @hbear wrote, model on race hardshell helmets is different then on soft ears ones. So I'm not sure I would be buying them without trying, as contrary to modern bike helmets, where pretty much everything fits nicely nowadays, ski helmets are still far from there, and no everything fits everyone.

Gnorris2

Booting up
Skier
Not sure if this will be any of help, but still. I have Skull Orbic Comp and I'm on XL-XXL size, while for freeride and touring I use Obex BC Spin which is M-L (my head is 58-59cm), and both fit ok, even though Orbic Comp fits nicer. As @hbear wrote, model on race hardshell helmets is different then on soft ears ones. So I'm not sure I would be buying them without trying, as contrary to modern bike helmets, where pretty much everything fits nicely nowadays, ski helmets are still far from there, and no everything fits everyone.
I'd really want to try first ... my Sweet Protection Volata MIPS FIS (RH2013) fits me very well, but there's NO wiggle room at all, nor do I want any. The shape is critical even with the same diameter (my liner inner dimensions are 8.25" front-back, 5.75" left-right; another make I tried would have needed bigger size plus substantial added side pads). Plus it fits the wonky bump/pressure point on the top of my skull ...(no size can capture that :^o). Result is all day comfortable. Something to shoot for.

POC Spin, like MIPS in the SP, IS a good idea with a fit this firm. Good luck.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I am in the FIS XXL with a measured head size of 61cm and a tall forehead.

I have superfluous room on the sides from the temples to just behind the ears. There is no way that a measured 59-60 won't be rattling around in there.

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
A lot of places have POC on order. I have no idea about realistic deliveries.

TS
H

Hootbmx

Booting up
Skier
Thank you everyone for your input and help. I took a gamble on the POC Dura X-Spin in a medium-large (55-58). Although my head measures 59, the helmet does fit. It is definitely snug (especially around the ear areas) and I don't need to use the adjustment strap to make it any tighter. I wore it around the house for about an hour and didn't experience any pain or any red marks so I think I will be good!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Thank you everyone for your input and help. I took a gamble on the POC Dura X-Spin in a medium-large (55-58). Although my head measures 59, the helmet does fit. It is definitely snug (especially around the ear areas) and I don't need to use the adjustment strap to make it any tighter. I wore it around the house for about an hour and didn't experience any pain or any red marks so I think I will be good!

Watch out for the dreaded forehead pressure headache 1-2 hours in.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They feel a bit more round than oval shape if that helps.

Yes! Like Shoei motorcycle helmets. That's why I love my Artic so much and why I am not a fan of Sweet Protection helmets-the pressure these create at the temples is getting unbearable after an hour or so.