• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pocket in Ski Jacket Low Back

Speeder

Booting up
Skier
What is the purpose of the horizontal pocket located at the lumbar area of some ski jackets? Specifically what is supposed to go in there?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The only jackets I've had with that are coaching jackets. Given the age of the athletes I had I usually carried extra gaiters and hand warmers.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
What is the purpose of the horizontal pocket located at the lumbar area of some ski jackets? Specifically what is supposed to go in there?

What jackets do you see with that pocket. I find them very useful for things like overgloves and Cat Tracks. My two recreational jackets with that feature are old and I need to replace them. One is by DNA and the other by Marker. Haven't been able to find newer versions. My uniform coat with that pocket holds overgloves, the Cat Tracks and a scraper for cleaning client ski bottoms.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Back in the good old days if you could snag a small game bird, fish, or edible mammal you'd put it in your "game pocket". Places like Filson, LL Bean, and upscale hunting gear companies sell millions of coats like these. No doubt Ernest Hemingway owned some.

It takes some real cajones to destroy your silhouette like that. I bet there are zero women's coats with rear pockets.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Whatever you like to put in it without endangering yourself. ;)

What jackets do you see with that pocket. I find them very useful for things like overgloves and Cat Tracks. My two recreational jackets with that feature are old and I need to replace them. One is by DNA and the other by Marker. Haven't been able to find newer versions. My uniform coat with that pocket holds overgloves, the Cat Tracks and a scraper for cleaning client ski bottoms.

Try google searching ski jacket with lumbar pocket.

Ski patroller vest has it.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The current Whistler Balckcomb instructor jackets have the lumbar pocket. Lots of instructors carry their lunch in it.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
DH had a Spider jacket with that pocket and he loved it. Fit his big hat in there for covering helmet hair at lunch and après and acted as a lumbar cushion on the chair...

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I wouldn't care much about the silhouette. I just don't like pockets that, when filled, make the fit of the jacket uncomfortable. Some inside chest goggle pockets do that. A lumbar picket sounds interesting. I would be up for trying it.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

Whatever you want. We used to have work jackets with this... a flat water (or other) flask, spare glove liners, handwarmer packs, snacks, wax.... just a few of the things I've seen or carried.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
I have 3 jackets with the lumbar pocket, all have zip off sleeves.
FYI, banana's don't do well back there :doh:

Adam Wildavsky

Booting up
Skier
I want a jacket with this pocket! The advantage for me is that when I fill it, say with an extra layer, it provides lumbar support on the chairlift. I had a Phenix but it wore out. Does anyone know where I might find one?

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I carry "minimum carry" medical supplies that I am required to have with me at all times while working. It allows me to ski without a backpack. Slings, SAM splint, gauze, dressing, wraps, tape, medical scissors, band aids, etc.

Reactions: Ron

Sponsor