• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Since the geography of the Mid-Atlantic ski region puts the northeastern Pennsylvania and northwestern New Jersey ski hills in a far-removed market from the West Virginia and western Pennsylvania ski hills, we’ll start this Pocono-area thread, too. “Area” is a convenient umbrella for Montage, Elk, Mountain Creek, Spring, etc. I think the Catskills need to be in their own conversation.

Anyway, my cousin Wayne and I ski Camelback most Sundays, when we’re not headed away skiing. Our kids do, too, but it’s not that we ever see them. I just bought a pair of Triple Tickets, so it’s official again this year. Anyway, we’ll usually ski Elk on MLK weekend, but we might try Montage. We might try Montage a lot if the left side of Camelback becomes ridiculously mobbed now that the terrain park is sharing the Stevenson quad with the new hotel.

Always happy to bang around with a fellow pugskier (mob aside, that lower hotel bar knows their way around Moscow Mules) — hopefully this thread will make meet-ups at all the area resorts over the season at little more easy!

What’s everyone else’s local-area season habits?

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
1st 1/3 of the season for me and I just completed a short Ikon trip to Stratton which is the only travel I have planned till late January, so for me its Camelback time. Will be there every Saturday and Sunday through the holidays and beyond to at least MLK weekend. Also over the last year for some reason Thursdays have become a lighter day for me and I hope to get several weekday afternoons there. 2nd 1/3 of the season starts in February and involves more travel to Ikon east destinations but will be at CBK for the Presidents day holiday for sure. Final 1/3 (March and April) involves much more travel (east and west) so less CBK there but will still be up there when possible.

Lots of times we can be found at the East Side bar in the afternoons, sometimes the Thirsty Camel when a good band is playing.

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
In seasons past I spent the majority of my time at Elk or Jack Frost (JF due to a hook up on lift ticket pricing), but tried to mix it up and hit Montage, Camelback and occasionally Blue as well. This season will be a little different for me, as the Mrs and I decided to rent a small cottage 1 mile from Elk for the season. So, I'll be spending the lion's share of my time there, with maybe a couple of trips elsewhere for variety.

I got day one in on Saturday at Elk. Felt great to finally be back on snow. After that and stacking a bunch of firewood over the weekend I sure am sore though...

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Props to @kitchener for starting a regional thread for NEPA skiing.

Just looked at the Elk calander and Friday Jan. 11 is the annual Demo Day at Elk. Best demo day in the region in term of the number of ski companies attending, plus, deep discount lift tickets are availible from the Buckman's chain of shops, must be purchased ahead of time. Two of my memorable days on skis were doing this event with @Philpug It was extremely entertaining to see as ski junkie running around like a dog in heat! Great opportunity for Pugskiers to meet up, unfortunately knee issues will keep me away.

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Looks like lot of opportunities for meet-ups. I might even pull the occasional Thursday out of my hat. I suspect our first Sunday up there will be January 6.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In seasons past I spent the majority of my time at Elk or Jack Frost (JF due to a hook up on lift ticket pricing), but tried to mix it up and hit Montage, Camelback and occasionally Blue as well. This season will be a little different for me, as the Mrs and I decided to rent a small cottage 1 mile from Elk for the season. So, I'll be spending the lion's share of my time there, with maybe a couple of trips elsewhere for variety.

I got day one in on Saturday at Elk. Felt great to finally be back on snow. After that and stacking a bunch of firewood over the weekend I sure am sore though...

Took a ride Sunday to get the afternoon in, a no go.
Got a mile from Elk was drizzling and the mountains were white. Thought maybe they were getting snow but no was ice. Parked car up top, looked like a typical night not many cars. Got as far as the first lift and it was ugly, ice city. No one skiing but a soaked old timer who informed me the whole hill was like that, turned around and went back home

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
Took a ride Sunday to get the afternoon in, a no go.
Got a mile from Elk was drizzling and the mountains were white. Thought maybe they were getting snow but no was ice. Parked car up top, looked like a typical night not many cars. Got as far as the first lift and it was ugly, ice city. No one skiing but a soaked old timer who informed me the whole hill was like that, turned around and went back home

Sorry that you made the drive for nothing. I headed back to Philly around 10:30 AM, figuring it was only going to get slicker as the day went on.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Always happy to bang around with a fellow pugskier (mob aside, that lower hotel bar knows their way around Moscow Mules) — hopefully this thread will make meet-ups at all the area resorts over the season at little more easy!

I do like Trails End, (great patio when it gets warm) but don't go down there too much. We keep a seasonal locker so we center our activity around the main lodge. East Side bar is a little more laid back and quieter than Thirsty Camel but of course when they get good bands (like Maybabies) that place rocks and I'll dare to say it, is the best ski area bar in NEPA.

Props to @kitchener for starting a regional thread for NEPA skiing.

Just looked at the Elk calander and Friday Jan. 11 is the annual Demo Day at Elk. Best demo day in the region in term of the number of ski companies attending, plus, deep discount lift tickets are availible from the Buckman's chain of shops, must be purchased ahead of time. Two of my memorable days on skis were doing this event with @Philpug It was extremely entertaining to see as ski junkie running around like a dog in heat! Great opportunity for Pugskiers to meet up, unfortunately knee issues will keep me away.

Yes good job with starting the thread and not to steal Living Proofs or Elk's thunder but Camelback will have a Loft demo day at some point (Loft keeps a pretty good selection of skis) so anyone looking for new boards might want to check that one out too.

Looks like lot of opportunities for meet-ups. I might even pull the occasional Thursday out of my hat. I suspect our first Sunday up there will be January 6.

We'll be the loud obnoxious Jersey crew you see up there j/k. I'm sure we'll run into you a some point

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
...East Side bar is a little more laid back and quieter than Thirsty Camel but of course when they get good bands (like Maybabies) that place rocks and I'll dare to say it, is the best ski area bar in NEPA.

Yes good job with starting the thread and not to steal Living Proofs or Elk's thunder but Camelback will have a Loft demo day at some point (Loft keeps a pretty good selection of skis) so anyone looking for new boards might want to check that one out too.

Huh. We’ve rarely hit the East Side bar at Camelback — always looked closed. Have to give it a try this season. We’ve liked that third floor bar at the Glen Lodge — guess that’ll be all-new this year.

I like The Loft. I’ve done very well with kids gear, flipping gear as well as buying gear off their consignment rack. I’ve got a big store credit there now from last season when I put my Kastle MX88s out one Sunday evening after their last day under me. They were gone by the following weekend. I’m sure somebody’s eyes lit up to see a pair of MX88s sitting there.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sugar is better then dust on crust. My season starts hard Wednesday night at Elk. Been out 4 times now, wish I got more in but hasn’t paned out.

Not expecting great conditions given the weather we’ve had lately...

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^
What's the difference between "sugar on ice" and "dust on crust"? I thought they were the same thing.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sugar is better then dust on crust. My season starts hard Wednesday night at Elk. Been out 4 times now, wish I got more in but hasn’t paned out.

Not expecting great conditions given the weather we’ve had lately...

Hang in there. Going to take the optimistic route and say that the weather people I follow are predicting good things after the new year (yea sucks for the ski areas missing the holiday period but c'est la vie). BTW as I prepare to go to work this morning and have my coffee the web cams at CBK show it coming down at a pretty decent clip and I would imagine the first couple of hours this morning could be pretty nice. (sucks to be a working stiff). In the mean time going to enjoy getting out and being with fun people (including my son who is coming home for Christmas from Colorado and is going to ski Camelback with us while home) regardless of the conditions.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays everyone.

Alex

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online