• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Poles, the untethered topic?

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
My Scott Serie 4 poles have lasted me (checks notes) 32 seasons. They are strong, they last, and the parts are easily sourced.

If you want to go with carbon the Goode poles are great. I have a pair that have lasted me 2 seasons thus far, no problems save for brittle baskets that were easily replaced.

As a race coach I'm about as anti LEKI trigger as you can get. Young athletes lose these things on the regular, and as they've stuck with the same basic livery for years it's all-too-easy for athletes to take someone else's poles by mistake. When I suggest an athlete personalize their poles they pitch a fit saying "but they won't look cool anymore!" Read that as "they won't look like the World Cup stars' poles" if they're festooned with colorful tape or name decals.

And the trigger grips require either gloves with built-in loops or the strap system that inevitably gets left behind when in a rush. I've seen it all over the years and it's soured me to a system that otherwise is quite nifty.

The LEKI poles are well made, for sure, but so are all of the major manufacturers' wares. Komperdell makes excellent poles. Swix does as well. If you can find them it's always a safe bet to get Kerma poles.

Wow, I'm getting long-winded here. The TL;DR: go with a simple aluminum (or aluminium if you're of that colour) pole with a pistol grip and an old-fashioned strap with a quick-release mechanism. They're reliable and just plain work.

Just my $0.02...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Scott Series 4

Fantastic alu pole, but IMO, Scott really lost their way with the latest style of grips (I would kill for the OG version on Mrs. K's poles.

I slapped a pair of yellow LEKI racer grips on them, and good to go, as spares, but I do prefer the lightness of carbon poles, so I have Scott's carbon with retrofitted OOG Scott grips (not quite as perfect as the OG, but close.

I am a fan of Goode.

As long as you like 44-inch poles, as every other length is out of stock?

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
  • First, is low pole weight, actually a desired parameter for all advanced skiers?
  • Second, is the usual pole planting advice of while arms/hands are out in front, just flicking them down, the best strategy for all situations or just most situations?
  • Third, is pole weight more or less a factor between average, heavy, and low body weights?
For this BMI 22 person whose sloppy style over decades has tended to be what feels and works best, I suspect maybe not so. Maybe an old school thing. When I ski fresh powder as an extra light male that makes bouncing fall line SSS turns for most visceral pleasure, I use my opposite to edged side arms/hands/poles as a countering force to emphatically help smooth, balance, and increase vertical up/down forces. Likewise in recreational bumps, my out in front of my eyes pole plants, may be use to fine tune countering edge forces because as a mass at the end of my arms, they have the greatest correctional effects moving through such uneven difficult terrain. So having more pole weight is potentially a larger tool with purpose, especially for lighter skiers. See post link to Youtube videos below.

I once owned a pair of Goode carbon fiber poles. Didn't take but a few weeks of use to snap one on Look-Out-Yanek. They also had some flex I don't think I preferred versus usual stiff aluminum poles. A decade plus ago, I first spray base coat painted my current old aluminum poles primer white. Then applied some neon paint. They are wonderfully scratched now with character, thief interest proof haha.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My Scott Serie 4 poles have lasted me (checks notes) 32 seasons. They are strong, they last, and the parts are easily sourced.

If you want to go with carbon the Goode poles are great. I have a pair that have lasted me 2 seasons thus far, no problems save for brittle baskets that were easily replaced.

As a race coach I'm about as anti LEKI trigger as you can get. Young athletes lose these things on the regular, and as they've stuck with the same basic livery for years it's all-too-easy for athletes to take someone else's poles by mistake. When I suggest an athlete personalize their poles they pitch a fit saying "but they won't look cool anymore!" Read that as "they won't look like the World Cup stars' poles" if they're festooned with colorful tape or name decals.

And the trigger grips require either gloves with built-in loops or the strap system that inevitably gets left behind when in a rush. I've seen it all over the years and it's soured me to a system that otherwise is quite nifty.

The LEKI poles are well made, for sure, but so are all of the major manufacturers' wares. Komperdell makes excellent poles. Swix does as well. If you can find them it's always a safe bet to get Kerma poles.

Wow, I'm getting long-winded here. The TL;DR: go with a simple aluminum (or aluminium if you're of that colour) pole with a pistol grip and an old-fashioned strap with a quick-release mechanism. They're reliable and just plain work.

Just my $0.02...
+1 to hard no on the trigger grips. I want to use different gloves with different jackets and pants.. Want to be able to mix and match different color gloves with different color poles.. Without 10 pairs of trigger poles and gloves that ain't happening..

Good gloves in red, blue, black, grey, white (camera shy), etc..

1700326916617.png

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As a touch point, literally, pole preference is very subjective. Might be worth the trouble to visit some shops and fondle a few models.

Generally there is a bit of tension between weight and durability, as you might expect. I'm liking the Grass Sticks that have been my daily drivers the last few years. The feel is good and the look is fun. Durability is TBD but I'll be surprised if I get ten years out of them. LEKI race poles hold up very well, but you might have trouble getting them with plain straps.
This forum sure has some evocative writing. Pretty sure I never read about fondling poles on The Ski Diva.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Don't know if Kerma still makes poles.

They were durable. Last pair I bought was in 1972 Used them until a tip broke late last season.

I would have missed them more than all the boots or skis since but luckily I'd found the same model as a backup in the 90s.

Swapped the handles. They are pretty distinctive.

I use them as markers for my skis on the rack and to alert my ski buddies I'm in the lodge.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Fantastic alu pole, but IMO, Scott really lost their way with the latest style of grips (I would kill for the OG version on Mrs. K's poles.
I slapped a pair of yellow LEKI racer grips on them, and good to go, as spares, but I do prefer the lightness of carbon poles, so I have Scott's carbon with retrofitted OOG Scott grips (not quite as perfect as the OG, but close.

Yeh I am not a particular fan of the World Cup Strike Grip - my leather strap orange/black ones are still going.
1700333516908.png

If by OG Scott carbon you mean like the ones they had on the T2 pole in the late 90s/early 00s, sure.

1700333662166.png

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For me, best pole grips ever. Perfect shape and easy to adjust strap:

IMG_2444.JPG

I'd buy 3 pair of these grips at a fair price, if I could find them, but I can't (hoping the ski talk hive proves me wrong).

Scott's current releasable strap grip is horrid. If you have one molecule of xc skier in you, you will find yourself with a pole (or two) left behind pretty frequently.

TS
TahoeJoe

TahoeJoe

Getting on the lift
Skier
As a touch point, literally, pole preference is very subjective. Might be worth the trouble to visit some shops and fondle a few models.

Generally there is a bit of tension between weight and durability, as you might expect. I'm liking the Grass Sticks that have been my daily drivers the last few years. The feel is good and the look is fun. Durability is TBD but I'll be surprised if I get ten years out of them. LEKI race poles hold up very well, but you might have trouble getting them with plain straps.
Heheeeeheeee he said fondle best (Beavis and Butthead impression’)

TS
TahoeJoe

TahoeJoe

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am a fan of Goode. Don’t know what happened to the pair in the photo posted earlier but that is not my experience.
Be prepared with easily replaceable straps, baskets & even tips but the poles themselves are light & extremely durable. They also have a few inches of length adjustment built into the grip which can be handy. Mine have literally a thousand days of hard skiing.

With that said practically every racer on the World Cup uses LEKI so that says something too!
Except, I’m not racing World Cup. I’m skiing steeps, powder, and high speed groomers all mountain.

TS
TahoeJoe

TahoeJoe

Getting on the lift
Skier
For me, best pole grips ever. Perfect shape and easy to adjust strap:

View attachment 215981

I'd buy 3 pair of these grips at a fair price, if I could find them, but I can't (hoping the ski talk hive proves me wrong).

Scott's current releasable strap grip is horrid. If you have one molecule of xc skier in you, you will find yourself with a pole (or two) left behind pretty frequently.
Agreed, I have poles with the first iteration of these. Never fail. That’s why I’ve had them for 30+ years

TS
TahoeJoe

TahoeJoe

Getting on the lift
Skier
So I sprung for the Scott Sunvalley Retros in a 48’

I can always, go back to my original Scott’s, and they were. 1/2 the price I figured id be paying. I also ordered some powder baskets. So I think, I’m good. We will, see.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
+1 to hard no on the trigger grips. I want to use different gloves with different jackets and pants.. Want to be able to mix and match different color gloves with different color poles.. Without 10 pairs of trigger poles and gloves that ain't happening..

Good gloves in red, blue, black, grey, white (camera shy), etc..

View attachment 215957
Stylista in da house!

Sponsor

Staff online