• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Police shoot man who mowed down bicyclists

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just saw this on CNN: it appears a driver intentionally hit several bikers during an event. Seven victims taken to hospital; others walked in.
Police chased him and ended up in a shoot-out.
Yikes!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There's no words. This country is sick. When will it heal? When will the hate end?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There's no words. This country is sick. When will it heal? When will the hate end?
I have the same questions.

I went biking this week (MTB) and there was a trail crew doing work on one of the most popular trails, so the trail was closed. Some guy decided it wasn't closed to HIM and rode around the closed sign and proceeded to get into a shouting match with one of the trail workers. He then came out off the trail and rode past me and told me "don't plan on riding over there!" I told him I knew that the trail was closed and would be riding the other direction on a different trail. He then yelled at me for "giving him an attitude". I didn't respond.

There are a lot of angry people out there right now. I'm glad the guy who mowed down these people was caught and I hope he is charged and sentenced to the fullest extent of the law.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I tell my kids, superheroes help people and that they can be heroes just by being nice and asking people if they need help. I dunno what happened to the people who drive a truck into cyclists... Antithesis of hero.. So sad, wasted lives.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What?

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just a casual observation, acts of violence, tend to increase when people in general feel unsure of what the future holds. In the last 10-15 years or so media has been pointing out doom and gloom as the primary dish and political guidance hasn’t helped.

IMHO that general unsureness is a catalyst that starts the predisposed down that insane destructive path.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
Another article had the word intentional.

Tony Quinones, 55, of Santa Fe, New Mexico, told the New York Times that he had been riding for about six minutes with other cyclists ages 55 and over when a black pickup that had been driving in the opposite direction crossed over three lanes and headed toward the cyclists.

"I don’t know who the heck this guy is, or what his motive was," Quinones told the Times. "But he intentionally did not go left into a parking lot. He drove his truck directly and intentionally into our group, and you could hear him accelerate until he hit that telephone pole."

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This happened by us this weekend...

Vehicle crosses center line, kills bicyclist in Washoe Valley

CARSON CITY, Nev. (KOLO) - 10:50 A.M. UPDATE: A vehicle crossed the center line on U.S. 395 Alternate Saturday morning and killed a bicyclist, the Nevada Highway Patrol said.
Details about what caused the accident were not immediately available and the NHP was trying to confirm the identity of the woman who was killed.
It happened on U.S. 395 Alternate about a mile north of the Eastlake Boulevard interchange.
At about 7:44 a.m. the vehicle was heading south and the bicyclist was heading north when the crash happened.

The road was closed and reopened about 10:35 a.m.

The crash happened at about 7:44 a.m.
Copyright 2021 KOLO. All rights reserved.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Another article had the word intentional.

Tony Quinones, 55, of Santa Fe, New Mexico, told the New York Times that he had been riding for about six minutes with other cyclists ages 55 and over when a black pickup that had been driving in the opposite direction crossed over three lanes and headed toward the cyclists.

"I don’t know who the heck this guy is, or what his motive was," Quinones told the Times. "But he intentionally did not go left into a parking lot. He drove his truck directly and intentionally into our group, and you could hear him accelerate until he hit that telephone pole."
I think it's unsurprising that a witness might say "intentionally" based on inference. I would probably do that upon witnessing the "behavior" of the vehicle. If you're a journalist, on the other hand, you have an obligation to ask the question, "Was the driver really trying to hit the cyclists, or was s/he having a heart attack or texting or something?"

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, he fled the scene and then had a shootout with the cops, so yeah, I'm ruling out heart attack.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, he fled the scene and then had a shootout with the cops, so yeah, I'm ruling out heart attack.
:roflmao:

Yeah, I was trying to be generic.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Tony makes a good point ... Don't jump to conclusions... However the shootout kinda tipped me off on this one .. :geek:

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Nowhere in either article linked here does it say the driver was in a "Shoot-out". He was shot by the police, shoot-out, by definition, involves two sides shooting at each other. Just trying to keep things fact-based.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Here are some quotes from the two articles linked upthread. A cyclist in the race used the word "intentional," not a journalist. There is no mention in either of the articles of the driver as having a gun.

Tony Quinones, 55, of Santa Fe, N.M., said he had been riding for about six minutes with other cyclists ages 55 and over when a black pickup that had been driving in the opposite direction crossed over three lanes and headed toward the cyclists.

He assumed the driver was turning into a parking lot.

Instead, he said, the driver plowed directly into the cyclists who had been ahead of Mr. Quinones in what he described as a targeted attack.

“I don’t know who the heck this guy is, or what his motive was,” Mr. Quinones said in an interview on Saturday. “But he intentionally did not go left into a parking lot. He drove his truck directly and intentionally into our group, and you could hear him accelerate until he hit that telephone pole.”
After the driver hit a utility pole, he said, cyclists ran up to the truck and started pounding on the windows, screaming at the driver to get out.

But rather than stop, the driver hit the accelerator and backed out, drove down the road, made a U-turn and then headed back toward the cyclists, he said.

Mr. Quinones said he had feared that the truck was going to hit cyclists again, but it sped past.

According to police, a suspect in a Ford F-150 hit bicyclists at about 7:25 a.m. local time during the event in Show Low, a city about 180 miles northeast of Phoenix.
The suspect fled the scene and was pursued by police, who engaged and shot the suspect behind a hardware store.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Here's more.
https://www.abc15.com/news/region-northern-az/show-low/cyclist-hit-in-show-low-bike-race-speaks-out

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...e17ccc-d1e8-11eb-b39f-05a2d776b1f4_story.html

Authorities were trying to determine why the man driving the truck rammed into the group of cyclists participating in the annual 58-mile (93-kilometer) Bike the Bluff race that drew hundreds of participants. He was shot by police nearby outside a hardware store in Show Low, which is about a three-hour drive northeast of Phoenix. The truck had damage to its top and sides and a bullet hole in a window.
“We don’t know the motivation,” said Show Low city spokeswoman Grace Payne.
Payne said the driver did not comply when officers tried to arrest him, but the circumstances of the shooting were not immediately made public.

TS
tch

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ummm.... I'm an ex-college English professor and all for accuracy with language. And I appreciate the clarity that some have provided as the difference between implication and facts.

But: in all this pedantry, have we lost sight of the fact that some a$$hole felt compelled to drive into a peloton of cyclists and had to be chased down and eventually shot by police???

What does this say about our society? And what can we do to reclaim the civility and respect for others we seem to have lost?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
, have we lost sight of the fact that some a$$hole felt compelled to drive into a peloton of cyclists and had to be chased down and eventually shot by police???

No. We just can't do anything about it. Other than shoot the a$$holes preemptively. Which effort would require a GoFundMe/Kickstarter campaign just to afford the ammo, let alone the legal fees.

We can, however, be better about explicit and implicit statements. And it's almost free.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All kinds of stuff about this in the Facebook bike community. Bike Law reports the guy has priors. Two DUIs and an aggravated assault. And has not been charged.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January