• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

POLL: Least favorite winter weather?

GET RID OF ONE

• Total voters

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm not a fan of Sunshine Village as I prefer Lake Louise. "Sunshine Village" one of the greatest misnamed mountains in North America. Even the "Village" part is BS.

I guess I shouldn't be too critical of Sunshine Village as it isn't foggy all the time; sometimes its just flat light. :ogbiggrin:

My Canadian friend calls sunshine village the biggest lie as there's never sunshine and there's no village lololol.

Not a fan of the trails above treeline but I've had fabulous days everywhere else. I've never been there when it wasn't puking powder. Love goats eye and all the different sections. Loved the ski out to the parking area, that was fun.

I do have lots of love for lake Louise as well.

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
If I had to give up skiing in fog, I'd have to give up skiing.

Bitter cold happens to be my FAVORITE condition. Empty slopes and wonderful light conditions.
26171999_10155914409817488_3923474761635221631_o.jpg

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I called skiing atop Sunshine village in Banff akin to skiing on the moon. Above the treeline and wind blown snow sliding sideways. It was very disorienting to me. The first time I kept falling over, felt like agador in the birdcage when he tried to wear shoes lol.
Yup. I thought it was the wind "blowing" me over. Then I realized it was my lack of balance because I couldn't tell if I was stopped or still moving. It was the craziest thing I ever experienced.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Yup. I thought it was the wind "blowing" me over. Then I realized it was my lack of balance because I couldn't tell if I was stopped or still moving. It was the craziest thing I ever experienced.

It was very freaky. Glad someone else experienced the same thing. Michael was up ahead waiting for me and I kept thinking he was probably going what the F is wrong with her, she keeps falling over lolol

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yeah, on the foggy days I always say they got the spelling wrong; it should be Sun Peeks. Really though most foggy days it is just the upper alpine area in the fog, leaving the lower mountain and 5 and a half (Burfield mid station) chairlifts below the fog.

I take it that your wife is an excellent skier...or she doesn't ski much...or she sticks to the easy runs only. :)

Yep, Some Peeks of the Sun. :beercheer:

Wife has superb balance and always skis well within her capabilities. Will do a black run when the bumps are widely spaced. No longer does dbl blacks. Style needs some work however I've learnt only to offer advice when asked....:mask:

SkiSVLikeAgassi

100% proud ski and tennis bum
Skier
Can put up with everything except fog.
If you can't see where you're going, what's the point? Besides, being up there taking in the beautiful mountain views plays a huge role in my enjoyment of skiing. I find skiing with extreme fog depressing, frankly.

Sunny bitterly cold days are my favorite!
But any kind of sunny conditions will do just fine...

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Fog is not bad if one is skiing the right terrain. Runs down the gullies below the W/B Crystal chair comes to mind. Can't see a thing but I know exactly where I am by the feel of my skis on the snow. Completely skiing by braille. Just relax and let gravity work.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Fog is not bad if one is skiing the right terrain. Runs down the gullies below the W/B Crystal chair comes to mind. Can't see a thing but I know exactly where I am by the feel of my skis on the snow. Completely skiing by braille. Just relax and let gravity work.

Fog is not bad if....right terrain....know exactly where...by braille....relax :thumb:

Fog less fun... know terrain is riddled with holes, rocks, snow ghosts, drop-offs, cliffs, wolves, ice dragons...no idea where... by terror... tense AF

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Once on Aspen Mt, the only way I could find the bottom of Chair 3 was by listening for it.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Fog less fun... know terrain is riddled with holes, rocks, snow ghosts, drop-offs, cliffs, wolves, ice dragons...no idea where... by terror... tense AF

Not my cup of tea.
I am more of a "path of least resistant" kind of guy. :beercheer:

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
Low visibility weather is ok if skiing trees, at least for me. I learned to enjoy snowy foggy days when I am skiing trees. Of course first I had to learn to ski trees semi-decently, still working on that for steep trees runs but having more and more fun every time.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
I voted rain/mud as least favorite conditions, though honestly if it's not a downpour rainy/drizzly weather skiing can be fun too, the snow is usually soft and nice consistency, also less people. I won't ski when the runs are muddy for low coverage and will not ski in downpour. :)