• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Porsche Dakar

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The new all-electric Macan should be hitting the order board at any moment. I’m 2d on my dealer’s list for it. I’ll have to choose then between the current GTS version or the new electric. But I also could stick with my Cayenne hybrid. No idea which way to go at this point which means I’ll probably just keep the hybrid.
That’s a tough one. But not a bad problem to have.
Sort of an inversion of “ cutting the cord” .
I suppose it’s all about access to charging and your comfort level. All electric is the future it’s just a question whether it makes sense for your immediate future :)

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Talking of BMW losing their brains, this video is a decent summary:

That is a great video. A complete holistic overview from activist investors , internal politics and what happens when you only go halfway and not all in.
I bought my first rusty BMW in 1978, a 71 2002 and owned two more successively until 1995. Still my favorite car . I also owned an 88 528i . These were great cars , built with the driver in mind and completely capable in every respect.
Times change and manufacturers have to change with them. However, BMW used to lead and now they follow.
And yes, I too hate those huge kidney grills.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here are the Porsche photos from the LA car show as asked for 2 versions of the Dakar and an RS GT3
7D601FB1-8619-476F-8FE9-48263B5F1AC9.jpeg
35C139F4-4DB2-4A97-86A3-F3A3E7DBBB59.jpeg
7D601FB1-8619-476F-8FE9-48263B5F1AC9.jpeg
35C139F4-4DB2-4A97-86A3-F3A3E7DBBB59.jpeg
856B6A0A-D9DA-4BA4-9368-D42571150527.jpeg
24204FB4-CD62-4977-B42A-F7656B8BD256.jpeg
502D9106-14CB-4A06-BC8D-50F867A0090A.jpeg
E8332AEB-C80B-4759-BE8D-E88A38EBD062.jpeg
4BE4ED76-77BA-4EDB-9A06-44E5FD8CFE32.jpeg
E78A38C5-0182-4270-8B74-7C11C7F19BA0.jpeg

Attachments

• 0BA20689-2D41-44E0-9780-46BC6421B93F.jpeg
    0BA20689-2D41-44E0-9780-46BC6421B93F.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 0

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As @Lorenzzo asked, here are the rack attachments.
They look standard , different than the ones in the publicity photos which looked larger and more aerodynamic.
who knows…optional or prototype eye candy ?
Personally, I prefer the rack less, gray version.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Boy, those Dakar seats look a wee bit aggressive. Thanks for the firsthand pics!

The new all-electric Macan should be hitting the order board at any moment. I’m 2d on my dealer’s list for it. I’ll have to choose then between the current GTS version or the new electric. But I also could stick with my Cayenne hybrid. No idea which way to go at this point which means I’ll probably just keep the hybrid.

Might be tough to downsize in the luggage space department from Cayenne to Macan?

Question: Did Porsche ever address the rear seat folding challenge in the Cayenne? Ages ago, after a test drive, I was ready to write an order. Decided to fold down the rear seat, and walked away.

At that time, you had to "tumble" the lower cushion forward, the fold down the backrest, resulting in an inability to move the driver's seat back far enough for my 6'2" frame.

The disappointed salesman, who was a good friend of a good friend, noted that he had never had a customer fold down the rear seat during a test drive. Never.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
As @Lorenzzo asked, here are the rack attachments.
They look standard , different than the ones in the publicity photos which looked larger and more aerodynamic.

Exactly. These look like regular slide-in-tracks.

who knows…optional or prototype eye candy ?

I suspect the proto had a different, possibly thinner roof design that doesn't allow for inset track.

Personally, I prefer the rack less, gray version.

Functionality wise, I completely appreciate that they're trying to add rally lights and a rack without causing a vortex and separation against the back window. I'm sture that 'box' has more specific aero features than any Thule ever made.

Styling-wise, I'm with you all the way; I'll bet the rackless version looks even better in person than in pics.

The 'box' as shown in the show looks like someone took a look in the Star Trek parts bin and said

'Oh, here's an engine nacelle, we're going to need some pylons for it'

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Boy, those Dakar seats look a wee bit aggressive. Thanks for the firsthand pics!

Might be tough to downsize in the luggage space department from Cayenne to Macan?

Question: Did Porsche ever address the rear seat folding challenge in the Cayenne? Ages ago, after a test drive, I was ready to write an order. Decided to fold down the rear seat, and walked away.

At that time, you had to "tumble" the lower cushion forward, the fold down the backrest, resulting in an inability to move the driver's seat back far enough for my 6'2" frame.

The disappointed salesman, who was a good friend of a good friend, noted that he had never had a customer fold down the rear seat during a test drive. Never.
I remember those seats. The current 9YO series has conventional SUV folding ones.

My Cayenne hybrid has smaller cargo space than the other iterations due to space taken up by electric components/battery. The cargo difference isn’t significant for me. If I did need more space I’d probably get a roof box as I had on an Audi Q5 which is about the same size as the current Macan.

The motivator would be to have a winter car that drives like a true sports car. The Cayenne Hybrid is over 5,000 pounds although it drives, tracks and handles amazingly well. In some ways it handles better than the lighter models, Porsche really put effort into the design. But when my 992 goes into the garage for winter I’d still like to have something similarly nimble.

@cantunamunch’s question and the discussion about styling is appropriate as the Dakar is really a collector’s or showroom car. When they do see the light of day it would probably be on paved roads. Maybe it’s just me as I won’t even take my 992 out on snowy gravelly roads yet it handles extremely well in frozen conditions. Many owners do.

The 992.2 is likely going to offer hybrid versions. The current 0-60 on ICE models is already per testing under 3.0 for all but the base. You can’t really use that on streets. Adding a battery increases weight but probably not real world performance. We’re looking at sub 2.0 0-60. As it is the benefits of going to a model over an S or GTS is mostly the badge which for many of us isn’t motivating.

The more you think about the current environment, the more sense a hybrid makes. If they had a Macan Hybrid I’d be all over it but they’re skipping that to go all electric.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I did need more space I’d probably get a roof box as I had on an Audi Q5 which is about the same size nearly the same car as the current Macan.

FIFY. ;)

Admittedly, the Macan is gorgeous, while the Q5, is, um, not that gorgeous.

Yeah, we'll go with that.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Exactly. These look like regular slide-in-tracks.

I suspect the proto had a different, possibly thinner roof design that doesn't allow for inset track.

Functionality wise, I completely appreciate that they're trying to add rally lights and a rack without causing a vortex and separation against the back window. I'm sture that 'box' has more specific aero features than any Thule ever made.

Styling-wise, I'm with you all the way; I'll bet the rackless version looks even better in person than in pics.

The 'box' as shown in the show looks like someone took a look in the Star Trek parts bin and said

'Oh, here's an engine nacelle, we're going to need some pylons for it'
Yes, the gray version looks better in person. That’s the beauty of that design- it can only really be appreciated in 3 dimensions. And there isn’t a bad angle to be found. Aesthetically, that’s my issue with the rack- it kills the roof line and the entire curve from top to tail. Sort of like putting sunglasses on the Mona Lisa.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Reactions: JCF

Sponsor

Staff online