• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Porsche Dakar

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
1984-Porsche-911-Paris-to-Dakar.jpg

2023-Porsche-911-Dakar-Rallye-Design-package-profile.jpg

2023-Porsche-911-Dakar-group.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sublime! I posted a quicky on this in the Fun Car thread and nobody bit.

I mean, forged red tow hooks, less than a quarter mil base price, what's not to love?!

Hoping to see one in the wild when we head to SV this winter!

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
Man, that thing looks fantastic. Love the heritage livery but I think I love that light green one even more. My only knock against recent 911's (aside from being unable to afford them) has been their inability to allow for meatier tires with some sidewall. Well, they've finally solved that problem.

Slight tangent: the Dakar is gorgeous, but I'd like to see Porsche build a more accessible version out of their current parts bin: i.e. a 2-door Macan. I think it would look amazing, while costing half as much as the 911. And given the Macan's popularity and Porsche's tendency to iterate everything to the hilt, I'm kinda surprised they haven't already done so.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Slight tangent: the Dakar is gorgeous, but I'd like to see Porsche build a more accessible version out of their current parts bin: i.e. a 2-door Macan. I think it would look amazing, while costing half as much as the 911. And given the Macan's popularity and Porsche's tendency to iterate everything to the hilt, I'm kinda surprised they haven't already done so.

I don't know - I think Porsche are treating their customers a bit like game companies treat gamers.

The big priority in an evolved ecosystem with multiple iterations is to give the proven spending leaders something to aspire to. Or rush towards.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I don't know - I think Porsche are treating their customers a bit like game companies treat gamers.

The big priority in an evolved ecosystem with multiple iterations is to give the proven spending leaders something to aspire to. Or rush towards.
Yeah agree. So many add ons and oooh I need this new widget when really I've never clipped an apex ever,...

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier

I'm not really familiar with the gaming world, but If I've understood the analogy, you're saying Porsche is nickel-and-diming people - and extortionately so - with their options and their marginally-improved iterations (e.g. C4S--->C4 GTS), and I would totally agree. It's crazy what they get away with. I guess my only point is: as long as they're playing that game, why not provide one more variation? As ever, people will vote with their wallets.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm not really familiar with the gaming world, but If I've understood the analogy, you're saying Porsche is nickel-and-diming people - and extortionately so - with their options and their marginally-improved iterations (e.g. C4S--->C4 GTS), and I would totally agree.

I don't disagree with the point you make but I was trying for something slightly different:

The people who spend the most and are furthest down the rabbit hole need variations that go to 11 of the things they already have - because otherwise you lose them. And they want to upgrade the things they have significantly more often than anyone at lower tiers.

Porsche know this very well and will always devote more R&D to keeping the top end happy and hungry for more than to providing variation to the bottom and middle tiers of the cake.

Whether we like it or not, the lower and middle tiers are not the preferred wallets.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Man, that thing looks fantastic. Love the heritage livery but I think I love that light green one even more. My only knock against recent 911's (aside from being unable to afford them) has been their inability to allow for meatier tires with some sidewall. Well, they've finally solved that problem.

Slight tangent: the Dakar is gorgeous, but I'd like to see Porsche build a more accessible version out of their current parts bin

Two years from now. You have my guarantee. As their clientele ages (even more) they will hear them saying "heck, I kinda wish it had as much ground clearance as my Outback".

I'm not really familiar with the gaming world,

Same. But this makes me remember that for anybody else that doesn't really give a rip about Thanksgiving football, I cannot recommend highly enough that you sample Mystic Quest. So. Good. Centered around gaming, but not about that at all. Brought to you by the Sunny in Philly guys......sorry for the OT.

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
I don't disagree with the point you make but I was trying for something slightly different:

The people who spend the most and are furthest down the rabbit hole need variations that go to 11 of the things they already have - because otherwise you lose them. And they want to upgrade the things they have significantly more often than anyone at lower tiers.

Porsche know this very well and will always devote more R&D to keeping the top end happy and hungry for more than to providing variation to the bottom and middle tiers of the cake.

Whether we like it or not, the lower and middle tiers are not the preferred wallets.
Ahh, gotcha. That does make sense. Well, I suppose I now have marginally more empathy for upwardly mobile Macan owners than I do upwardly mobile 911 owners :ogbiggrin:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For my tastes (not to mention budget) the ideal version of this car would be called:

911, Base, Lifted.

Then I'd proceed to drive it all winter in all weather and road conditions without reserve.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I dropped off my 911 at the spa yesterday for an engine rebuild. Local guy that used to work at a dealer and has a 4bay garage. Right now he has a beautiful 356 in there, a 1970 Targa restoration and a 993 track car. There were 3 or 4 motors in there waiting for cars too. One was carbuerated 2.4 liter which was pretty cool.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Except they are making cars that are pretty legit. I don’t think that’s their priority as much as it’s car guys having fun with a car that’s been in production for 60 years.….and making money from it. And without fancy iterations the automotive press forgets about you.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
I dropped off my 911 at the spa yesterday for an engine rebuild. Local guy that used to work at a dealer and has a 4bay garage. Right now he has a beautiful 356 in there, a 1970 Targa restoration and a 993 track car. There were 3 or 4 motors in there waiting for cars too. One was carbuerated 2.4 liter which was pretty cool.
I just tucked mine away for the winter

6B3552F0-7FD0-4B37-A18D-FF5D9FA0D815.jpeg

Except they are making cars that are pretty legit.
I don’t think Porsche has changed their priorities.
Times however have changed. You can’t build cars in a garage (or saw-mill) anymore and expect to survive as a company - much less one that builds cars with state of the art engineering. Hell, they are getting into F1 AND the highest level sports car racing (don’t think Porsche Penske are not in it to win that overall)
I just visited the factory - and that place is mind boggling - it is immense and still under construction. Awesome. You can feel the energy of the enterprise.
All that takes billions of buckets of money and give them credit, unlike Ferrari they don’t JUST make cars for the very wealthiest.
True, they also make very high quality fun and practical cars for lesser bank accounts. If those “boutique” models are not GT3’s they are still excellent cars - and they are able to sell enough to be able to make the cars they have always made, to run at the front at the track and at the forefront of technology.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid