• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Porsche Dakar

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I just tucked mine away for the winter

View attachment 183824

I don’t think Porsche has changed their priorities.
Times however have changed. You can’t build cars in a garage (or saw-mill) anymore and expect to survive as a company - much less one that builds cars with state of the art engineering. Hell, they are getting into F1 AND the highest level sports car racing (don’t think Porsche Penske are not in it to win that overall)
I just visited the factory - and that place is mind boggling - it is immense and still under construction. Awesome. You can feel the energy of the enterprise.
All that takes billions of buckets of money and give them credit, unlike Ferrari they don’t JUST make cars for the very wealthiest.
True, they also make very high quality fun and practical cars for lesser bank accounts. If those “boutique” models are not GT3’s they are still excellent cars - and they are able to sell enough to be able to make the cars they have always made, to run at the front at the track and at the forefront of technology.

I drove a newer 991 Turbo the other day and my god, that car is fast and tight. VERY well built. Has tons of tech (I prefer the low tech manual trans. cars) including the pdk but the handling and feel are still amazing. A bit subdued and refined but extremely sharp. Stupid fast though, maybe too fast.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
I drove a newer 991 Turbo the other day and my god, that car is fast and tight. VERY well built. Has tons of tech (I prefer the low tech manual trans. cars) including the pdk but the handling and feel are still amazing. A bit subdued and refined but extremely sharp. Stupid fast though, maybe too fast.

yes - the variety of truly Super Cars Porsche makes (even if not as exotic looking as other Super Cars ) is extraordinary.
And I agree - I wouldn’t trade my SWB for a new 911
And really, So many cars with so much wasted horsepower…

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
yes - the variety of truly Super Cars Porsche makes (even if not as exotic looking as other Super Cars ) is extraordinary.
And I agree - I wouldn’t trade my SWB for a new 911
And really, So many cars with so much wasted horsepower…
To Phil's point, do you really want to leave the road at 120mph? Maybe 50mph in a Miata is a better plan...

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here’s a Porsche for you, circa ‘97 ( The) skis optional
25A4BAA1-CA43-4A3A-B09B-0D4C98CF845D.jpeg

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You can’t really explore modern Porsches without a track.

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For sure. Then they are too pricy to track ahh the dilema…
And the fun thing about tracking is you can have your GT3 and learn limits for safety on roads. My area has some good roads.

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
…and ive been down that road, get another set of wheels and tires for track, then have to do brake jobs, fluid changes… gets real expensive really quick. But. If you have money to burn it rules. Humm the Miata looking great right about now. Too bad I dont fit well

Then theres the first gen Porsche Boxster. More brakes and handling than power so it can go on forever on the track and doesnt chew threw tires and brakes. Cheap and reliable. Like a much better miata.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
…and ive been down that road, get another set of wheels and tires for track, then have to do brake jobs, fluid changes… gets real expensive really quick. But. If you have money to burn it rules. Humm the Miata looking great right about now. Too bad I dont fit well

Then theres the first gen Porsche Boxster. More brakes and handling than power so it can go on forever on the track and doesnt chew threw tires and brakes. Cheap and reliable. Like a much better miata.

Racing on any level in any car is a completely different $tory.

One of these days I want to do the Porsche Experience Center tin LA or Atlanta - you can try a bunch of different cars on different tracks. That would be very fun.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Racing on any level in any car is a completely different $tory.

One of these days I want to do the Porsche Experience Center tin LA or Atlanta - you can try a bunch of different cars on different tracks. That would be very fun.

I go to PECLA, there's one in Atlanta too. Their cars, you pay a daily rate and can fully insure. They'll make you take a driving instructor until you've proven your skill level. Taking a lap with an instructor driving is worthwhile as they already know the limits. With some of the instructors, bring a paper bag and hold it open in your lap. It's way more affordable than tracking one's own. If you want to try a 992 GT3 you can although it's...ahem...a bit more expensive than other 911s which don't exactly disappoint on their track.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am assuming Frank Beddor's brother?
Note: The Ski ... "Skittles"
Yes- there were 3 Beddor’s all great skiers all sponsored by Bobbie Burns at one point or another IIRC , saw them at USSA events in the late 70’s-early 80’s.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I went to the LA auto show last weekend and saw the Dakar . I had seen pictures prior but it’s still impressive in the way that any Porsche is impressive. What was more interesting/disappointing was the absence of Audi, BMW and Mercedes. Porsche and Volkswagen were there but no Audi? So, overall it was…meh, some nice Polestars for those who crave a beautifully executed Scandinavian executive sedan . BMW has taken leave of their senses so no loss I suppose. All in all not much to get enthused or excited about . I suppose I’m jaded but LA is the largest high end market in North America. Perhaps the German big 3 assume they sell themselves here. If so, I’d caution them about other “Big Three’s” who’s hubris led to a devastating loss of market share.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I went to the LA auto show last weekend and saw the Dakar . I had seen pictures prior but it’s still impressive in the way that any Porsche is impressive. What was more interesting/disappointing was the absence of Audi, BMW and Mercedes. Porsche and Volkswagen were there but no Audi? So, overall it was…meh, some nice Polestars for those who crave a beautifully executed Scandinavian executive sedan . BMW has taken leave of their senses so no loss I suppose. All in all not much to get enthused or excited about . I suppose I’m jaded but LA is the largest high end market in North America. Perhaps the German big 3 assume they sell themselves here. If so, I’d caution them about other “Big Three’s” who’s hubris led to a devastating loss of market share.

You're not wrong, but there are nuances... CARB's ZEV mandate possibly not least.

Anyway, did you snap any pics of the rack towers and their clamping?

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You're not wrong, but there are nuances... CARB's ZEV mandate possibly not least.

Anyway, did you snap any pics of the rack towers and their clamping?
I have a video of the Dakar - it’s on my daughters phone - I’ll post it later today. I think the towers are clearly visible at some point. As you would expect, the presentation is well done and the attention to detail is typical of Porsche.
Agree with you on the ZEV mandate. The subtext of the entire show seemed to be that ICE are on the way out. One glaring exception to this being the new Corvette which is impressive as a barely legal road car.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a video of the Dakar - it’s on my daughters phone - I’ll post it later today. I think the towers are clearly visible at some point. As you would expect, the presentation is well done and the attention to detail is typical of Porsche.
Agree with you on the ZEV mandate. The subtext of the entire show seemed to be that ICE are on the way out. One glaring exception to this being the new Corvette which is impressive as a barely legal road car.
The new all-electric Macan should be hitting the order board at any moment. I’m 2d on my dealer’s list for it. I’ll have to choose then between the current GTS version or the new electric. But I also could stick with my Cayenne hybrid. No idea which way to go at this point which means I’ll probably just keep the hybrid.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January