• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Porsche rebuild

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Are you being facetious?? It's a glorified VW motor!! :ogbiggrin:
Ive rebuilt a couple of air cooled vw engines, but they only had two of those ginormous holes in each half of the the block, so porches must be better since this one has 3??

I love the sound of an air cooled porsche motor. I once heard a Fuhrmann four cam running at the vintage races in san diego, that thing was magic to my ears!

Very cool @Erik Timmerman !

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
But on a 12 mile drive to get to a special surf spot after big nor’easters that were coming through 2 a week in ‘93 - we would leave before the plows finished cleaning up
and that little car never got stuck, and I would even use the snowbanks to stop and redirect the rally turns in the excitement to get to the break.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ive rebuilt a couple of air cooled vw engines, but they only had two of those ginormous holes in each half of the the block, so porches must be better since this one has 3??

I love the sound of an air cooled porsche motor. I once heard a Fuhrmann four cam running at the vintage races in san diego, that thing was magic to my ears!

Very cool @Erik Timmerman !
Yes, 50% more gooder :ogbiggrin:

Back in the early 70's, I had a 66 912. Great little car. Compared to VW's I had up to that point, you could feel how much more competent the chassis was at high speeds. I would love to have one now....but that's above my pay grade unless I hit one of these billion+ lotteries LOL

I still have the high performance VW motor I ran in the late 70's. Was a touch more powerful than that 912 motor. Hoping to have it resurected this year. Even have the dual Zenith 32 NDIX carbs; real old school, none of the Chinese stuff that you get now

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
How about showing us the rest of the car ?
How are the shell/suspension/trans etc ?

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
1674315024753.png

Not to turn this into a All Things Porsche Thread - but one good Porsche deserves another.

This will be interesting

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Nice - I’m sure you are deep in this but don’t forget the injectors and fuel lines cause “while you are there”. Plus the crank position sensor if never been done - sucks while motor/gearbox in the car.

super jealous but the die was cast for mine, they made a lot of g-bodies so, maybe I’ll get back in the game when life settles.

Here is mine before right before I sold it this past April:

View attachment 189711
That is a beautiful machine! I've always been a sucker for blue. Did you replace it with something else?

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@Slemers - thank you - no, not yet. We sold our house (so no garage), pcar market was on fire and interest rates headed up - figured it was a good time to head for the exit. Have a friend that works for BaT, so it went. obviously, market is still strong for really good cars, as this one was. Did not really want to try and sort out storage in a hot, salty humid environment. Oh well.

color is Venetian Blue, not super rare, but not common either.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Slemers - thank you - no, not yet. We sold our house (so no garage), pcar market was on fire and interest rates headed up - figured it was a good time to head for the exit. Have a friend that works for BaT, so it went. obviously, market is still strong for really good cars, as this one was. Did not really want to try and sort out storage in a hot, salty humid environment. Oh well.

color is Venetian Blue, not super rare, but not common either.

Beautiful car. Stance is perfect. Was it lowered ?

I get it on selling. The thought comes to mind every year about this time as mine sits in the garage waiting for Spring. But for what I paid for it in 2004 and the little it has demanded over the years in exchange for the unique and irreplaceable joys it brings, it just doesn't add up. It is a myth that theses cars are expensive to maintain. Just do the maintenance, and on the early cars that is easy.
The time will come as it does with everything - but not yet....not yet

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@JCF right before COVID I had the suspension redone, new bushings, turbo tie-rod mod, it came back slammed and I asked them to put back to the Euro spec height. So, it was a little lower than a US car.

You are absolutely correct. Super, silly simple cars, just stay up on maintenance, do a little research to avoid the “Porsche-tax” on parts. Bosch and Mahle made a parts for a lot of cars.

BTW - this car spent some time in Maine early on.

Sponsor