• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Porsche rebuild

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just right !
Euro spec on mine as well.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Slemers - thank you - no, not yet. We sold our house (so no garage), pcar market was on fire and interest rates headed up - figured it was a good time to head for the exit. Have a friend that works for BaT, so it went. obviously, market is still strong for really good cars, as this one was. Did not really want to try and sort out storage in a hot, salty humid environment. Oh well.

color is Venetian Blue, not super rare, but not common either.
At least you got a good price for itogwink

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
It got to the point where I was afraid the car would literally burst into flames. Apparently that can actually happen. The heat exchanger or whatever in the exhaust was pretty full of oil.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Back in the 70's when VW dune buggies were the rage I attempted to build a kit car that would crush all those girly-mobiles. The car was a Deserter GT, it consisted of a light weight monocoque chassis with a VW tansaxle turned midships and the Corvair engine of your choice. I found a decent motor that had the original 4 into 1 carbs and replaced those with a Holly 4 barrel. I built the engine in my bedroom and the chassis was in the carport. I was about 22 years old at the time and way, way, way, over my head. Progress was slow, I had competing interests and I had dumped enough money into it to buy a pretty nice Corvette, Instead of being my dream car the damn thing mocked me for years and my friends were relentless. I couldn't finish it, it was too much, so I sold it for about half of what I had in it.

The motor was almost complete when I sold it but about a week after the guy hauled it out of my bedroom he called me up and complained that the distributor didn't turn when the crankshaft was moving. He acted like I owed him something - I disagreed.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It got to the point where I was afraid the car would literally burst into flames. Apparently that can actually happen. The heat exchanger or whatever in the exhaust was pretty full of oil.
Yes- that happened to a friend. Tried to get through the summer months by putting at least two quarts in on a regular basis thinking/hoping the rebuild could be delayed until fall/winter. He had a haylon extinguisher in the car so the fire damage was minimal but still not cheap.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Back in the 70's when VW dune buggies were the rage I attempted to build a kit car that would crush all those girly-mobiles. The car was a Deserter GT, it consisted of a light weight monocoque chassis with a VW tansaxle turned midships and the Corvair engine of your choice. I found a decent motor that had the original 4 into 1 carbs and replaced those with a Holly 4 barrel. I built the engine in my bedroom and the chassis was in the carport. I was about 22 years old at the time and way, way, way, over my head. Progress was slow, I had competing interests and I had dumped enough money into it to buy a pretty nice Corvette, Instead of being my dream car the damn thing mocked me for years and my friends were relentless. I couldn't finish it, it was too much, so I sold it for about half of what I had in it.

The motor was almost complete when I sold it but about a week after the guy hauled it out of my bedroom he called me up and complained that the distributor didn't turn when the crankshaft was moving. He acted like I owed him something - I disagreed.
That's probably how 90% of kit cars ended up. My older brother started one. After 10+ years gave it to his son. After another 10 years he got it back, and eventually it went to the scrap heap. LOL

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Another embarrassing detail from the Deserter GT debacle... About 3 years later, after I had given up on the damn thing I was thumbing through the classified ads in the St Pete Times and ran across an ad for a Deserter GT. It had to be mine, I knew it. So I called the guy and played dumb and asked him a bunch of questions about the car. He told me that it was awesomely, dangerously fast and that he considered that both he and his son would likely be killed in it eventually if he kept on driving it. As appealing as that sounded, I was sorely tempted to tell him who I was and maybe go down there and take it for a spin, but then he went on to add; "yeah I bought it from some kid that lived off of Gandy Blvd - had the car in his bedroom for 5 years and couldn't finish it".

I just didn't like his tone of voice - and that's how I escaped certain death at the wheel of an overpowered roller skate.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Fuller, you have clearly been emotionally scarred by the kit car adventure.

I suggest cleansing, satisfying redemption in the form of any of these:

I've seen a few completed versions, and they are the real deal.

On topic: @Erik Timmerman, what is your estimated timeline for completion? Not a small undertaking.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Some updates. Engine going back together. Brake calipers cleaned up. Found a hole in the transmission casing, salt corrosion by the speedometer sending unit. Most of the oil was gone. 089E3626-4D70-4076-8479-1BB28E360A00.jpeg
C69A8BD5-CEA0-4B04-8E67-81BE633AB991.jpeg
258FD3B0-B095-4A4F-89A9-1BAFE5A604F6.jpeg
BC76E030-395B-4AE3-9B2B-A0D466DF9B4A.jpeg
90839034-6F4E-4161-8329-7FA37750894A.jpeg
FAB85878-EB4D-49E3-BC22-9D79F72AEE46.jpeg
089E3626-4D70-4076-8479-1BB28E360A00.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online