• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I know that some of us travel with a pretty impressive tuning set-up.
Although I have not had the necessity of tuning on the road, because I am geographically blessed, I have a few road trips planned.
Show and/or tell us how you like to keep your boards ready on the road.

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
A lot of lodges used to have tuning rooms to keep the ski wax out of the guest rooms, but none of the places I have reservations at do.
I guess there is always newspaper.

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
This looks interesting.
SkiTune2.jpg

SkiTune1.jpg

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
And for those serious about their waxing tables, how about this?
s-l1600.jpg

And for those really serious about their waxing tables, there is this.
s-l500.jpg

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
And for those serious about their waxing tables, how about this?
s-l1600.jpg

It’s a complete piece of junk. I think it’s really meant to be a start table rather than a real tuning table. It’s useable, but I definitely don’t recommend one. The Swix Economy table is ok. The Beast table is probably the best value for occasional use.

Something like this would work on the tailgate of the Silverado.
f565f727-913a-4bf6-b999-7197636feeec_1.cc8dc622095c025c76f842ab31d59796.jpeg

Possible but doubtful. You probably need to connect the inverter directly to the battery. The irons draw a lot of amps. See how big of a fuse powers the 12v outlet.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just have a couple foldable metal sawhorses which I clamp my vices to. Think I paid about $30 for the set.

Super small and compact and can still handle some pressure when you are scraping.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Seriously, though... if you use the fiberlene paper method, instead of (most or all) scraping, there is very little mess.
I've successfully diamond stoned edges (with an angle guide) with the skis in my lap sitting on a park bench.
One condo building had those luggage carriers stored in the elevator lobby of the garage, and there happened to be an electrical outlet. The hook on the top was great for routing the electrical cord from an iron or base-weld soldering iron.

The one time I tried tuning skis inside (in a tiled area) figuring I would "just be careful" made me realize that is a bad idea. (Included scraping - before I learned about fiberlene).

@KingGrump travels with a tuning kit that includes a real drop-cloth.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I have collapsible sawhorse with a 2x4 on top with holding braces on top. I use an old sheet underneath to collect dust and wax. I don't have a picture of it exactly, but I used one these sawhorses.

Z2uNLuocpEx_.JPG

This would even be simpler.

9116bb8595faa7052cb8f25753b20f1f.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Who else has :nono: used the motel iron to wax skis? :roflmao: Used to keep a couple files, stone, waxes, ptex, lighter, scraper, cork in the boot bag side pocket back in the day. Now I just bring MORE SKIS and tune them again when I get back home.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Gee I don't go anywhere long enough that I feel I need to tune much... I'll bring a stone and scraper. If I am traveling by air I put a heavy coat of travel wax on and scrape then let the mountain burnish the rest.

Racing is different. Just stop racing ;-p

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
One of my ski buddies has one of these. Attach a couple of vises or maybe just some friction material to the top of the fins:
1959 caddy.jpg

The would work like a charm and be stylish too.

That's not entirely a joke. I've been thinking about how to attach a couple of beams to fold out of the back of my hatchback. If I had better fabrication skills I might be able to make something to support a ski and still not take up too much room in the trunk.

dm

Last edited:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
This is a great bench. Holmenkol. You see a lot being used. Not super portable. They weigh a ton. But they are rock solid. Adapt to uneven flooring. Adapt to any ski length. Racks for skis and brushes.

I've worked on a lot of other portable benches. Beast, Swix, etc. IME, no comparison.

This is Artech's ad. They are pricey. We have three. Total cost for all three combined was a fraction of the current price here for one. If I were in the market, I would still buy this one. We have owned ours for 15+ years. They last.

http://www.artechski.com/holmenkol-tuning-bench-includes-ski-racks/

Last edited:

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Blue Streak If you only need the bench for one trip, Denver Sports Lab rents tuning benches.

I hope I didn’t come across as overly harsh above, but I don’t know anyone who owns that specific Swix travel bench you posted who would buy another— myself included. Now, if you do have one, you can cut the legs, bend, splice and re-weld and they aren’t too bad. There is a technique to using them that is easily learned, or you can just buy a decent bench like @Muleski suggested. If you don’t mind the cost of the Holmenkol bench (it really is the standard all others are judged against), but you can’t stomach the weight, check out Cool River RSE. He makes a bench similar to this one (https://shopcoldriver.com/products/pro-tuning-table) that is designed for international air travel.