• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Don't remember. ...
It's been about a year since we got rid of some stuff and moved the bench back about a foot. I still haven't relocated the hanging power cord....

"The Cinch"? https://www.slidewright.com/the-cinch-ski-snowboard-vise/

1651198008017.png

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
"The Cinch"? https://www.slidewright.com/the-cinch-ski-snowboard-vise/

View attachment 167781

Yeah, that seems to be it. Unfortunately not for sale and not in the listings. That seems to be an orphan page. How the heck did you find that?

The current "Tools4Boards Cinch" doesn't look as nice -- the top surface doesn't swivel out of the way.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Put this together - actually the base and “posts” were already together as it was a cut deck stringer I found at the dump.
I just adapted it and glued some old MC inner tube on it and added an old wood vice.
At the limits of “portable” but does have handles.

Attachments

• 549472DA-39D5-4D39-8F43-DAF6251C78EC.jpeg
    549472DA-39D5-4D39-8F43-DAF6251C78EC.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 11B097B4-B8DA-4F57-99BF-084502B929F6.jpeg
    11B097B4-B8DA-4F57-99BF-084502B929F6.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 45

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
While it is technically portable...I was looking for more stability when mounting and waxing. The extending arms really keep the tips and tails stable when buffing.

View attachment 45114 View attachment 45115 View attachment 45116 View attachment 45117

I plan on changing the table top to a different material.
I have the same “portable” stand (miter saw attached) and just built a wall mounted bench that I’m waiting on the top to mount to it.
The plan was to put the portable stand where the orange box is with the orange taking the spot of the blue box.
I was going to use the portable for edges and the wall mount for waxing-scraping.
I’m now thinking my plan sucked.
At the house we moved from I had the orange box under the bench and had to remove the 5” castors for it to fit. I didn’t like not being able to move the box and built this wall mount where it wouldn’t be an option to have the orange under it.
The portable for edges isn’t needed and the space saved having the orange under the wall mount seems like a better idea than it being mobile.
I will have to move the furthest support bracket 6” to make room for the width of the box.
The top for the wall mount will be from our existing solid surface kitchen countertop that we are having replaced in a few weeks.
When we moved in to this house Mrsjmills offered me an extra bedroom in the basement (for tuning only) that I passed on.
Maybe the basement is the better option…..

8C62E14D-9249-4F5D-AFE6-83DE190C8308.jpeg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have the same “portable” stand (miter saw attached) and just built a wall mounted bench that I’m waiting on the top to mount to it.
The plan was to put the portable stand where the orange box is with the orange taking the spot of the blue box.
I was going to use the portable for edges and the wall mount for waxing-scraping.
At the house we moved from I had the orange box under the bench and had to remove the 5” castors for it to fit. I didn’t like not being able to move the box and built this wall mount where it wouldn’t be an option to have the orange under it.
The portable for edges isn’t needed and the space saved having the orange under the wall mount seems like a better idea than it being mobile.
I will have to move the furthest support bracket 6” to make room for the width of the box.
The top for the wall mount will be from our existing solid surface kitchen countertop that we are having replaced in a few weeks.
When we moved in to this house Mrsjmills offered me an extra bedroom in the basement (for tuning only) that I passed on.

View attachment 174369
I was just wondering why you put caulking on the support structure of your bench?

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
The basement is never the better option. A garage with the door open or outdoors on a permanent bench is best. You gotta work in a pleasant space and eliminate all the wasted motion like climbing stairs or setting up folding benches or plugging in power tools.
dm

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
The basement is never the better option. A garage with the door open or outdoors on a permanent bench is best. You gotta work in a pleasant space and eliminate all the wasted motion like climbing stairs or setting up folding benches or plugging in power tools.
dm
I have a walkout basement. Tuning area has pegboard and a place to hang my portable speakers. Not every basement is a dark hole.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 174369
I decided that the orange box would be better under the bench. I had to move the furthest support out to get the room for the box under it. I measured twice and decided 5” out from where it was would give me room for the box
Having to remove the bottom ledger that I had used plenty of lag bolts on, I was surprised I had it down and back together as quick as I did while moving the support 5” out. Having to remount the horizontal 2x6s for the top to sit on I realized that measuring twice didn’t matter since I didn’t account for the 1.5” overhang from each of the 2x6s.
I had planned on keeping the castors on but my mistake meant I now didn’t have the height. Had I measured correctly and used the castors, the bench top would have been at 42”, without them it’s at 37”. I’m ok with this mistake.

69DF616B-2000-41A9-863E-FB30AD7FFA2D.jpeg

A good 3/8” on either side once I leveled the front of the box
7131B501-0D0F-483E-9694-7ECA991256C8.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online