• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Post Statute of Limitations Confessions.. AKA Stupid Stuff You DId On Skis

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
OK many things as a grom, but probably the closest I've come to getting my ticket ripped after becoming a legal adult was throwing a heli off the pile of snow/turn in bump in to a lift corral.. There wasn't anybody close to where I landed but the liftees were not impressed.

Looking back, what wasn't such a great idea after all?? Bonus points for x-rays..

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Gunning for a empty spot on a chair at the now Palisades shortly after a powder day Silvy opening. Big line so thought it only sensible to grab the single. Unfortunately I mistimed the next fixed grip chair coming round from where I was entering the load zone and had to hit the deck to general heckling.

But was actually being stupid on a snowboard I think.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is a very good thread idea.
Should be some interesting stories. :popcorn:

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Going switch......in the Family Fun Zone.
97e60538f6f5f0b0e93cfc6d756acac3.jpg

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
Trying to limbo under a SLOW sign on the front side of Lake Louise. Would have made it too if I had not tried to glance forward. Instead caught the tip of my nose on the bottom of the sign throwing me full into the back seat. I had a chance to recover until I hit the cat track and caught air. At that point I realized it was either lay out flat or orthopedic surgery so I gave up and transitioned into yard sale mode. I think my (then) fiance, (now wife) finally stopped laughing shortly after her flight out from Kalispell.

That is all.

For now.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Got into an argument with a dude who cut in line ahead of me while I was waiting my turn at the starting gate during night league. A dude, moreover, who wasn't even IN the league. A dude with excessive attitude, in my view.

It was Glen Plake.

Those of you who know me can well imagine that learning this shortly after the fact did NOT make me apologetic. Quite the contrary, in fact.

In hindsight I wish I had settled for rolling my eyes like I usually do.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Where to start.

The latest I guess.

My first day this season on my second run I wasn’t balanced properly over my edges on one turn and fell over on to my side, sliding out of control right toward two ski patrollers and a very young little girl. One of the patrollers slid forward to block me from hitting the little girl. I popped back up and into turns 20 feet above them but still…….pretty embarrassing. I apologized as a skied by.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got into an argument with a dude who cut in line ahead of me while I was waiting my turn at the starting gate during night league. A dude, moreover, who wasn't even IN the league. A dude with excessive attitude, in my view.

It was Glen Plake.

Those of you who know me can well imagine that learning this shortly after the fact did NOT make me apologetic. Quite the contrary, in fact.

Rolling one’s eyes is always the safest option.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier

It was Glen Plake.

Snaked a guy in the lift line on a quiet Spring day at Bachelor a number of years back. Come to find out it was Mr.GS. That would be the only time I could pass him. I'm a dumbass.

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A Story Worth of This Thread Posted on FB by my Friend John Rutherford of Weatherford, Texas:

Fly Like an Apache By John Rutherford

A pair of snow skis were stolen from me one Sunday afternoon, January, 1978 at Ski Apache in New Mexico. The guy that stole them figured the owner drove back to Texas for work or school. Brave enough to ski on the stolen equipment on Monday, he never counted on getting on the chairlift with a still pissed off rightful owner. I looked down and saw my name staring up at me as it was embossed in front of the bindings.

I chatted the guy up a little after settling in the lift for the ride up the mountain. I could tell by his get up he worked for the mountain as a lift operator. I figured since he was a local he’d ski off before I could deck him. So…I pushed him out of the chairlift over a big deep gully filled with powder snow. I knew he’d never get out of there without the help of the ski patrol. Probably the most satisfying moment I’ve ever lived, his terrified look up at me as he fell thirty feet into a deep gully.

People on the lift that saw me push him out were screaming at me when I got to the top. I skied directly to the Patrol hut knowing that the folks in the chair behind me would be going there to tell on me.

I told the patrol what happened and why, they calmed down. I got my skis back, but had to take an ass chewing from the Ski Patrol. By the time I got to the bottom of the mountain with my skis, the story was all over the mountain. I didn’t have to pay for dinner that night.

The Rossingnol Roc 550’s with Look Nevada Grand Prix bindings, made it home to Texas rather than to a pawn shop in Roswell, New Mexico.
Sometimes the bad guys don’t win, and sometimes you have to grab the bull by the horns and make a situation work for you.

Last edited:

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
It was my first time at Mt. Ellen at Sugarbush. Snowing hard, windy- pretty tough to see. Ended up skiing into and taking out 2/3rds of the North Ridge Express corral :roflmao:
Lifties laughed as I re-built their maze.

That's the only funny one. Drinking and night skiing in my 20s not as funny but hey, still here to tell the tale! I remember taking a leak in the center of the trail and double-ejecting on a huge heap of groomer-piled snow chunks.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
OK, I didn't do this on skis, but I did have ski boots on. Back, long ago in the 70s when I was on ski patrol at Stevens Pass I was hanging out in the patrol building after day shift and one of the guys asks if I want to go smoke a joint with him. We went outside, looked for a place that wasn't public and ended up on the snow bank right above US 2. It was dark and snowing hard. We were well into the stuff, and it must have been pretty good as we were entertained watching the cars drive by and into the parking lots, etc. Here comes a snow plow with the snow blower attachment spewing snow way into the air and adding to the bank! Wow, man, that was really far out! We sat there watching it and talking about it.

Suddenly we realized that the snow blower was on our side of the highway and we were sitting on top of the TALL snow bank created by said snow blowers. It was made of ice chunks, sand, and a lot of loose snow. The plow was approaching fast and was really close. We were about to be nailed by said ice chunks if we didn't skedaddle out of there; so there we were, trying to run in ski boots through soft, nearly bottomless garbage sinking up to our waist at times. It was like being in a really sloowww motion movie and we were giggling our heads off even though we were facing our possible mortality.

We made it, but just barely. Wow, man.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A couple of years ago, skiing at what is now known as Palisades. A woman upslope from me lost her ski and it started traveling towards me. It didn’t start out traveling fast, and I thought I could stop it with my (gloved) hand. The loose ski picked up speed, bounced off something, and sliced under one of my skis, causing me to slowly face plant with my skis splayed out and wedged behind me. The pitch was steep and I had to brace myself with my elbows to keep from sliding and tearing up my knees. I couldn’t reach my bindings to release them so had to lie there until I could get untrapped. A couple of the people I was skiing with said I looked lifeless lying there. Definitely a stupid move and bad judgement on my part.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I got yanked around the top terminal bull wheel by my back packs waste strap one time while in patrol uniform.

it scared the crap out of me as for a very brief moment I saw myself dangling below the chair as I went back down the hill. Luckily I hit the safety gate before that happened.

I bought the crew the first pitcher that night after work at the lodge.

Sponsor

Staff online