• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Post Statute of Limitations Confessions.. AKA Stupid Stuff You DId On Skis

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Skied Deer Valley 6 times over 20years.

1. Mega-demo Tried the K2 Stein Erickson ski- their most expensive ski. Worst ski ever. couldn't wait to finish a run an get rid of them.
2. Following locals in powder run. The patrol was the bottom of the run and yanked about 10 lift tickets. Stayed on upper lifts with no ticket the rest of the day !
3. During 2002 0lympics. bus required. Driver dropped us at bottom of parking. He said afternoon pickup would be at same place. Wrong We had to hike back up the hill in ski boots.
. . had to ski thru an airport metal detector (no events that day) Ski boots stolen on a local town bus -long story.
4. wardrobe malfunction. ski suspender broke. had to jury rig a solution.
5. Skiing near boundary on skiers left. Suddenly the lifts and trails were not on the map. I had gone thru the woods and was skiing 2 or 3 runs at Park City on a Deer valley ticket !
. . PC patrol said I had to ski down and take a town bus back to Deer Valley. Luckly it was the end of the day.

6. Last year. Nothing weird happened. Jinx must be over ! ! !

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I'd like to participate in this thread more... but I can't think of anything egregious I've done, having not skied very much when I was younger and stupider.

I did watch a friend of mine slowly ski backwards off the side of the run (which was built up through snow-making, so had a sizable drop into the woods) without realizing it. He was talking to me at the time - about how easy it was to learn to ski backwards. I warned him too late to turn back around, not realizing he didn't know the drop was coming. He was thankfully OK though - just a bit bruised from some rocks.
This wasn't Uncle Louis at Snowbasin was it ?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This wasn't Uncle Louis at Snowbasin was it ?
No. My friend was going backward at Ski Liberty in PA.

Unfortunately @Uncle Louie did something similar and got hurt. I think - although I wasn't right there, I was elsewhere on the mountain - that he skied off a little drop onto a cat track in low vis, and got whipped around backward, rather than skiing backward.

That said - I hope he's doing great... @Uncle Louie, or @SugarCube ... how ya doin'? :)

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Mine are in the category needing a statute of limitations -- -they are just dumb.... and I wasn'tthat young.

There are pictures around here somewhere... I was waiting for people at the line for the Leneway lift at A-Basin, standing next to @Old boot and chatting. The maze there is on a built-up snow platform to make it level. Some question about his skis came up. He says, "I don't know, I just ski them." I say "Let me see if the specs are printed on the tail" as I slide backwards trying to read the small print. Whooops! I forgot we were on a platform. Went backwards under the rope and off the platform. The world dropped out from under me and I had no idea what happened till I was lying in the snow.

A different year at A-Basin (last spring ) we were entering the Beavers. The first pitch had some nice bumps, so I was bopping down at a pretty good clip to rejoin the guys who had gone first. They were waiting on a raised flat spot just before it got steep. I planned to go up the rise, brake on top, and stop next to them.

It turns out before it had bumped up that first pitch was a run-in and the "raised area" was a kicker for a jump. I hit it at speed. The first time I knew something was wrong was when I went flying past @James horizontally. Landed quite a bit downslope. On my back in soft snow. I was fine.
Another A-Basin story at a gathering (20 yrs ago).

I'm skiing under the Pali lift and come across a ski laying in the snow. I figured someone on the chair had knocked a ski off.
I picked the ski up and had just started to ski down when someone in the woods started yelling "you're stealing my ski. Stop"
It was Susan - @Segbrown ! I had actually figured out ahead of time it might had been hers as she posted a picture of her unusual new skis on the defunct ski group.

Sponsor

Staff online