• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Post Statute of Limitations Confessions.. AKA Stupid Stuff You DId On Skis

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We truly harassed snowboarders when they were first allowed at Mary Jane. We repeatedly yelled at them to go back to the Winter Park side. Snowboards screw up "our" bump lines and are not welcome at the Jane. Three decades later, not much but the yelling has changed. ;)

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I only do stupid stuff at Apre’….

Example 1: At Snowbird.. we left our skis at ski check, spent some quality time at Tram Bar and took bus home to our condo at “The View” along the Blackjack Traverse. The condo was ski in/out…so the next morning we realized we are idiots.

Last edited:

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Why is that funny? All the wine gone?? That's not funny..
When skiing in Spain, those botas made great cushions! Impact or whatever! Just don't break open the OG ones lined w/ tar!!!!!! OMG :geek:

FYI the tar botas first have to be cured with brandy before you can use them for drinking wine!!

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Inexperienced with t-bars, years ago, I rode with a friend who was much smaller than I was. As we progressed upward, the bar leaned progressively to my side, until I was tossed out and rolled down the rocky ledge on the side (it was summertime, so no snow on the sides). I had to pick up all my gear that had come off and trudge back down to the bottom while being heckled from above.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Mine are in the category needing a statute of limitations -- -they are just dumb.... and I wasn'tthat young.

There are pictures around here somewhere... I was waiting for people at the line for the Leneway lift at A-Basin, standing next to @Old boot and chatting. The maze there is on a built-up snow platform to make it level. Some question about his skis came up. He says, "I don't know, I just ski them." I say "Let me see if the specs are printed on the tail" as I slide backwards trying to read the small print. Whooops! I forgot we were on a platform. Went backwards under the rope and off the platform. The world dropped out from under me and I had no idea what happened till I was lying in the snow.

A different year at A-Basin (last spring ) we were entering the Beavers. The first pitch had some nice bumps, so I was bopping down at a pretty good clip to rejoin the guys who had gone first. They were waiting on a raised flat spot just before it got steep. I planned to go up the rise, brake on top, and stop next to them.

It turns out before it had bumped up that first pitch was a run-in and the "raised area" was a kicker for a jump. I hit it at speed. The first time I knew something was wrong was when I went flying past @James horizontally. Landed quite a bit downslope. On my back in soft snow. I was fine.

James

Out There
Instructor
It turns out before it had bumped up that first pitch was a run-in and the "raised area" was a kicker for a jump. I hit it at speed. The first time I knew something was wrong was when I went flying past @James horizontally. Landed quite a bit downslope. On my back in soft snow. I was fine.
Yeah…that’s why we stopped there. Did no one get a photo?
The guys waiting to actually take the kicker were amused.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
More of a stupid thing that caused me to lose an hour on skis. I was living in the Chicago area at the time and skiing Vail for my 1st time probably 30 years ago. Me and my brothers skied together the 1st half of the day. We decided to separate for the 2nd half of the day since we all wanted to ski different terrain. Our plan was to meet at the Lionshead base at 3pm to take the bus back to our condo. Keeping an eye on my watch throughout the afternoon, I arrived to our designated meeting spot promptly at 3pm. As I sat, I was getting more and more frustrated as the minutes passed and my brothers didn’t show. My watch read 4pm and my brothers finally arrived. Fuming, I asked them why they were an hour late and they informed me that it was actually 3pm. I had forgotten to change my watch to mountain time for the trip so I arrived at 3pm central time/2pm mountain time. I felt both stupid and sad.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
One spring trip to A-Basin I forgot to change my alarm clock from Eastern to Mountain Time. I drove up to the mountain around "opening time" and wondered why the place was so quiet.
But you got a good parking spot!

Posaune

sliding
Skier
In the 70s while on ski patrol duty at Stevens Pass on a powder day I skied a short, steep drop called "Winnie Chute" in full view of the intermediate Brooks chair. I killed it and felt like a ski god until I hit the groomer at the bottom of the chute where I totally botched the transition from powder to groomed and had a yard sale. As I began to pick myself up I could hear up and down the lift peals of laughter and the call of "ski patrol!" I found out that it's hard to slink away after a fall like that.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's another one.

Skiing down Aspen Highlands after a wine and cheese party for our lodge at Cloud Nine, a bunch of us were egging each other to ski the Wall. I went, crashed pretty hard halfway down, and the rest of the group chickened out. After I got myself put together and skied to the bottom, I found the rest of the group in the bar. I guess they were the smart ones.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One spring trip to A-Basin I forgot to change my alarm clock from Eastern to Mountain Time. I drove up to the mountain around "opening time" and wondered why the place was so quiet.
for Western trips the trick is to stay on Eastern Time. Get up and be on the slopes before anyone else... early dinner then all fresh, bright eyed and bushy tailed for the next day!!! Added bonus is you get to the mountain, depending on where you are, before all the Avy clearing closures. They close the gate behind you and the mtn employees and you have the entire mtn to yourself till lunch. Talk about a pow day!!! :beercheer:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One spring I was at Taos and realized upon waking that we had "sprung ahead". I woke and it dawned on me that I was flying home out of Santa Fe in under an hour! I threw my shit together and flew down to the airport averaging around 85 or so. Got there only to find a few folks locked out of the airport. A plane landed and after another 10 minutes or so the pilot and co pilot walked up the the fence. They the airline who called the ticket agent guy who was still in bed. lol.

I just left my rental car there and gave he keys to the ticket agent guy.

Then there's the powder morning my friends and I got up early to get on the tramline at JH which can start building well over an hour before it moves. Only upon getting there I found I had left my boots at the condo.

Which reminds me of the time we were staying in Waitsfield and decided to ski Stowe and on getting to Stowe I realized my boots were still in Waitsfield. Fortunately I learned that lesson and have not forgotten to bring my ski boots since 1990.

Seahaven

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Realizing at the moment the lift chair reached the four of us that the quad chair was really a triple. My wife's boss nearly snapped his leg.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In high school we used to mess with each other a lot. I remember coming up behind my friend as we were nearing the gates for the lift line and popped his binding with my pole as I skied past. They wiped out. It wasn't my friend. I wouldn't have blamed them if they kicked my ass. It was the last time I played that game.

Sponsor

Staff online