• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
how-to-sell-your-house-1.jpg

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Son of a Beech ?

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
I used to use ice cream - it slips down the throat before they know what happened! Unfortunately, my male has pancreatitis so zero human foods allowed. I hide it in canned food now. Fortunately, he's a feeding frenzy kind of guy! My female is pickier and tougher.

You have to hide the pills in cheese do you? It works well but I think bacon works better.
Edit. Peanut Butter is also a good idea.
don't bother hiding the pill - use 2 hands, one with the pill and the other with the treat, just toss the pill first - most dogs are so fixated on the treat they swallow the pill automatically.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
My drop aren't treat catchers. It bounces off their noses and they keep waiting for me to hand it to them. As to pills, every dog I've ever had needed their own method. On dogs 9 & 10 now. Current old lady I pry open her mouth on the left and shove the pill behind her teeth with the right. Pill pockets only work with dogs who don't chew.

Nothing works with tramadol except mortal combat.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Pill pockets only work with dogs who don't chew.
I tried the pill pockets with gabapentin for my old girl. Crunch! Spit. The pocket was big enough that she didn't try and swallow it all at once. I started breaking the pocket into four pieces. I roll one piece up, flatten it, and wrap the capsule with it. She swallows that. I get these from Costco.
20220127_095638.jpg

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I am in the camp with @Sibhusky on the dog pill thing. When you are dealing with a geriatric dog the game becomes way more complicated. We are down to one 14 year old 10 pound Maltese with his share of heart problems (3 pills twice a day) and he is a picky eater to complicate the issue.
Some days he likes fried burger, grilled burger, steak, sausage, cheese, bacon, eggs, chicken,... and some days not. It is our job to out guess what he wants and hide the pills, his part of the game is to locate the pills and leave them. We will even douse his food with bacon grease occasionally with mixed reviews. He has been accepting homemade chicken noodle soup for nearly 2 days so that run is about over. Max likes this game a lot more than we do.
If he were younger I would starve his little butt till he ate; being an old man I just can't do that to him. Force is not an option with his background.
Would gladly consider any suggestions.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Big dogs are hard. Small dogs are like cats. Grab them by the scruff of the neck, flip them on their back, shove the pill to the back of their throat, and keep them flipped until they swallow. Done and done. YMMV, but that's always worked with my critters.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Would gladly consider any suggestions.
Here's what worked for me with my last 2 dogs. 3 slices of hot dog, each probably 1/4" thick. The first slice has nothing in it. Hold it down so they could verify it's "clean" and then inhale it. Slice 2 has the pill and is in one hand. Slice 3 has nothing and is in the other hand. Put the hand with slice 2 in front of them, followed immediately by the hand with Slice 3. In their haste to get to Slice 3, they swallowed Slice 2 so fast that I don't think they ever realized there was a pill in it.

It also worked with chicken or cheese, but it was really easy to poke the pill into the middle of a slice of hot dog.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
don't bother hiding the pill - use 2 hands, one with the pill and the other with the treat, just toss the pill first - most dogs are so fixated on the treat they swallow the pill automatically.
Piece of cheese (or something).
Piece of cheese.
Piece of cheese.
Piece of cheese.
FakeTheCheeseGiveThePillPieceOfCheese.

Sponsor