• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
FB_IMG_1664580267088.jpg

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
As a Florida resident for 9 years a long time ago, this is absolutely 100% accurate.

Ok, maybe a Cat 5, even a 4 got our attention. I remember going across town to my job DURING a Cat 2 hurricane though.

Since this is the funnies page, I'll tell about the time my wife got hit by the same hurricane . . . 3 times. She worked a lot in Puerto Rico those days. Flew to PR, hurricane hit and shut down the job for several weeks. Flew to Miami where her parents lived while I drove down from Tampa. Yup, the hurricane followed her and hit Miami. We drove home to Tampa. Meanwhile, the hurricane crossed the state and out into the Gulf. And then reversed direction and hit Tampa. I told her if it comes for her again I am leaving her.
Good reminder not to follow your wife anywhere ! :)

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
It’s that time of year.

View attachment 179493
A not so funny story about smoke detectors happened to me just last week. I heard a familiar chirping sound coming from that smoke detector in my room and I know that my smoke detectors are networked together and hard wired with battery backup. Since the AC power was fine the first thing I did was check the battery, it was fully charged at 9.8 volts. So the only other reason for the chirping was that the unit had gone bad. So I disconnected it and went over to my local big box home store and purchased a new one. I return home and install the new unit just as the directions state. The new unit comes with a new 9 volt battery that I tested at 10.3 volts and placed it in the slot for the battery. Naturally I tested after the installation but the the new unit started to cherp just like the old unit, I go over the test procedure again thinking that maybe I hit the wrong button, but something else happened it entered into what they call Hush mode that means it will not chirp for 12 hours. Twelve hours later it is chirping again but this time it is chirping faster than before and there was no stopping it. I got fed up with the now smoke detector uninstalled, it put it back in the original package and returned it to the store. After I returned it I purched another new one and installed it, working perfectly now. Who would have thought a brand new smoke detector would be defective right out of the package, but I guess every project has it's issues.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
A not so funny story about smoke detectors happened to me just last week. I heard a familiar chirping sound coming from that smoke detector in my room and I know that my smoke detectors are networked together and hard wired with battery backup. Since the AC power was fine the first thing I did was check the battery, it was fully charged at 9.8 volts. So the only other reason for the chirping was that the unit had gone bad. So I disconnected it and went over to my local big box home store and purchased a new one. I return home and install the new unit just as the directions state. The new unit comes with a new 9 volt battery that I tested at 10.3 volts and placed it in the slot for the battery. Naturally I tested after the installation but the the new unit started to cherp just like the old unit, I go over the test procedure again thinking that maybe I hit the wrong button, but something else happened it entered into what they call Hush mode that means it will not chirp for 12 hours. Twelve hours later it is chirping again but this time it is chirping faster than before and there was no stopping it. I got fed up with the now smoke detector uninstalled, it put it back in the original package and returned it to the store. After I returned it I purched another new one and installed it, working perfectly now. Who would have thought a brand new smoke detector would be defective right out of the package, but I guess every project has it's issues.
Removed bird. test OK

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My gas detectors go off when I deglaze a pan with white wine, as well as when I shampoo the carpet.

Sponsor

Staff online