• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Cardiac.jpg

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Me all winter long.. glad I'm self employed

View attachment 217880

''
Yup. We had 5 days of "no tell" time every school year. I always went on a ski trip and everyone knew it - though we didn't actually talk about. One year, my boss was signing off on my pto and he asked where I was going skiing. I just replied, "no tell."

Last edited:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
^^I actually did that once upon a time. I called in and said that I'm feeling well today, I cannot come to work. The voice on the other end said I can't write that down should I write you called off sick? I said ok, I'm sick of work or I have eye problems, I can't see coming to work today.
I called in to work sick once on the way to the ski area. Very tricky as it was in the days of pay phones. If you put the coins in after your party answers they'll hear them clanging.
I had to convince the operator to take the coins before putting the call thru ! She said OK but I'd loose the money if it didn't work. Luckly the call went thru.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I've called in sick to go skiing many times but the day I called off well I went camping with my family and friend's family. I told work that I was going to Woodstock 2 that weekend. :roflmao:
I had a car and considered going to the original Woodstock from Maryland. But I kept checking the weather every half hour and decided it would be rain, rain,rain, followed by more rain.
It was a mud pit & i missed it !

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I did the ultimate call in sick:
We had a new owner of the unionized logging contractor where I was a log truck dispatcher and first aid attendant. The new owner wanted the woods foreman to dispatch the trucks. I had an interview with the new owner who was trying to figure out what to do with me. Unionized company so I couldn't be let go (I had lots of seniority) without just cause.

So I said to the boss, I am only working here to get money to go skiing and I would just as soon be laid off from Dec to March...the boss did a 360 in his chair when I said that.

As it turns out you can only log the valley bottoms on Vancouver Island in winter due to big snow accumulation in the higher elevations, so my request was what we settled on, and I would get laid off and collect Unemployment Insurance with the rest of the crew once we got our quota in in late Nov or early Dec. While a small crew went back to work in Jan. to log the valley bottoms, I would call the woods foreman in early March to see if more equipment was being readied to start up and if they now needed me.

I worked out a deal with a co-worker who also had a First Aid Ticket but less seniority who didn't want to be laid off in winter. He agreed not to try and bump me out of a job because if he did then I would come back to work in winter and then he would be laid off until more equipment was put to work in the spring.

I have always maintained that while I am not a great skier, I am a really great ski bum. :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have always maintained that while I am not a great skier, I am a really great ski bum. :ogbiggrin:

Same! When I was in JH, I was not-really-legitimately collecting $79 per week unemployment from my home state of MN so that I could do my one season without having a job, then return to engineering school.

Being raised a good, near-puritanical Minnesotan, I surreptitiously added that amount to my income tax over my first 3 years of engineering employment.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have literally replied this way to a stupid inquiry.
Too nice. I always respond by upping the price, continuing to do so every time they continue to respond, regardless of the response. I've gotten s high as 3x the initially posted price, before I took pity and gently but firmly said. "you know nothing, John Snow".

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
^^I actually did that once upon a time. I called in and said that I'm feeling well today, I cannot come to work. The voice on the other end said I can't write that down should I write you called off sick? I said ok, I'm sick of work or I have eye problems, I can't see coming to work today.
My Daughters first hunting season we didnt see any deer the first two days, so she asked if she could hunt the third. I sent her excuse in that she had "cervid myopia"
Since the son had taken his deer I took him skiing later that year. We were on a field trip studying friction of waxed flats on frozen elements using varied angles.
I was a hit with the front office.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
1n the early 2000's took a " well day and went skiing Silver Mountain. For nearly30 years sold motor homes. Riding the gondi with 4 or 5 young guys I didn't know. Got a phone call from a client I
Had been working. Proceeded to close the deal on a $400,000 coach. These guys pretty much lost it wHen the deal was done. Heard about it all day on the hill.
my non skier boss had A whole different attitude about taking a day well after that.
it has always been a favorite sale.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Don't know where else to park this picture. A person involved with the Mount Spokane Ski Patrol makes these.
Had to have it!
It is going to get mounted above my ski bench.

Happy Holidays to all of you out there and all of yours.
20231209_071738.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Don't know where else to park this picture. A person involved with the Mount Spokane Ski Patrol makes these.
Had to have it!
It is going to get mounted above my ski bench.

Happy Holidays to all of you out there and all of yours.
View attachment 217985
That it a cool sign, it reminds me of one of those projects that you make out of a pallet.

Sponsor

Staff online