• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Plenty of gas cans by me here in NJ. The fuel cans are color coded red for gas and yellow for diesel. Not sure about other states but the gas stations in NJ refuse to fill unapproved cans. But we don't have to pump our own gas.

Don't go borrowing trouble. There's already gas stations over the border in PA closed for lack of gas - mostly 'coz they buy overflow from southern sources but still.

You WILL get boater traffic both this week and next.

The actual containers built specifically to store gas are probably also in short supply?

Only in the front aisles. By the time they offload the trucks with new ones the crazy will be over. We hope. In the meantime we've got 3 weeks worth of gas - but ain't telling where the vehicles are parked :D

Last edited by a moderator:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
1620944880618.png

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Ironically, one of strongest reasons the state of emergency was declared - to be able to prosecute price gouging. :)

Don't go borrowing trouble. There's already gas stations over the border in PA closed for lack of gas - mostly 'coz they buy overflow from southern sources but still.

You WILL get boater traffic both this week and next.

Only in the front aisles. By the time they offload the trucks with new ones the crazy will be over. We hope. In the meantime we've got 3 weeks worth of gas - but ain't telling where the vehicles are parked :D
When you get fuel for your boat you don't have to pay the gas tax because you are not on the road it is like buying fuel for farm tractor's. If you are not going to use it for road use you don't have to pay the tax. Some states put a color in it just to catch cheating. If you get caught using the gas with the dry in it on the road you get a steep fine.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
When you get fuel for your boat you don't have to pay the gas tax because you are not on the road it is like buying fuel for farm tractor's. If you are not going to use it for road use you don't have to pay the tax. Some states put a color in it just to catch cheating. If you get caught using the gas with the dry in it on the road you get a steep fine.

No doubt - but I stand by my remark - you WILL see both boat and tow vehicle refueling in NJ.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I've not seen marine fuel available on dry land. It is on a dock so good luck fueling illegally.

(I'll concede in advance that that may not be the case in other localities).

Uncle-A

Skier
I've not seen marine fuel available on dry land. It is on a dock so good luck fueling illegally.

I have found that the fuel for farm use is mostly the gas that the cheater's use. The stuff for boats is generally only available at the docks. But I have seen gas cans on a dock.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Again, so what? The pipeline delivers stock to both road and marine end suppliers. Do either of you think fueling docks at rec marinas are on the governors' priority fuel delivery list? Yeh, didn't think so.

Anyone capable of towing their boat to NJ will refuel the boat AND the tow vehicle in NJ.

Anyone capable of sailing the length of the C&D canal and crossing Delaware bay will refuel the boat in NJ.

Using one type of fuel in the other vehicle is a completely extraneous issue.

Uncle-A

Skier
No doubt - but I stand by my remark - you WILL see both boat and tow vehicle refueling in NJ.
Yes you can see boats being towed into a gas station because some of the dock owners add their own markup to supplement their income. People that dock their boats at a Marina generally purchase fuel at that marina.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Do either of you think fueling docks at rec marinas are on the governors' priority fuel delivery list?
I'm actually a bit oblivious to the changing east coast fuel scene. A full tank of fuel typically lasts me a couple weeks, I have a full tank and live in CO. I was just remarking that the usual way to get tax free fuel for boats is dockside although plenty of folks fill boats when they fill the tow vehicle. As a considerate water skier, I bring a few gallons with me even though I've paid tax on it on dry land.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
A full tank of fuel typically lasts me a couple weeks, I have a full tank and live in CO.

I get that. No panic, no reason to panic.

Now imagine a panicky gas crisis back east on one of the first warm weekends in May - during a COVID pandemic, where a boat is perceived as safe, outdoors and distanced by everyone from Jug Bay to Chincoteague. That's without even considering rental operators.

Uncle-A

Skier
Again, so what? The pipeline delivers stock to both road and marine end suppliers. Do either of you think fueling docks at rec marinas are on the governors' priority fuel delivery list? Yeh, didn't think so.
Actually yes, the governor knows that the boating season starts just before the Memorial Day weekend. Recreational boating is a big deal in NJ and adds a fair amount to the state economy.

Sponsor

Staff online