• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
1634250189922.png

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Might have been the worst thing that happened to the USA Business because we had cheap, reliable, telephone service from coast to coast.
Now you are showing your selective memory. The breakup was a disaster for a few years but things eventually shook out.

Remember back in the old days calling Grandma Sundays after 7 pm because that was when long distance was cheaper? Or going into Dad's work late at night to use the WATS line?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Yes to the operator listening to the coins drop.
I am not sure what you mean by "q partner" WE was part of the Bell System but I always heard of it as a triangle AT&T, Bell Telephone, and Western Electric. It was the manufacturing arm of the Bell System. AT&T was the Long Lines and Bell Telephone was made up of 26 local Bell Companies. That all ended 12/31/1983 and 01/01/1984 was a totally different telephone system. Might have been the worst thing that happened to the USA Business because we had cheap, reliable, telephone service from coast to coast.
I worked for Western Electric, AT&T, etc., etc. and even I'm not that loyal. I now have a phone I carry with me anywhere I want. Calls are free and I only pay $25-30 per month. Sure, the phone won't survive being bombed, but that's not an issue I have often. (My childhood home that rotary dial was still working when the house got sold 50 years later.)

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I worked for Western Electric, AT&T, etc., etc. and even I'm not that loyal. I now have a phone I carry with me anywhere I want. Calls are free and I only pay $25-30 per month. Sure, the phone won't survive being bombed, but that's not an issue I have often. (My childhood home that rotary dial was still working when the house got sold 50 years later.)
What was your job at WECo and later AT&T? If you want you can PM me.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Yes to the operator listening to the coins drop.
I am not sure what you mean by "q partner" WE was part of the Bell System but I always heard of it as a triangle AT&T, Bell Telephone, and Western Electric. It was the manufacturing arm of the Bell System. AT&T was the Long Lines and Bell Telephone was made up of 26 local Bell Companies. That all ended 12/31/1983 and 01/01/1984 was a totally different telephone system. Might have been the worst thing that happened to the USA Business because we had cheap, reliable, telephone service from coast to coast.
Partner as in Bell bought a controlling share of WE which later morphed into being the hardware side

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
This reminds me of a guy I knew years ago. Back in the 1970's there was a bar/restaurant/hotel in Hunter mountain NY, it was called The Saint James Infirmary and this guy rented a room there for the season. He got the idea to call in sick and asked his boss to send his sick pay check to him care of the Saint James Infirmary. This went on for a few weeks before the company decided to send someone to see how sick this guy was and he got caught. It took the company a while but I think he eventually go fired.

Sponsor

Staff online