• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
1638174258283.png

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

This is actually true, regardless of chips settling in a potato chip bag. Physics is clear that the glass is always full of something, a combination of fluid and air, so never half-full. But that's just me being pedantic.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This is actually true, regardless of chips settling in a potato chip bag. Physics is clear that the glass is always full of something, a combination of fluid and air, so never half-full. But that's just me being pedantic.
What if I pull a vacuum in the glass? Can it be full of vacuum?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What if I pull a vacuum in the glass? Can it be full of vacuum?
No, because vacuum is not a "thing" but rather an event, the result of an action upon the object; whereas the water and/or air are actually things/objects filling up another thing/object (the glass).

If you place a miniature vacuum generator inside the glass, which then creates a vacuum effect within the glass, then you have a vacuum in a vacuum. Which isn't then a vacuum since a vacuum has an absence of matter whether gaseous, liquid or solid.

It's simple, really.

Hence the phrase: "being a smart ass doesn't happen in a vacuum."

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
No, because vacuum is not a "thing" but rather an event, the result of an action upon the object; whereas the water and/or air are actually things/objects filling up another thing/object (the glass).

If you place a miniature vacuum generator inside the glass, which then creates a vacuum effect within the glass, then you have a vacuum in a vacuum. Which isn't then a vacuum since a vacuum has an absence of matter whether gaseous, liquid or solid.

It's simple, really.

Hence the phrase: "being a smart ass doesn't happen in a vacuum."
What about the virtual particles that form in the vacuum within the glass?

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As an engineer, I'd say that the glass is twice as large as it needs to be but the bag is not.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
What if it is your beer glass and are looking at the bottom?

Not so much 1/2 full 1/2 empty as it is a problem.