• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
thanks-for-the-warning-3.jpg

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
This is actually true, regardless of chips settling in a potato chip bag. Physics is clear that the glass is always full of something, a combination of fluid and air, so never half-full. But that's just me being pedantic.

So no sunrises and no sunsets - just earth-rotates?

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No, because vacuum is not a "thing" but rather an event, the result of an action upon the object; whereas the water and/or air are actually things/objects filling up another thing/object (the glass).

If you place a miniature vacuum generator inside the glass, which then creates a vacuum effect within the glass, then you have a vacuum in a vacuum. Which isn't then a vacuum since a vacuum has an absence of matter whether gaseous, liquid or solid.

It's simple, really.
OK Sure..

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
As an engineer, I'd say that the glass is twice as large as it needs to be but the bag is not.
As a tech, I know the glass is refillable, and the bag has air in it because if it didnt have space the sealing machine would crush the chips or chip bits would get into the seal resulting in stale chips.

Then I sit back and wonder how the engineers and bean counters have to make it harder than it has to be, while observing the occurrence of multiple vacuums emailing about spending money on a program to implement adding chips to a bag in defiance of settled common sense and equipment limitations after a meeting of many more vacuums determined that its a good idea without understanding why there is air in the bag because the closest they ever came to making a chip is on the golf course.