• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Oh, I get it. It makes intuitive sense. But I've also never had an issue with my defroster not working fine with all the windows closed. Maybe I haven't had enough people/wet things generating a lot of moisture inside while driving.
You get my whole family in the car at the end of a powder day and it is like the defroster doesn't even exist.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
DF9C52ED-4C92-4E0F-A461-2A77CB809DDE.jpeg

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Your defroster is trying to push air into a closed space.
Most of the systems I'm familiar with turn recirculation off (that is, they open a vent) automatically when you turn the defroster on, but it's true that when you bring a lot of water in with you it helps to crack the windows and crank the temp and fan way up.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That can't be right. Fred's car had solid barrel tires (rocks), front and rear.
Well sure, on the show. But I'd imagine he's had several new cars since it went off the air, and must have gotten one with new-fangled wheels. :ogcool:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Most of the systems I'm familiar with turn recirculation off (that is, they open a vent) automatically when you turn the defroster on, but it's true that when you bring a lot of water in with you it helps to crack the windows and crank the temp and fan way up.
What most people don't know is that on cars when you turn on the defrost on high heat, your A/C is also turned on to help dehumidify the air. This hidden feature can not be turned off.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Yep, but if you open a window when you have the defroster on full, you can hear the change in tone from the fan. The vent is to bring IN outside air. You are still building pressure in a space.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
You get my whole family in the car at the end of a powder day and it is like the defroster doesn't even exist.
In my father's '88 Range Rover the inside of the windows would ice up. The heat/defrost was completely inadequate and it had an aluminum body that acted as a heat sink. The only way you could see well enough to drive it in the winter was the heated windshield and an using an ice scraper to clear enough to at least see the mirrors.

Sponsor