• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I've always loved the look on the Epic girl's face.
If this photo is staged, she is an incredible actress.
If it isn't staged, .... well....
Pretty sure it's staged and not candid.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty sure it's staged and not candid.

Not surprised. But she really nailed that expression...

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
1642063261348.png

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Actually that works really well. If you have a pup that you change from 2 puppy bones to a big dog bone, you will have to break it in half because they cant tell sizes real well, but they can count and know when they are getting screwed. Kind of like bears. If a mom bear gets killed and the game guys find her cubs, they crawl into a den with a mom bear with cubs, put vicks on her nose and add the other cubs. That way the new cubs gain her scent and she will think they are hers when she wakes up and not eat them. So she goes to bed with 2 that smell like her, and wakes up with 1-2, 1-2, she is good to go.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That was a difficult walk, but his boots look dry. That is an accomplishment in it self.
Agreed! I have to think this wasn't a one-off attempt, and there have been many forays to make sure the bottom is smooth and the water depth is OK. I'm guessing there were some wet shoes sometime in the past.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Agreed! I have to think this wasn't a one-off attempt, and there have been many forays to make sure the bottom is smooth and the water depth is OK. I'm guessing there were some wet shoes sometime in the past.
They use waders and ladders at Pyramid Lake.

Flint-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Yes, many attempts must have been tried, and not only to see if the bottom was smooth enough but also if it was firm enough that without sinking in so deep that the next step could be made. Some lake bottoms are very soft and would make it difficult if not impossible to take the next step.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
What's the ladder for? Can't you fish just with the waders?
They want to have better view for what they call sight fishing. They scan the surface for signs of fish and than cast the fly, lure or bait as near the fish as possible. You generally see a lot of it down in the everglades, the boats have a platform that someone stands using a long pole to push the boat and the fishing guides tells the fisherman the location of the fish so they can cast on that direction.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What's the ladder for? Can't you fish just with the waders?

The water depth is pretty constant (3-5') for around 100-150 ft out. The ladder is used to help reach further out. Typical casting ability of flycasters is 35-50 ft, spincasters 60-ish ft. The water temp is also much colder typically than the air temp, so it's also an effort to keep warm. Funny thing is the fish often run within 15-25 ft of the shore line, behind the line of laddered fisher people.

Yes, I've been there on a ladder with fly gear. Yes, I've caught fish in front (beyond the ladder line), and behind (between ladder line and shore). That said, haven't been back in 15+ years. Ladder fishing doesn't seem to be my thing.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister

A while back I read PJ O'Rourke's "Holidays In Hell" book of travel stories. He lamented the lost art of hitch-hiking, relating that when he was a teenager he and the family were visiting family in Philadelphia while they lived in Wyoming.

PJ apparently bet his father that "I could hitch-hike back home faster than you can drive". :geek: and wrote "three days later I was sitting on the front porch reading when my dad pulled up".

Sponsor