• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes like the Yakima my neighbor has. I have one also but both howl at 50mph so I refuse to use mine.
A guy at work did a wind tunnel experiment on air flowing over a cylinder. The loud acoustic wave moves along
the cylinder from one end to the other. The Windancer accessory they sell for $85 stops the noise but that is too much
to pay for a crummy sheet of plastic worth a dollar at most. I'll try a few things like a piece of pipe foam etc
to stop the acoustical wave.
Caravan Camper, manufacturers of really nice all metal burly truck shells uses angle iron as the front rack. I asked why it's "backwards". They said it is quieter than pointy end forward. Something about how the air goes around it. I had one for 12 years on two different trucks and never noticed wind noise. Granted, it wasn't right over my head but they said it worked.
Screenshot_20220805-152631_Chrome.jpg

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Caravan Camper, manufacturers of really nice all metal burly truck shells uses angle iron as the front rack. I asked why it's "backwards". They said it is quieter than pointy end forward. Something about how the air goes around it. I had one for 12 years on two different trucks and never noticed wind noise. Granted, it wasn't right over my head but they said it worked.
View attachment 174694
Think of a raindrop. The forward part is fat and rounded, the rear comes to a point. The indent in the front may create some eddy currents, imitate a rounding.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Think of a raindrop. The forward part is fat and rounded, the rear comes to a point. The indent in the front may create some eddy currents, imitate a rounding.
rain drops are round or if heavy flattened out until they split to become round again

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
the rear comes to a point.
They don't actually do that... they're pretty much just spheres somewhat flattened...

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online

• Wendy
    Resurrecting the Oxford comma
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January