• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Post your ski gear hacks.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Powerstrap quick release

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Toko can go do one ;)

(just testing the parameters - if I unaccountably fail to win this week's raffle it will be cos of sponsor censorship obviously and I can cry bias)

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Toko can go do one ;)

Yes because we have learned that the more things we ask something to do, the more things it does well. You go with that BBQ cleaner on your skis ... let usknow how it works. :popcorn:
(just testing the parameters - if I unaccountably fail to win this week's raffle it will be cos of sponsor censorship obviously and I can cry bias)
When have you ever needed reason? ;)

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I have used something similar re brass brush and fibre pad before with no significant ill effects (sometimes its just using what's there at a tuning bench wherever you are - this was IIRC a hotel basement). Wouldn't overly trust the scraper but that's cos it wasn't stiff enough on the one I used.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
1- Mismatched poles. All needed is same length. Match them up in the FREE single pole bin set up at the end of the season, late spring at the mtn and walk away w/ a free set. I can't remember the last time I actually bought Alpine poles! Keep the grips you like and put them on the new free poles. Boiling the end of the pole in water for a few min and grips pop off easily. Cut long poles to length w/ a Dremel. If the grip holes are too lg.... duct tape solves that with minimal weight added to the mix.

2- Wrist warmers w/ a zipper pocket. Place a hand warmer in the zippered pocket and it warms the blood for toasty hands:

3- For music we use Chips by outdoor tech. No need to take off your mittens for music and phone control. Manage the sound quality w/ your Phone Equalizer and no foam between the ear and speaker.

4- For the 50+ yo crew we use Clear lenses in our goggles for much better visibility on dark, stormy days and in the woods (East Coast)

5- New tech protection gear on hard-pack and ice. It's articulated, super light and easy to use. Protects all the vitals. I have the SlyTech back and tailbone protector. I usually forget I have it on.

6- Hotronics or Thermics for no more cold feet and don't have to worry about washing your $300 heated socks every night. Have the shop install the "Clips" on the battery and a long enough cord to allow a front mount on your boot strap under your pant cuff, so your battery stays warmer and you never bang your battery. NEVER EVER mount them on either side or the backs of your boot. Also learned from @Philpug make sure the heating element disk is not covered w/ any material and directly contacts the bottom of your sock. Maximizes heat transfer.

7- No scrape ski wax method I learned from @Philpug No mess, no fuss.... Happy Wife!

8 - Removable Tongue boots ONLY for BC. Tongue removal for uphill travel was a TOTAL GAMECHANGER (Dalbello Lupo AX are what Wifey and I use)

9- Armband ID holder for ski pass. Easy peasy.

10- Zardoz Base Boost puck for wet spring skiing - no more lurching your knees when hitting wet snow/water spots. Just glide across em. Puck is in your
pocket if you need to wipe on more.

11 - I'll stop there... Too many more to list!!! LOL :beercheer:

Last edited:

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Wait, what....I thought duct tape fixed everything.... :huh:

Duct tape only fixes 1/2 of the problems in life. The other 1/2 need WD-40

Duct tape.png

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Those rubber bracelets (originally popularized by the Livestrong foundation) make good rubber bands to tie down ski brakes for travel. I have a small handful kicking around and they are useful.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The top true hacks will go into a video.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ski Talk sticker as a binding toe height feeler gage.

Second Place:

131967-fb1dcd3d689051b42a65212a2b383dbc.jpg

Those rubber bracelets (originally popularized by the Livestrong foundation) make good rubber bands to tie down ski brakes for travel. I have a small handful kicking around and they are useful.

Broccoli rubber bands, also. The local produce manager used to give me a big handful whenever I asked.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bow down ye mortals before the hacking Gods of Free Heel!

Cut off nails that substituted for the pins in a pin-less three pin - cable hybrid "tele extreme" binding I slayed the gnar with on a pair of Ramer Short Cuts.

Silly peasants.

Alas, this was 40 years ago so no video.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This one is for NE and Midwest skiers.

Never put your mittens [N.B., not gloves] on the ground! Never! Instead put them inside your jacket. When you are done fiddling with whatever it was, put your warm mittens back on. Resume skiing.

If your hands are still cold after that run, go into the lodge. Do not remove mittens or anything else. Immediately do thirty pushups. Yes, right there in the middle of the floor. Remove mittens. Place in jacket. Run hands under warm (not hot) water in restroom. Dry very thoroughly. Put mittens back on as though ready to ski. Ask ski buddy to continue skiing on your behalf. Proceed to bar. Remove mittens. Place in jacket. Drink moderately and flirt. Consider your warm hands a major asset.

That's it.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1- Mismatched poles. All needed is same length. Match them up in the FREE single pole bin set up at the end of the season, late spring at the mtn and walk away w/ a free set. I can't remember the last time I actually bought Alpine poles! Keep the grips you like and put them on the new free poles. Boiling the end of the pole in water for a few min and grips pop off easily. Cut long poles to length w/ a Dremel. If the grip holes are too lg.... duct tape solves that with minimal weight added to the mix.

2- Wrist warmers w/ a zipper pocket. Place a hand warmer in the zippered pocket and it warms the blood for toasty hands:

3- For music we use Chips by outdoor tech. No need to take off your mittens for music and phone control. Manage the sound quality w/ your Phone Equalizer and no foam between the ear and speaker.

4- For the 50+ yo crew we use Clear lenses in our goggles for much better visibility on dark, stormy days and in the woods (East Coast)

5- New tech protection gear on hard-pack and ice. It's articulated, super light and easy to use. Protects all the vitals. I have the SlyTech back and tailbone protector. I usually forget I have it on.

6- Hotronics or Thermics for no more cold feet and don't have to worry about washing your $300 heated socks every night. Have the shop install the "Clips" on the battery and a long enough cord to allow a front mount on your boot strap under your pant cuff, so your battery stays warmer and you never bang your battery. NEVER EVER mount them on either side or the backs of your boot. Also learned from @Philpug make sure the heating element disk is not covered w/ any material and directly contacts the bottom of your sock. Maximizes heat transfer.

7- No scrape ski wax method I learned from @Philpug No mess, no fuss.... Happy Wife!

8 - Removable Tongue boots ONLY for BC. Tongue removal for uphill travel was a TOTAL GAMECHANGER (Dalbello Lupo AX are what Wifey and I use)

9- Armband ID holder for ski pass. Easy peasy.

10- Zardoz Base Boost puck for wet spring skiing - no more lurching your knees when hitting wet snow/water spots. Just glide across em. Puck is in your
pocket if you need to wipe on more.

11 - I'll stop there... Too many more to list!!! LOL :beercheer:
Can we get a refresh on the Philplug proprietary "no scrape, ski wax method" for everyone?

Sponsor