• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

POV bump clip

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
This morning Youtube published another video clip using Adobe Premiere 2021 from my March 31, 2021 videos, this one edited out of RUN5 arguably my smoothest run of that day that descends a 40% to 50% grade slope. Not asking herein for analysis but rather again providing a rec bump video any members may comment on or discuss in any way. The clip replays a 30 second 28 turn sequence twice. If one watches from Youtube instead of the forum thread, below the video is a length of description including notes on my skiing style I'll add herein as a second post. From there one may also add a public comment (please do thank you) including asking questions.

I am hoping some of you talented ski instructors, will realize how valuable recording front helmet mounted POV wide angle videos pointed at ski shovels without any dubbed over audio instead with ski edges on snow sound, can be for re-experiencing tactically one's own skiing.

TS
SSSdave

SSSdave

Skier
Youtube page Description, a work in progress:

--------------------
This is a 30 second GoPro8 POV video clip with 28 turns edited from the full RUN 5 video of 60 turns over 300 feet of vertical drop. See my March 31, 2021 playlist of 8 consecutive runs down Little Dipper beside the liftline of the Comet Express quad chair. The clip plays twice so the full video is a bit over 60 seconds.

Because the GoPro8 was helmet mounted in front just above my eyes, it gives that eye perspective at the center of the video frame. As my head moves that center point both horizontally and vertically in the frame is always where my eyes are looking to make following turns. Note as a 3+ decades bump skier, I do not look 3 moguls down slope like comp mogul skiers but rather directly at where I will be turning next. Thus if the video viewer focus on that location on the video image, they will be seeing where I am making my turning line with my ski shovels just behind.

If the viewer while sitting forward at the edge of a small chair in front of a computer display watching the center frame area, moves their head tilting a bit left and right per turns, they may begin to see my turn to turn line better. And this is a way GoPro has value allowing the audience to experience that skiing even though they may not ski bumps well. So a way to cross pollinate.

Another second way to view the video is by watching the dance of my shadow that reflects my quiet upper body. Because the sun was over my right shoulder at frame right, the shadow is just left of where my eyes are looking at center.

Another third way to watch is just the pole planting and its shadow.

And a fourth way is to watch my skis at center frame bottom while listening to the sound of ski edges against the snow. Note how when turning I am not sliding both skis as a close parallel unit per comp mogul style but rather step fully from one ski to the other in order to edge more deeply with centered ski railing grip through turns. The unweighted ski in subtly with delay moving over to the weighted edged ski, provides gradual countering edge pressure through the turn moving through the length of the ski to the under boot center balanced point.

As bilateral segmented Earth creatures our left and right body's sense and motor brain controls are separate neocortex areas within 2 brain hemispheres left and right which opposite body side countering switches between during each new turn. Thus my relaxed upper body is not trying to be maximum quiet with only lower body leg movement but rather is relatively quiet in a balanced way with a bit of countering requiring involvement of my total ski and body mass system of both body sides.

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I am hoping some of you talented ski instructors, will realize how valuable recording front helmet mounted POV wide angle videos pointed at ski shovels without any dubbed over audio instead with ski edges on snow sound, can be for re-experiencing tactically one's own skiing.
Works for me that way. I can feel those turns happening.

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
This morning Youtube published another video clip using Adobe Premiere 2021 from my March 31, 2021 videos, this one edited out of RUN5 arguably my smoothest run of that day that descends a 40% to 50% grade slope. Not asking herein for analysis but rather again providing a rec bump video any members may comment on or discuss in any way. The clip replays a 30 second 28 turn sequence twice. If one watches from Youtube instead of the forum thread, below the video is a length of description including notes on my skiing style I'll add herein as a second post. From there one may also add a public comment (please do thank you) including asking questions.

One thing that bugs me is the asymmetry of the line choice; left turn rut-right turn spine-left turn rut-right turn spine.... Eventually you'll get muscle imbalances if you don't mix it up. Sometimes you mix it up, but it seems you heavily favor the left rut turn and right spine turn more than the right rut turn and left spine turn. You can see the asymmetry in the shadow with the hands, and I'm sure it would stand out more with third person. At the very least, if you do 10 turns left rut-right spine then you should be sure to do the next 10 as right rut-left spine, though I think it's better to find a line choice that's naturally symmetrical.

TS
SSSdave

SSSdave

Skier
One thing that bugs me is the asymmetry of the line choice; left turn rut-right turn spine-left turn rut-right turn spine.... Eventually you'll get muscle imbalances if you don't mix it up. Sometimes you mix it up, but it seems you heavily favor the left rut turn and right spine turn more than the right rut turn and left spine turn. You can see the asymmetry in the shadow with the hands, and I'm sure it would stand out more with third person. At the very least, if you do 10 turns left rut-right spine then you should be sure to do the next 10 as right rut-left spine, though I think it's better to find a line choice that's naturally symmetrical.

Most interesting observation, thanks!

It may be I have a preference to turn in that sequence pattern so will need to look through longer sequences to see if that is common or I do the opposite at times? Or it may be that once starting the pattern on some runs, my mind may be looking and feeling my body for turning so even though it can turn either way well and sometimes may do the opposite once started? Indeed that may lead to unbalanced fatigue and in any case I do agree more symmetry is likely more flexible tactically.

TS
SSSdave

SSSdave

Skier
At the end of the OP video is a short wide angle photo one might pause at. I just annotated the bump features of some of the shapes I see at lower frame. The key for my terms from another recent thread image follows. Note the O Orphans where an eroded by ski edges bump feature is just a piece(s) of the earlier bump. The pink line is the approximate area of my 28 turn 30 second clips. Each turn in this zone drops 5 to 7 vertical feet though the wide angle lens tends to make it view less so. Standing looking uphill,it will look steepest.

bv7482c.jpg

LD-down-terms1.jpg

March 4, 2020 Little Dipper image across from Tower 10 with bump forms after a few weeks of little new snow. Now one can appreciate the 5 foot average drop per turn on these slopes that is more intimidating lookimg up the slope than the wide angle lens images from the chair lift ride seem to show.
BD4964B.jpg

Last edited:

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Wow, I so wish there were such bumps runs at my home mountain (Passo Tonale). Unfortunately here every run is groomed, maniacally I would say, dayly; thus any bumps that might have started to form is mowed down immediately. Corduroy, that is all the intermediate skier level l masses want to have available.
If per chance, a steep section of a run (50 to 100 merers) starts to form bumps (usually it is where the intermediate level masses freaks out and ski very defensively), the next day us gone. As said many times, despite me sucking at skiing bumps, I love it and if I happen to be at above sections, it is a feast for me.
It would be nice if the resorts, similar to the fact that there are reserved "snow parks" area and even "fun cross" runs, would reserve a coue of runs to let it become "bump runs".
Thanks for posting, it is all "food for improvement" for me!

sky_chicken

Putting on skis
Skier
Wow, I so wish there were such bumps runs at my home mountain (Passo Tonale). Unfortunately here every run is groomed, maniacally I would say, dayly; thus any bumps that might have started to form is mowed down immediately. Corduroy, that is all the intermediate skier level l masses want to have available.
If per chance, a steep section of a run (50 to 100 merers) starts to form bumps (usually it is where the intermediate level masses freaks out and ski very defensively), the next day us gone. As said many times, despite me sucking at skiing bumps, I love it and if I happen to be at above sections, it is a feast for me.
It would be nice if the resorts, similar to the fact that there are reserved "snow parks" area and even "fun cross" runs, would reserve a coue of runs to let it become "bump runs".
Thanks for posting, it is all "food for improvement" for me!
Passo Tonale looks great! I skied Zermatt for a week just as Covid was starting to hit in January 2020, and it was the same. From the summit there was one thin run down to reach the split for the Swiss and Italian sides, and one day it had turned to bumps. It was a cemetery, with people fallen down on every other bump peak. Those were the only bumps I saw all trip.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Dave, looking at your shadow and your gloved hand, when you reach for a pole plant it looks like you're swinging that inside shoulder forward in the direction of the turn. You're giving away your upper/lower body separation. Can you keep your chest aimed down the fall line while your legs swivel under you?
1641754958712.png

TS
SSSdave

SSSdave

Skier
Dave, looking at your shadow and your gloved hand, when you reach for a pole plant it looks like you're swinging that inside shoulder forward in the direction of the turn. You're giving away your upper/lower body separation. Can you keep your chest aimed down the fall line while your legs swivel under you?
View attachment 154451
Excellent observation, thanks.

I see that now too on the countering side shoulder. Due to the sun angle, only obvious with the cast right shoulder turns. As noted, I have developed a style of countering through my inner skier awareness without trying to keep my upper body perfectly square to the fall line or totally quiet. So you have noticed some of what I apparently found functional although whether such is ideal is questionable. That slight drive of my countering shoulder forward is part of forcing more pressure on the opposite side weighted edged ski. It does turn my upper body away slightly from direct forward. That provides an extra wound up twisting force for rebounding out of turns onto the new same side edge ski as a pole after planting swings backward so can understand why it possibly developed. No doubt much more a a body mass momentum system going on. At developed pro comp mogul skiing levels and style that movement is probably not conducive for better lower leg only dynamic movement.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, I so wish there were such bumps runs at my home mountain....
It would be nice if the resorts, similar to the fact that there are reserved "snow parks" area and even "fun cross" runs, would reserve a couple of runs to let it become "bump runs".
Loon Mountain in New Hampshire does something nice that I've never seen before. They let some bumps form on one edge of some intermediate runs, and then put a rope between that and the main (groomed) part and a sign that says "bumps" at the entrance.

They are pretty short, and there aren't very many of them, but it is way better than none!

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Sad :-(.

To get good bumps like those in the original post, you need good bump skiers skiing them over and over again in a direct line, not meandering all over the run. Bad bump skiers tend to make disorganized and poorly spaced moguls that are harder to ski. Good bump skiers will actually make the bumps easier to ski for everyone.

TS
SSSdave

SSSdave

Skier
bump-forms1.jpg

More readable annotation to my post #7.

Video link is only on my opening post #1.

Note on any Youtube video in order to continuously loop on a short clip, one may Pause then after mouse right clicking on the video, in the pop up select the Loop option at top. Then by focusing on that center location related above, one might repeatedly view the line choice until it is absorbed better in one's memory. If viewing on a laptop/desktop with a larger display than a smartphone at chest level, stand up a couple feet back from your display with hands on each knee so torso bent over some that better simulates a forward position on inclined ski slopes. Each time you see/hear a turn, pressure down on the turning side foot's inside edge (big toe side). Add a wee bit of torso swaying side to side from one's knee.

From there, even more natural is doing that while sitting at the edge of a stool also with hands on knees where one per turn may position each leading and lagging knees rhythmically.

TS
SSSdave

SSSdave

Skier
Finally have tracked down this physics professor's analysis of how moguls form. Notice how these bumps on Riflesight look so much like those on Little Dipper? Another resort with a high percentage of skilled bump skiers forming most excellent bumps.

snippet:
Form and formation of moguls. (a) Moguls on Riflesight Notch at Colorado’s Winter Park Resort display a characteristic checkerboard pattern. Downhill is toward the top of the photograph; the mogul field shown here is about 100 m long. The uphill side of each mogul has loose material deposited by skiers; the downhill side is worn smooth by skier erosion. Moguls are separated by approximately 5.7 m. (b)
Moguls migrate uphill because skiers erode the downhill side of each bump and deposit snow on the uphill side of the following bump.

1.3265246.figures.f1.gif

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online