• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Powder and tree skiing ski

asolo

Booting up
Skier
Looking for a recommendation for a ski for deep powder days and tree skiing. I am not looking for a specific model, but rather general characteristics: length, width, turn radius, construction (metal, wood).

My main ski is a racing SL ski (Head) and I enjoy it most. I am a masters racer.

Not really interested in an "all mountain ski", I get by on SL/GS skis just fine in most conditions. Looking for a dedicated ski for really deep powder days. Plan to buy something old and well used.

I think I'd want a shorter ski, very turny, probably stiffer? Camber or rocker or??? Probably don't care at all about carving ability. Something to float in deep powder and step around tight trees.

I am 152lb, 5'9", I guess "athletic".

What length am I looking for? Width? Radius? Camber/rocker?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I am 5'9" and when I actually got to demo in deep snow in the trees on Vancouver Island I weighed 155 lbs (as opposed to non-ideal conditions -report here https://4frnt.com/collections/skis/products/devastator?variant=1392967425 ) . I got the clean pure arc-2-arc carving bug way back when the Crazy Canucks were winning DH races. My daily driver here in the land of hard snow and small hills is a Fischer WC SC at 165 cm with a 13 m sidecut radius, I also have been searching for a good long radius GS ski, but can't justify the cost given that I have other skis that almost fit the bill (190 cm Volant Machette G that can't be tuned to decent 0.5:3, and a Volkl P50 F1 Energy that too soft in longitudinal flex, and an ancient SG ski that has slow oxidized bases). I also find the all-mountain ski too compromising.

The characteristics you are looking for in a deep snow tree ski IMHO is full rocker, ~108 mm width or wider if your powder is light (as opposed to wetter snow) and a sidecut radius of at least 19 m, longer is better.
After much research I bought these as my deep snow tree ski
20201021_185326.jpg

Apparently some other folk agree with my opinion; they are sold out.

Last edited:

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
The characteristics you are looking for in a deep snow tree ski IMHO is full rocker, ~108 mm width or wider if your powder is light (as opposed to wetter snow) and a sidecut radius of at least 19 m, longer is better.

I don't own any dedicated skis for deep snow tree skiing. Why is longer sidecut radius better? I would instinctively think that a short radius ski would be good for the type of tight quick turns often needed in the trees.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
I don't own any dedicated skis for deep snow tree skiing. Why is longer sidecut radius better? I would instinctively think that a short radius ski would be good for the type of tight quick turns often needed in the trees.
I noticed this when trying various skis. I think that it is because the longer side-cut radius provides less resistance to pivoting when the ski is not perfectly flat. Mind you if you never have to pivot to a steering angle or make a turn that is shorter than that delivered by the side-cut radius of the ski when it is tipped on edge, then this won't matter. Compromise is always present. Probably up around 30 m the negative side of the compromise will outweigh the positive, but I doubt you'll find many skis in that range.

Last edited:

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
'Deep and trees'

I am using a previous seasons model of Atomic Bent Chetlers 120 for that purpose. Plenty flotation and really quick the throw around and slash. Opt for the 184 length and mount -5 cm back from the factory boot center line for more directional skiing, else - 2 cm. They don't ski long but are still plenty stable at speed.

If that's too much platform for you then something like a 180 Blizzard Rustler 11 is an option. Also stable at speed but still very maneuverable and holds an edge when hitting hard conditions once in a while.

EDIT: for me deep means well above a feet of fresh, my weight is 10 lbs above yours.

Last edited:

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
How deep are you talking about? And in what region do you ski in? I find that deepness is relative. Someone who is used to skiing groomers will find 6” deep v. someone who is used to skiing off piste will find 6” a dusting. Also the type of powder you get in your region matters too. Are they dry/fluffy, heavy/wet, frozen/crusty, etc.?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I don’t think you need z short ski for woods. The only time that would help is if you plan to sideslip very narrow passages. Sometimes you have to and while it’s a pain in the ass you can falling leaf your way down passages that are shorter than your skis. 100mm plus is preferred, and significant rocker is wanted. Camber is nice when the woods are not powdery. Full reverse camber isn’t good when the woods have become an icy luge track.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
at 155lb, you don't need a lot of float. Personally, something in the One-Oh's with a bit of tail rise will do the job. Enforcer 104 Free, Rustler 10, Reckoner 102.

Hit the Ski Selector for some ideas.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Old and well-used? For only occasional use? I bought a pair of old Rossi Super7's for exactly the job you cite. $120 shipped with bindings off Ebay -- and in pretty good shape. I bet you could get away with the Soul7 at your weight. Lots of them sitting around I'll bet.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
Looking for a recommendation for a ski for deep powder days and tree skiing. I am not looking for a specific model, but rather general characteristics: length, width, turn radius, construction (metal, wood).

My main ski is a racing SL ski (Head) and I enjoy it most. I am a masters racer.

Not really interested in an "all mountain ski", I get by on SL/GS skis just fine in most conditions. Looking for a dedicated ski for really deep powder days. Plan to buy something old and well used.

I think I'd want a shorter ski, very turny, probably stiffer? Camber or rocker or??? Probably don't care at all about carving ability. Something to float in deep powder and step around tight trees.

I am 152lb, 5'9", I guess "athletic".

What length am I looking for? Width? Radius? Camber/rocker?

FWIW I am looking for something similar and narrowed down my selection to the Moment wildcat/ Deathwish and Rustler 11. I am

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
5'9". 165. I am on the Head Kore 99 as my dedicated in-bounds powder ski. It provides me with a bit if the feedback that my narrower, piste specific skis provides, but has a fun easygoing side.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
ON3P Billy Goat. Asym, RES, pintails. Pivots in deep pow like a well Billy Goat! Best deep snow ski I have ever been on.
+1 an advice I got from TGR:
"If you want a ski solely for powder days get a Protest or C&D.

If you want a ski for powder days plus a day or two after, get a Billy goat, GPO, Quixote, or Wildcat (Bibby)"

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
got my copy/paste mixed up in earlier post. Here is my old report.

TS
asolo

asolo

Booting up
Skier
How deep are you talking about? And in what region do you ski in? I find that deepness is relative. Someone who is used to skiing groomers will find 6” deep v. someone who is used to skiing off piste will find 6” a dusting. Also the type of powder you get in your region matters too. Are they dry/fluffy, heavy/wet, frozen/crusty, etc.?

I have not hit a proper deep day in 2 seasons :) 6" over hard base, which is most I got recently, is just fine on my GS skis. When our folks hit the gates, I am farming powder on the sides on the training run :)

I am imagining "Grand Targhee cat skiing day" deep, or "Jackson Hole when avalanche bombs heard in town all night" :) Or maybe the steep side country at Steamboat.

I sort of lost a way to enjoy a deep skied out day, but if there's a fun way to ski the leftovers from a powder day, I may be interested.

TS
asolo

asolo

Booting up
Skier
Old and well-used? For only occasional use? I bought a pair of old Rossi Super7's for exactly the job you cite. $120 shipped with bindings off Ebay -- and in pretty good shape. I bet you could get away with the Soul7 at your weight. Lots of them sitting around I'll bet.

That's exactly what I thought. I skied these at Grand Targhee some years ago when I could not ski much at all and enjoyed it a lot.

TS
asolo

asolo

Booting up
Skier
at 155lb, you don't need a lot of float. Personally, something in the One-Oh's with a bit of tail rise will do the job. Enforcer 104 Free, Rustler 10, Reckoner 102.

Hit the Ski Selector for some ideas.

By backcountry ski is Movement Alp Tracks LT 89/169cm (an ultralight touring ski) and while I can ski anything in them, it's just not as much fun. I figured I wanted more floatation and a beefier ski.

TS
asolo

asolo

Booting up
Skier
ON3P Billy Goat. Asym, RES, pintails. Pivots in deep pow like a well Billy Goat! Best deep snow ski I have ever been on.

This may be interesting, thanks! I am looking for something completely different from my current setup, a new experience and a bit of a challenge.

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
I sort of lost a way to enjoy a deep skied out day, but if there's a fun way to ski the leftovers from a powder day, I may be interested.

Look no further than the Rossi Black Ops 98. It is quick, and effortless to turn in powder. And they blast thru the push piles like they don't exist. And then lay them over and pretend they are your GS skis. You will be amazed.

Sponsor