• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Powder Magazine...Back from the Dead (updated title)

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ski Journal is a magnificent coffee table magazine and worth getting and supporting.
Yes I‘ve supported that too. i agree it’s a high quality publication. But it’s not the meat and potatoes of the industry/culture, imho.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes I‘ve supported that too. i agree it’s a high quality publication. But it’s not the meat and potatoes of the industry/culture, imho.
No it is a fine cognac. We still need substance to survive.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s far from perfect. But it’s the only mainstream ski magazine left. Skiers Journal, fine as it is, will never fill a similar niche.

Anyway I tried to subscribe but couldn’t - not sure what’s going on there.

Thanks, BMC & Phil. I'll check it out.

Reactions: BMC

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
With Powder Magazine's "pay to play" model for thier ski test, I am sure manufacturers are pissed that tehy paid thousand for reviews only not to get them published, at lease they are not up as of this point.

that is somewhat what it has been for years with water ski mag and wakeboarding and now wake surfboat reviews. those who pay and advertise get there write ups.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I still think it would be logical for VR and AMC to do in-house glossy mags with more than just lifestyle and travel content. Premium nachos.
They already have one.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One is a problem.

If you're talking about Epic Life, emphasis on more than lifestyle and travel.
Remember, too Vail shut down thier media division, MNC already.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Sorry, but you need to support the good publications. Please read their ski reviews, specifically the "Frontside Skis" before you decide to give them money.

I have been a Blister Member since last season. They really produce awesome content.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Fair comment there. We need to get behind the remaining magazines if we want them to survive. Time for me to subscribe to Ski Magazine
Sorry, but you need to support the good publications. Please read their ski reviews, specifically the "Frontside Skis" before you decide to give them money.
It’s far from perfect. But it’s the only mainstream ski magazine left. Skiers Journal, fine as it is, will never fill a similar niche.

Anyway I tried to subscribe but couldn’t - not sure what’s going on there.

The sad thing is, we used to see a huge thread about people waiting for Ski Mag buyer's guide in the mailbox in August.
Two years ago Phil posted a contest for the first person to post their gear buyer's guide and it took a while before someone posted it.
Last year the only thing posted about the print buyer's guides was how they looked like ski manufacturer rhetoric insted of actual reviews. The print version is getting thinner, with more ads than information.

If you can't subscribe to Ski, they may be thinking about their next strategy.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was a Powder subscriber -- would have thought I still am actually.
I prefer eBooks for pure text like novels and non-fiction recreational reading, but still like print for magazines (and technical books).

I don't remember exactly when I found Powder, but I do remember that it was a revelation. I've got fond memories of Steve Casimiro dressed up as Captain Powder.

Dbull65

Booting up
Skier
I remember reading Powder Magazine back in the 80s. It was one of the best at the time.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Looks like we lost some posts yesterday. I was a Powder subscriber for years, I also stopped subscribing years ago. When i think about it, it was Powders web forum that lead me to ski web forums, including EpicSki. I have bought Powder and Bike at the newsstand, but the price now is like $10 an issue. It pains me to pay that much for any magazine. So I'm going to subscribe to a few again, the ones worth saving. I'm going to start with Freehub mag. I hope it helps because the last two magazines I subscribed to went all digital anyway, Ski Racing and Velonews and honestly they have so much less value to me when digital.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Oh, I asked if these titles are for sale and maybe this isn't the end, this was Adventure Journal's answer - "The owner is rejecting all inquiries, saying they are not for sale. But who knows how it will shake out."

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looks like we lost some posts yesterday. I was a Powder subscriber for years, I also stopped subscribing years ago. When i think about it, it was Powders web forum that lead me to ski web forums, including EpicSki. I have bought Powder and Bike at the newsstand, but the price now is like $10 an issue. It pains me to pay that much for any magazine. So I'm going to subscribe to a few again, the ones worth saving. I'm going to start with Freehub mag. I hope it helps because the last two magazines I subscribed to went all digital anyway, Ski Racing and Velonews and honestly they have so much less value to me when digital.
I bought Powder at the newstand last year and was :geek:
I received a NASJA deal to subscribe to Ski for something like $7.00 for a year, which is 4 magazines, mostly ads.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am curious if the issue is the lack of specific test results or the actual rating of the skis. Thanks!
When 3 of the 13 skis tested were over 90mm underfoot, for a Frontside ski, there is a problem. We have 39 skis for this year that have "Frontside" characteristics... Zero are over 90mm underfoot.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
When 3 of the 13 skis tested were over 90mm underfoot, for a Frontside ski, there is a problem. We have 39 skis for this year that have "Frontside" characteristics... Zero are over 90mm underfoot.

Yeah but you know how that works, product managers submit the skis they want to the categories they want.

Sponsor

Staff online