• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Powder Magazine...Back from the Dead (updated title)

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
So I haven't received either of my last 2 issues yet. My subscription was paid through 2021 and Powder keeps saying they're on the way. Walking through the store last week I found #2 so I grabbed it but they didn't have #1. Anyone know where I can buy #1 in paper online?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The print version is getting thinner, with more ads than information.
I was just doing a bit of research on a binding for another thread and instread of going to my archive of magazines, I googled it and instead of worrying..was that 92, 93 or 94? and spending 30 minutes paging though the issues, I had my aswer in 15 seconds (then I spent 30 minutes scrolling though that issue online). But what I did notice, whether this years magazine is 100 pages and that 1993 issue was 300 pages, it was about the same proportion of ads..but that still means there was still 3 times the content...13 pages on bindings...when was the last time any ski magazine even mentioned a binding that wasn't a tech derived one?

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wanted to get the annual powder gear edition, as usual, but couldn't find it in the mag stands.
Anyone know of a way to get that one issue? Was it shipped to the usual outlets, or was there some kind of shorter distribution, or run on that issue due to them closing?

Oh well.

P.S. I read the online ski gear parts of this 20/21 mag, with special attention to the powder ski section, several times, and was disappointed, this year. I'd skied/demoed a number of the skis listed, and found that the mag consistently portrayed only the hyped positives of those skis, without depth or balance: without the cons, and without most of the qualities that seemed distinct to a given ski. I'd have a hard time recognizing those skis' distinctive performance/ride from just those descriptions, unfortunately. But they were clever and hip-sounding.

On a positive note, as usual, there were some skis chosen I'd not thought of, that seemed worth trying/demoing, if I could get a chance. Hence the reason I've always gotten that gear issue, and marked it up pretty thoroughly for my "skis to try" list.

Last edited:

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier

1607828215342.png

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo