• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Another difference between Powder, Ski, Skiing, XXXX Magazine, and other on-line sites and here is that on Pugski, you can interact with the reviews. Our reviews are not static. With any other site, you have no communication with the people who test their skis. Have you skied with them? Have they skied with you? Sure some might be world class ex-racers or top level instructors or guides how can any of them help you make the best decision for you?

That said, one Ski mag tester, Tracy Gibbons (ex-USST) is a co-owner of a well known shop in the greater Seattle area. She's a great resource for women and is very very good at matching the skier to the appropriate ski. What great gear pros know, and Tracy is one and as Phil alludes to, is they work from the customers' narrative, ability, and venue. They're not at all interested in validating their own personal ski choices.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
What I never understand is when a ski has never been mentioned in the previous season, but after some new graphic technology, makes it into the cool ski ranks. Yes, there are examples of this in this group of skis.

Ahh yes! Soul Rider comes to mind immediately! Still kickin' after what 4-5 season, but it was ignored for the first two. I remember buying those from @Philpug with the crazed Mexican skull theme (i loved it) when they were sitting on his shelves at the time. Props to Blistergear who first reviewed them I think. Great, Fun ski (hint, hint, Steals and deals)

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think Powder magazine professes (or imagines) its target audience ('core demographic') to be mostly interested in off-piste and side/backcountry skiing, which would explain the bias toward wider skis.

That said, I picked up a pair of the Blizzard Zero G 108s last year, and mounted them with G3 Ion bindings. I've only skied them touring during late winter and spring in fresh snow, mank, and some windboard - no groomed snow. My evaluation: Wow, these things rock! They're light, but they crush mank amazingly well considering how light they are. Must be that carbon thing.

They are a pleasure in fresh snow, and handle windboard fine. They want an aggressive approach and crank turns very well in the trees and chutes as long as I stay on it and drive them. When I back off and/or drift into the back seat, they kind of carry me in a straight line toward wherever I last pointed them. :eek: I got some lighter mohair mix Black Diamond skins for them and the ski/skin/binding combo is excellent on the uphill/approach and it's pretty nice carrying them on my back.

Anyway, I was really impressed with them as touring skis, and thought I'd throw that out there.

Stats: I'm 64, 150 lbs, wear Dalbello AT boots, ski a lot, like touring best.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think Powder magazine professes (or imagines) its target audience ('core demographic') to be mostly interested in off-piste and side/backcountry skiing, which would explain the bias toward wider skis.

That said, I picked up a pair of the Blizzard Zero G 108s last year, and mounted them with G3 Ion bindings. I've only skied them touring during late winter and spring in fresh snow, mank, and some windboard - no groomed snow. My evaluation: Wow, these things rock! They're light, but they crush mank amazingly well considering how light they are. Must be that carbon thing.

They are a pleasure in fresh snow, and handle windboard fine. They want an aggressive approach and crank turns very well in the trees and chutes as long as I stay on it and drive them. When I back off and/or drift into the back seat, they kind of carry me in a straight line toward wherever I last pointed them. :eek: I got some lighter mohair mix Black Diamond skins for them and the ski/skin/binding combo is excellent on the uphill/approach and it's pretty nice carrying them on my back.

Anyway, I was really impressed with them as touring skis, and thought I'd throw that out there.

Stats: I'm 64, 150 lbs, wear Dalbello AT boots, ski a lot, like touring best.

I think Blizzard has done a very good job with the shape of these skis. I would not be surpised if we don't see it with different constructions on the mainstream side of the wall, for men and women.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^It's the same shape as a Cochise, but a different layup, right?

I also love my Kabookies (Bonafide shape) and Scouts (Cochise shape as well)

I forgot to add that my Zero G 108s are the 178 length.

Sponsor

Staff online