• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Most of you may recognize this reversible tip screwdriver the large side is a 5/16 socket that fits a #2 PH and 1/4 flat blade and the small side is a 1/4 socket that fits a #1 PH and a 3/16 flat blade.
upload_2018-8-11_15-15-47.png

So if you use the small side with the 1/4 socket you can add any 1/4 drive to it.
upload_2018-8-11_15-17-47.png

Put it together with my 6 inch #3 PZ and the result is a good tool.
upload_2018-8-11_15-20-14.png

This has a magnet in the socket so the tip stays in and can hold a screw if needed,

Uncle-A

Skier
Yes. As does Hewlett-Packard Packard & others. I have PZ0, PZ1 PZ2 & numerous PZ3 screwdriver bits.
I have some PZ-1's and PZ-2's but no PZ-0's not sure if I have ever run across a PZ-0.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
In my experience the most common usage of PZ drivers and screws:

PZ3 - Ski bindings.
PZ2 - Euro cabinet hardware.
PZ1 - M3 (US #4) and smaller screws.
PZ0 - M1.6 (US #0) and smaller screws.

Most of the smaller screws commonly found also uses Torx. Which is much more positive in engagement than PZ, Especially in smaller sizes and are available in much finer sized graduations.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You don’t need a screwdriver with a 10 inch blade to tighten the screws on a pair of bindings, one with a 6 inch blade is more than adequate and cheaper https://www.alliedelec.com/rs-pro-544724/70412521/ RS is the world’s largest distributor of distributor of electronics and maintenance products http://www.rs-online.com/ so quality should be OK. Amazon sells a Chinese screwdriver for $8.43 https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Authorized-Pozidriv-Screwdriver-Repairing/dp/B01IY94JHS?th=1 but the finish is very poor.

Pozidriv is a registered trademark of the Phillips Screw Company https://trademarks.justia.com/720/91/pozidriv-72091320.html but the screw drive / head recess seems to have been was designed in England by GKN Fasteners Ltd. They were assigned a UK patent in 1962 (GB1006509A: Improvements in or relating to screw threaded fasteners and drivers for use therewith), GKN subsequently patented the design in most other western European countries. Presumably GKN did a deal with Phillips, which might explain why they are everywhere over here but nowhere over there.

Even though the patents have long since expired and GKN stopped making screws years ago anybody who wants to use the Pozidriv name still has to obtain a license from Phillips.
GKN is still making and selling screws, HD, Lowe’s, RONA Lee Valley Tools. Most though us a torx bit.

Uncle-A

Skier
GKN is still making and selling screws, HD, Lowe’s, RONA Lee Valley Tools. Most though us a torx bit.
My 6 inch PZ-3 bits I purchased at Lowe's but they had to order them. It was pure luck that I was at Lowe's when the Bosch sales rep was visiting the store near me. He was talking to some of the employees when I asked one of them a question. He identified himself and we started to talk, that is when I asked him about the PZ-3 he got on the phone and found the correct ordering information. I ordered three of them and they arrived only a few days later and they were very reasonably priced under $4.00 each I think. He also shared info on one of the Bosch products that might have some ski application. It was a heated jacket with a rechargeable battery pack and I think it was posted in a thread here somewhere.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
What size pozi to tighten the arm screws on my reading and sun glasses?

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not to be confused with JIS. (Note the identifying dimple on the screw head; I've only seen these on Japanese motorcycles.) I have PZ#2 & #3 screwdrivers. I started with a #3 PZ bit, but without a magnetic handle it was always falling out and just an annoyance.
1614195231033.png
1614195357999.png

No one noted that if the binding screws are loose, they need more than tightening...epoxy if the ski core is dry, or maybe Quiver Killer or Binding Freedom screw inserts. If the screws worked loose once, they'll likely work loose again.

Uncle-A

Skier
What size pozi to tighten the arm screws on my reading and sun glasses?
Not a pozi, you need to get the mini set just for eyeglasses. They do work well, I fix mine all the time.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not a pozi, you need to get the mini set just for eyeglasses. They do work well, I fix mine all the time.

If you spend a little more cash, you can get an electronics repair toolkit for about $20 on amazon, and you'll get a slightly better kit than eyeglass kit, along with wedges, spudgers, tweezers and other useful tools. (especially if you don't need the replacement parts).

To be pedantic the super small cross screwdrivers label with the Philips or JIS icon and number with 0, 00, 000 and so on as they get smaller. While the flat screw bits are in mm like .5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.5mm etc.

James

Out There
Instructor
I assumed he was kidding. #4 is huge.

I guess snowboard bindings decided to bail on Pozidrive or at least more people would know about it. You’d think hardware and building stores in a ski town would know what it is. I went in to one and the guy who’d worked there probably 30 years had never heard of Pozidrive. Then I told him about JIS too. Didn’t want to blow the mind getting into Reed and Prince.

Why don’t we talk about Frearson/Reed and Prince...

672E6AC5-E42D-4818-9359-AAA3E3DC9DD2.png

Co still in business. Well the name. I guess it was liquidated in the 80’s. It would be hilarious to send them an inquiry for a quote to make them, as they make custom fasteners.

They were heavily used in aircraft in WW2 and boats. Still used for bronze screws. It appears many of the illustrations are wrong for todays R&P screws. The design was updated at some point, [edit- looks like 1884! ] radiusing the corners, so it is not a”perfect cross” as often claimed.
9999CEED-3D2E-40F4-B11E-84AA03018204.jpeg

#14 silicon bronze screw, Frearson/Reed and Prince. Jamestown Distributors, price per 100.

John Frearson, English patent 1857, US 1873

BB27EB29-6400-46F7-8F23-CC6A49C64E92.jpeg

This relatively old, and small, US Co makes Reed and Prince, JIS, but not Pozi.

The Robertson square drive has it’s problems also. You’d think it wouldn’t strip, but it does, or the recess deforms making it difficult to get the screw out. (One method is to pound a Torx bit in) Part of that may be due to stuff in the bottom not allowing sufficient depth. Torx is better and has replaced square drive on deck screws.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Torx is better and has replaced square drive on deck screws.

I think we call them Star screws now, kinda like we call them tech bindings. And even those now have several varieties (Plus, Paralobe), and of course, there's the external E-type ones.

#soimproveditstiresome

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If you spend a little more cash, you can get an electronics repair toolkit for about $20 on amazon, and you'll get a slightly better kit than eyeglass kit, along with wedges, spudgers, tweezers and other useful tools. (especially if you don't need the replacement parts).

To be pedantic the super small cross screwdrivers label with the Philips or JIS icon and number with 0, 00, 000 and so on as they get smaller. While the flat screw bits are in mm like .5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.5mm etc.
The small blade point of my Swiss Army Executive works better than those little screwdrivers that come with the eyegalss repair kits. It also works well to pop the back of watches to change the batteries..

Uncle-A

Skier
The small blade point of my Swiss Army Executive works better than those little screwdrivers that come with the eyegalss repair kits. It also works well to pop the back of watches to change the batteries..
I have used the small blade for the watch backs that are pressure sealed but some backs are threaded and knowing the difference is important. As far as the eyeglass kit, the best $2.00 bucks I have spent, anyway the right tool for the right job.

James

Out There
Instructor
I think we call them Star screws now, kinda like we call them tech bindings. And even those now have several varieties (Plus, Paralobe), and of course, there's the external E-type ones.

#soimproveditstiresome
Apparently Torx is a registered trade name.
Looks like Textron sold it to some LLC, prob a patent vulture like Nathan Myhrvold.

First use seems to be 1967.

In terms of Pozidrive, mechanics are a disaster. I had a ‘95 Range Rover bought in 2004.
Anyway, virtually all the dash screws, which are #2 pozi, were mangled. I’ll assume the dealer mechanics didn’t do it. The culprits were the guys who put in an alarm and maybe remote start. It’s a mystery why people take a very expensive car to people flying pennants in a lot, the equivalent of 4 Seasons Landscaping in Philly. Then allow them to just do whatever to the wiring. Nothing good can come of it.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Tiy can kill two..or three birds with one pair of poles with the Atomic BC poles with built-in Pozidrive and regular screw driver.
View attachment 50529
Phi, Seriously or kidding... In the backcountry, poles w/built-in pozidrives are not very functional or practical. I would have a hard time adjusting bindings on a steep slope with deep snow with the Atomic pole built-in pozidrive. I could say the same about snow shovels with built-in snow saws.

In my car, I have ski tools for adjustments and repair in the parking lot. Teaching avy classes in the backcountry, I carry a substantial tool kit. Not so much for my recreational backcountry skiing.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online