• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What do you carry for screw drivers and what type exactly? I’m looking for something to carry.

Ultimately for rec skiing, I bought this, and it typically stays in my boot bag. Avail for $10 at many outdoor ski retailers, and can go into bag or jacket/pants pocket if you know it's needed (e.g. swaping skis with friends on the mtn and unknown if there will be tool stations)

The Pozi3 is the ski-specific longer bit that will work with ski bindings.

EDIT: Ha, realized i posted this same thing in post #7 couple years ago

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Apparently Torx is a registered trade name.
Looks like Textron sold it to some LLC, prob a patent vulture like Nathan Myhrvold.

First use seems to be 1967.

In terms of Pozidrive, mechanics are a disaster. I had a ‘95 Range Rover bought in 2004.
Anyway, virtually all the dash screws, which are #2 pozi, were mangled. I’ll assume the dealer mechanics didn’t do it. The culprits were the guys who put in an alarm and maybe remote start. It’s a mystery why people take a very expensive car to people flying pennants in a lot, the equivalent of 4 Seasons Landscaping in Philly. Then allow them to just do whatever to the wiring. Nothing good can come of it.
People use their own mechanic because the dealership is so expensive. The dealership quoted me over $500 to install the tow hitch on my new Jeep. My mechanic charged me less than that by a three digit number. I found no need to take it to the dealership except for my warranty work or the 8 free oil changes that came with the Jeep.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is getting as good as the "show me your ski quiver" thread. :D

The Bahco has been my goto for the last few years. It was my favorite that is until I found the Hazet. Best handle by far: most comfortable, largest diameter, highest torque with least amount of effort.

I thought I'd like the Wera more than I do. The grip just feels too small and the hexagon shaft just gets in the way. Both the Wera and Hazet have a nut to put a wrench to if needed.

IMG_0138.jpg
IMG_0135.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
People use their own mechanic because the dealership is so expensive. The dealership quoted me over $500 to install the tow hitch on my new Jeep. My mechanic charged me less than that by a three digit number. I found no need to take it to the dealership except for my warranty work or the 8 free oil changes that came with the Jeep.
I've been living by this rule about not using the dealer unless it's a potential warranty issue, either them covering it.. or claiming that using another shop voids the existing warranty somehow.. until now...

But now I'm wondering how much knowledge the indie shops truly have with post 2020 vehicles with cruise assist and radar controlling the steering and braking... Does Midas really know how to properly do brakes and suspension with all that other critical crap also attached?? Crap that steers and brakes your car on the highway... better get it right the first time..

So, at least the first time our 2020 needs brakes.. probably pretty son FWIW.. it's going to the dealer the first time.. Maybe in 3-4 more years I'll be confident that the indy shops have caught up with the newer technology..

And I know the pads and rotors are the same.. it's reconnecting all that new stuff after the pads/rotors are installed that concerns me..

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And I know the pads and rotors are the same.. it's reconnecting all that new stuff after the pads/rotors are installed that concerns me..
Try it yourself! :beercheer: Pads, Rotors, Calipers and Emergency Brakes, Oil Changes, PCV valves, Tow Hitches and Trailer Wiring adapters (plug and play for most vehicles) , all lights and cabin and engine air filters are all easy peasy on newer vehicles. You need a few key tools, some basic tool skills and YouTube! With a little patience and a $30 plastic panel remover kit you can even tackle harder jobs like door actuators and remote starter systems. Much easier now than the old car stereo system installs we did back in the day in college. Nothing is rusted, clips are all plastic and replaceable via Amazon so everything comes apart!!! Have fun with it and use the Step by Step available on YouTube!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Try it yourself! :beercheer: Pads, Rotors, Calipers and Emergency Brakes, Oil Changes, PCV valves, Tow Hitches and Trailer Wiring adapters (plug and play for most vehicles) , all lights and cabin and engine air filters are all easy peasy on newer vehicles. You need a few key tools, some basic tool skills and YouTube! With a little patience and a $30 plastic panel remover kit you can even tackle harder jobs like door actuators and remote starter systems. Much easier now than the old car stereo system installs we did back in the day in college. Nothing is rusted, clips are all plastic and replaceable via Amazon so everything comes apart!!! Have fun with it and use the Step by Step available on YouTube!
Did plenty back in the day, last kinda tricky job was the radiator on my Trooper LS.. Didn't realize I was going to have to deal with transmission lines until I was already too deep to back out.

Sitting on a heating pad right now. Threw my back out Monday just folding laundry. I only change fuses, switches, bulbs, blades, oil and filters these days.. I leave the car at a shop and my wife and kids and I use the other 3 driving around doing fun stuff while someone else spends an hour or two doing whatever would take me 4 hours and 3 trips for parts/tools to do myself.

I don't do my own plumbing anymore either.. Get back to me when you're 60. YMMV, but mine's been kinda rough lately..

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't do my own plumbing anymore either.. Get back to me when you're 60. YMMV, but mine's been kinda rough lately..

I am couple years away from 70. This year I am doing lots of work. Not for money but to stay in shape. The gym is still not looking good. As Mamie said, If you don't use it, you'll lose it.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I am couple years away from 70. This year I am doing lots of work. Not for money but to stay in shape. The gym is still not looking good. As Mamie said, If you don't use it, you'll lose it.
Yardwork yes, minor stuff yes, even chainsaws up to 12 foot ladder height sure. Stuff where I'm likely to skin my knuckles or a broken bolt turns a 30 minute job in to a 2 day adventure?? No thanks..

Also, we don't have a garage so if shit goes sideways and takes longer than planned the car is sitting out in the elements..

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What do you carry for screw drivers and what type exactly? I’m looking for something to carry.
I carry this thing (and a Swiss Army knife). I got it, I think, either from a Scarpa rep at a clinic or it came with some boots. The hex keys fit (or did fit) the buckles on Scarpa boots. Might be worth it for you to track one down.
4801B48C-AD0F-41BF-9981-F5B425212A07.jpeg

Uncle-A

Skier
Did plenty back in the day, last kinda tricky job was the radiator on my Trooper LS.. Didn't realize I was going to have to deal with transmission lines until I was already too deep to back out.

Sitting on a heating pad right now. Threw my back out Monday just folding laundry. I only change fuses, switches, bulbs, blades, oil and filters these days.. I leave the car at a shop and my wife and kids and I use the other 3 driving around doing fun stuff while someone else spends an hour or two doing whatever would take me 4 hours and 3 trips for parts/tools to do myself.

I don't mind working on a car although I stopped doing my own oil changes because it was getting difficult to get rid of the old oil in a responsible way.

Uncle-A

Skier
I am in my mid 70's and still try to do most of my own work. Someone stole/cut the catalytic converter off my daughter's car (dam battery powered saw) and I wanted to fix it but my wife and my daughter won't have me involved with the repair.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't mind working on a car although I stopped doing my own oil changes because it was getting difficult to get rid of the old oil in a responsible way.

I was quoted $160.00 by one of the instant oil change places for full synthetic on my 2019 F-150 (5.0-takes 8.2 qts.). I can buy oil and filter for about $60.00 and it takes me half an hour-I'll pay myself $200.00/hr any day.

PS-I can do it without jacking the truck up which helps.

Uncle-A

Skier
I was quoted $160.00 by one of the instant oil change places for full synthetic on my 2019 F-150 (5.0-takes 8.2 qts.). I can buy oil and filter for about $60.00 and it takes me half an hour-I'll pay myself $200.00/hr any day.

PS-I can do it without jacking the truck up which helps.
Yes, it is not the job of changing the oil that is difficult, it is getting rid of the old oil. What do you do with the 8.2 quarts of old oil?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Our landfill has free oil disposal. You just have to be a resident, but they stopped checking a long time ago. Free electronics and household recycling, too.

And yes, I change my own oil.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Every auto parts store in town that I frequent has an oil recycling center. It's usually in the back though. They'll show you where it is if you don't know. Once you know iI just walk in there with my containers past the desk with a nod to the back and pour then in to the big drum they have there. They do want you to take the empty containers with you though... just the oil itself gets left there..

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Any O'Reilly Auto store will take it for free. I think most major auto stores will take used oil.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've been living by this rule about not using the dealer unless it's a potential warranty issue, either them covering it.. or claiming that using another shop voids the existing warranty somehow.. until now...

But now I'm wondering how much knowledge the indie shops truly have with post 2020 vehicles with cruise assist and radar controlling the steering and braking... Does Midas really know how to properly do brakes and suspension with all that other critical crap also attached?? Crap that steers and brakes your car on the highway... better get it right the first time..

So, at least the first time our 2020 needs brakes.. probably pretty son FWIW.. it's going to the dealer the first time.. Maybe in 3-4 more years I'll be confident that the indy shops have caught up with the newer technology..

You're making the assumption that the mechanics at the dealer are actually competent and up to date on training. That has often not been the case IME. My independent shop is far more knowledgeable and has the same Alldata system the dealers use. TSBs, recalls, repair procedures, etc. are all at their fingertips. Synthetic oil changes are ~$70 including lubing all the zirc fittings, checking/adjusting the brakes and giving it a general once over to look for any other issues. Their labor rates are significantly lower and they don't usually use "book hours" they charge for the actual labor involved. I wouldn't go near a Midas, Jiffy Lube, etc. for anything.