• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
@James
The shame you must feel, not getting out on your German bananas :nono:... it's not to late to get them on the snow this season :huh:
I'll probably take them out. The relief from skiing something decent more than overcomes any shame. You know I have another pair? 200cm instead of 205's. No bindings though. At least I think I still have them. I have a vague memory of buying them off someone about 15 -18 years ago. To make up for I should have bought the 200's originally in '96.
I might have to look and see what should be done.

Back then you could still go into some stores and see a Volkl poplar core hanging on the wall. Wood from their own forest, preshaped, with camber, and drilled with hundreds of small holes throughout to facilitate the polyester or epoxy resin penetrating throughout. Quite a nice piece of manufacturing. That was "flip core" before flip core was marketed as a term. I believe the list price on that '96 P20 was $735. I paid half late season in March, after having blown my knee out. Sat in the car across the backseat with the leg up, while my girlfriend went to get the sales guy. Signed the receipt in the car.

Plus I have a pair of early shaped Rosi 9x9.9 The ones before they became bright yellow and too stiff. I might take those out too.

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I'll probably take them out. The relief from skiing something decent more than overcomes any shame..

@James , I could steam a little early rise into a pair of pine 1 x6's and you'd get down the mountain in fine fashion... :daffy:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Saw this cool family on the Sunnyside lift at Alta on 3/10/18. They were doing the 3-4:30PM ski session Alta offers every day restricted to this lift and the Albion Double chair for $10. Believe husband's skis had a little bit of shape, but wife's might have been true skinny skis. The child on skis looked to be using old gear too? Lots of 10-20 year old skis in this lift line taking advantage of the $10 deal.
5aa9e34949e42_CopyofDSCN5897.thumb.JPG.5bdc838ed1133801affa3c0e20691b21.JPG

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I just bought some pro photos from the 2017 FuxiTime SuperCombi race at Cooper. This is the SG leg of the race. I failed to make it to the photographer in the 'leg burner' SL/GS/SG run. I hooked a tip about 10 gates in. Photo credits to Erika Krainz

_EAK8644.jpg

_EAK8645.jpg

_EAK8646.jpg

_EAK8647.jpg

_EAK8648.jpg

_EAK8649.jpg

204 Dynamic VR17s with red N17s and Nevadas. 1978 US Team DH suit, retro (not old) Easy Rider helmet, Bouton goggles, Lange boots, 'pointless' Scott GS poles. I brought one right glove of two pairs of vintage gloves so used my Kincos. Sorry.

_EAK8268.jpg

My mother made this jacket to my specifications in the mid 70s. Sharp, huh?!

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Doug,

You should have worn that outfit when you guided Elliot and I around Breack. It would have made quite the impression :roflmao:

Hope you did well in your race.

James

Out There
Instructor
IMG_5048.JPG

I just bought some pro photos from the 2017 FuxiTime SuperCombi race at Cooper. This is the SG leg of the race. I failed to make it to the photographer in the 'leg burner' SL/GS/SG run. I hooked a tip about 10 gates in. Photo credits to Erika Krainz
204 Dynamic VR17s with red N17s and Nevadas. 1978 US Team DH suit, retro (not old) Easy Rider helmet, Bouton goggles, Lange boots, 'pointless' Scott GS poles. I brought one right glove of two pairs of vintage gloves so used my Kincos. Sorry.

Nice jacket!
I had those red N17's on a pair of Olin Mk VI.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

View attachment 44159

View attachment 44158

View attachment 44156

View attachment 44157

View attachment 44155

View attachment 44154

View attachment 44160
It is good to see people skiing on the vintage equipment and skiing around the gates and not over/through them like they do today. Mom made ski stuff is the BEST I still have a few of the ski sweaters my mom made.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I spent about 3/4 of the past season on a pair of K2 Shorts, and I think I collected more base gouges on those in one season than I have on all my other skis in 4 or 5 seasons. Gonna be busy with the Ptex this summer.

I made a couple of runs on the hart ballets before blowing out part of the base repair I made several years ago. The marine epoxy I used didn't want to stick to the wide section of edge material on the ski.

There is also my annual outing on the 710's. Next year I'm putting some bindings back on the Red Stars and taking them for a ride.

Sponsor