• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Are those 2000’s era Atomic bindings on the Mark V ?
The looked like tele bindings. On the Mark III S were some basic Salomon Quadrax track binding.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Poles are prolly worth more than the planks. Opening weekend on the strip of death.
IMG_20211203_112318763.jpg

Andrew Read

Booting up
Skier
Sightings are definitely down. Just got back from A Basin for the week and I didn't see a single other pair of straight skis while I was there. I guess the powder day didn't help.

The 1996 Volkl Presto 186cm. Graphics so bad you can't help but like them. Touted as the "go anywhere" ski that was 15% shorter, fatter, and softer than other skis of the day.
20230112_144438.jpg

It really does do everything, but it does everything 15% worse. You're better off just getting 2 pair of skis (or 20 pair :cool:)

James

Out There
Instructor
Sightings are definitely down. Just got back from A Basin for the week and I didn't see a single other pair of straight skis while I was there. I guess the powder day didn't help.

The 1996 Volkl Presto 186cm. Graphics so bad you can't help but like them. Touted as the "go anywhere" ski that was 15% shorter, fatter, and softer than other skis of the day.
View attachment 189225
It really does do everything, but it does everything 15% worse. You're better off just getting 2 pair of skis (or 20 pair :cool:)
Does the Molly Hogan lift have electronic gates now??
It’s like 40ft vertical.

Andrew Read

Booting up
Skier
Does the Molly Hogan lift have electronic gates now??
It’s like 40ft vertical.
Yeah. I guess it's nice practice for how the real lifts work.

Still no gates on the upper mountain or Zuma lifts. I always wonder how many people have hiked up and snuck in that way.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Yep, Olin Kinetics. I'm not sure they're strictly under the '95 cutoff.

Do note the boots tho.
I got my similar vintage Olin Sierras in the mid - 90s. I concur, may not be strictly pre-95.

James

Out There
Instructor
Why pre-95??
I have a pair of P20sl Volkl that are 1996 and quite straight.

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Thread itself is 5 years old. I think that bumps the requirement up to pre-2000

Nope... it stays at '95.
It's not about the time since they were new, it's about where ski evolution was in the mid nineties.

Side note, this has become a BIG problem in our 'vintage' class of dirtbike racing (Hare Scrambles). They are letting the newest class (Pre-Modern) stay a 25 years old. So now they have bikes running that were made in '98 and there ain't nothing Pre-Modern about that! It should have been frozen at 1990.

James

Out There
Instructor
Nope... it stays at '95.
It's not about the time since they were new, it's about where ski evolution was in the mid nineties.

Side note, this has become a BIG problem in our 'vintage' class of dirtbike racing (Hare Scrambles). They are letting the newest class (Pre-Modern) stay a 25 years old. So now they have bikes running that were made in '98 and there ain't nothing Pre-Modern about that! It should have been frozen at 1990.
Why not “straight skis”? My P20’s are 1996! Nothing shaped about those! Except the pre-cambered core, which well predates Blizzard’s “flip core”.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Why not “straight skis”? My P20’s are 1996! Nothing shaped about those! Except the pre-cambered core, which well predates Blizzard’s “flip core”.

Seriously, start a '95-'99 gap ski thread.

Your P20s can try to beat my 45mm wide/70mm lift Terminators for edgehold.

Sponsor

Staff online