• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Canaan Valley

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
For Immediate Release

Canaan Valley Resort on Track to Open Ski Hill, Tube Park and Skating Rink December 15; Skiers to be Greeted with 10 Downhill Runs Ranging from Beginner to Advanced Levels

DAVIS, W. Va., November 28, 2018 – Early snowstorms and an aggressive snowmaking strategy are combining to create good news for Canaan Valley Resort‘s ski area.

The gates will open, and the lifts will begin turning 9 a.m. Dec. 15, 2018 and skiers will be greeted by 10 downhill runs and trails ranging from beginner to advanced levels, including the 1¼-mile-long Timber Trail.

“We can always count on our mountain staff to give its best effort, and our snowmaking capacity has been a priority for the past few years,” said Steve Drumheller, general manager of the resort in West Virginia’s Potomac Highlands. “When Mother Nature cooperates like it has recently, we are able to offer a terrific early-season skiing experience.”

Ski area dates and rates
The Canaan Valley Resort Ski Area will be open daily December 15 through March 17, 2019. Single-day lifts tickets for adults during Value Season (Dec. 15 - 25) are $39 midweek and $42 on the weekends. Junior or senior single day lift tickets are $29 either midweek or weekend. Half-day and multi-day ticket prices are available. The holiday rates start at $78 for a single-day adult ticket December 26 – 31. The single season pass is priced at $550. Children, college students, seniors and West Virginia residents will find additional savings.

The resort’s tube park – one of the longest in the mid-Atlantic region – and ice skating rink will open Dec. 15 as well.

Best in Snow
For the past two years the resort has swept the ski site Liftopia’s “Best in Snow” awards for the Southeast region of the U.S. The ski website named Canaan Valley Resort tops in the Beginner Friendly, Most Challenging, Family Friendly, Best Snow Quality, Least Crowded and Best Value categories. The ski area was also named one of the top five ski resorts in America by World Property Journal.

More about Canaan Valley Ski Area
Canaan Valley Resort Ski Area is in the highest mountain valley to the east of the Rocky Mountains and is known for breathtaking views of the mountainous region. The ski resort has a summit elevation of 4,280 feet above sea level, 91 skiable acres, four lifts – one quad, two triples and two magic carpets – a terrain park and ski school. With 47 trails and slopes, the Critters Crawl beginner and ski school for private and group lessons – including adaptive skiing – Canaan Valley Resort Ski Area offers a memorable winter adventure for every skier and snowboarder. The resort also offers a tube park, ice skating rink and cross-country skiing.

Canaan Valley Resort is approximately three hours from Pittsburgh, 2½ hours from Washington, D.C. and 2¾ hours from Charleston, W. Va.

To reserve accommodations, visit www.canaanresort.com or call 1-800-622-4121.

Canaan Valley Resort is a four-season destination with a wide array of adventures and a variety of guest rooms and cabins as well as a campground.

Canaan Valley Resort is owned by the state of West Virginia and managed by Sioux Falls, S.D.-based U.S. Hotels and Resort Management, Inc., which operates hotels, resorts, state park lodges, golf courses and restaurants in 13 states throughout the West and Midwest.

Related hashtags:

#CanaanValley

#CanaanResort

#AlmostHeaven

#GetTuckered

Media contact:

Mesereau Travel Public Relations

[email protected]

[email protected]

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for posting.
Do you have an image so we can feature this?

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I just clicked on the link -- looks really nice!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm sure CVR will come up with some nice shots, but here are a few of mine from the ski area:
cvr beginner area and base lodge.jpg cvr chair lift.jpg cvr johnl.jpg cvr ski patrol.jpg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I just clicked on the link -- looks really nice!

Canaan Valley IS nice... and I've gotten some great deals over the years there. (Like $150 for two night lodging and 2 lift tickets; Though that was several years ago.) It's also just down the road from Timberline, and depending on how that shakes out this season it might mean a bump in business for CV. (Both resorts are in the Canaan Valley itself.) I wish it was a bit closer to home for me - I've done it as a day-trip, but it's a long one.

I'm surprised @Jim Kenney didn't post any pics of his powder day there a couple of seasons ago!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m sure Canaan Valley is a charming, little, 91 acre area but seriously?

Well it's an.. ahem... eclectic list if you read the article. Here were some of the criteria from the author :

"Well, to me, the best places for skiing are not only for skiing. I look for places that also offer a warm, convivial ambience; great hospitality; interesting local cultures; and plenty of natural beauty."

The top 5 were :

5) Sugarbush, Vermont
4) Rib Mountain, Wisconsin
3) Canaan Valley, West Virginia
2) Schweitzer, Idaho
1) Keystone, Colorado

Sponsor