• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Progression for laying it over as the pitch gets steeper

TonyPlush

Getting off the lift
Skier
Interesting. Last week, very high edge angle carving started clicking for me for the first time, and I noticed my hands coming in contact with the ground a bit like this. I wasn’t sure if that was a good or bad thing, but this is very helpful.

Pasha

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
Seriously - cool drills. I’ve been stuck at skidding steeper groomers with poor early edge set and (surprisingly) not enough pressure on the outside ski according to Carv.

Funny how the J turn is being used to teach skiers of all levels. Didn’t occur to me to get on with it on black groomers.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Seriously - cool drills. I’ve been stuck at skidding steeper groomers with poor early edge set and (surprisingly) not enough pressure on the outside ski according to Carv. And finish the turn.

Funny how the J turn is being used to teach skiers of all levels. Didn’t occur to me to get on with it on black groomers.

SkierGolferNH

Putting on skis
Instructor
Not a fan of this. It promotes banking and getting too far inside. Make the zipper on your parka as vertical as possible to get more hip angulation. Watch FIS racing, most of the time if they fall, it's because they got too far inside.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
The amount of leg strength to recover from getting too far inside, me 1> snow 3.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not a fan of this. It promotes banking and getting too far inside.

Absolutely. You go this way your main goal becomes touching the snow which in turn results in banking which in turn results in some spectacular washouts and yard sales. Ask me how I know… :roflmao:

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Absolutely. You go this way your main goal becomes touching the snow which in turn results in banking which in turn results in some spectacular washouts and yard sales. Ask me how I know… :roflmao:

Can you tell me a drill/progression that does not have the potential for unwanted outcomes? If we took drills out because someone somewhere had stuffed them up the toolkit would be empty.

Yes, if the drill involves hand on snow there's a risk the "student" could bank into the turn or get too inside. But for those two (mostly) didn't and there was a noticeable improvement in orange dude's skiing before/after.

Make the zipper on your parka as vertical as possible to get more hip angulation.

Like these guys n girls?

1679744003766.png

1679744341813.png

1679744530381.png

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Not a fan of this. It promotes banking and getting too far inside. Make the zipper on your parka as vertical as possible to get more hip angulation. Watch FIS racing, most of the time if they fall, it's because they got too far inside.
That is what I thought initially when I watched the video. Tom Gellie seems to challenge orthodoxy in a number of different ways which can be good if the proper context is provided (pay his subscription and get the full picture!) but for us cheapskates watching the free YouTube content it may just sound contradictory.

More hip angulation to achieve higher edge angles was the main focus of my instruction this winter along with facing down the fall line more consistently. I really need to have more of both to get better off piste and I made decent progress. But earlier in the year I also worked on exploring the range of motion I was capable of by exaggerating everything (not all at once). I found new unexplored movements in tipping the ankles more aggressively and moving forward at the top of the turn. I'm sure it was ugly to watch but skiing is a series of highly calibrated movement patterns and you have to explore the full range of what you can do before you can feel "just right".

The "Yah, ski more like me, less like you" instruction methodology has limitations and needs to be blended with some "stupid human tricks" occasionally.

Last edited:

Jjmd

Putting on skis
Skier
A progressing skier needs to experience extremes at each end of the spectrum that he is working on, in order to be able to differentiate between what is correct or not. This is a great drill to expand one’s awareness of body angles and the difference between angulation and inclination. If you have some bobbles along the way….. sack up. Geeper’s response was right on.

Skitechniek

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm not a fan of the whole toppling thing either, but you have to admit, the results were pretty good in this case.

RoninSkier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Re performance carving -
Seb Michel's phrase - the goal is to maximize edge angle

Both Tom;s and Seb's drills emphasize inclination, before any angulation, to the edge of disaster.

The right drills are important at the right time, individualized for each skier to develop/refine 1or 2 motor skills followed by layering of more motor skills to develop/refine technique.

IMHO

Sponsor

Staff online