• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Ran a lot of searches and I know who a lot of the heavy hitters are out there, but sometimes, the frame of reference for these recommendations is western packed powder and off-piste, versus my own frame of reference, which is Mid-Atlantic Ice Coast, and one to two weeks out west (for packed powder and off-piste) -- all on the same ski (my daily drivers).

I'm on a pair of aging MX88s (178s) with many seasons on them now, and I've got the bug. I'm 55 (legs aren't getting any stronger), 5'10", 190 lbs. I guess a Level 7 skier -- out West I ski any single black, and enjoy off-piste as well as high speed groomers, but in the PA Poconos (man-made granular at best, with ice hiding just below), I'm a Mach 10 skier on groomers (where I ski, that's about all there is). So as an example, this season, I've spent all of it at Camelback in the Poconos (or Elk), with an extended weekend in the Adirondacks (again, icy), but will finish out the season with a week in Banff in the good stuff. That's typical for most seasons though I usually get a second week in out West, but just not this season.

Scott (Dawgcatching), who sold me my MX88s, recommends the SR95. I'd been asking him about the SR88 (whenever I read a review that says "huge sweet spot," my 55 yo legs tingle), but he thinks, with their flex, while great off-piste, they're not a Mach 10 groomer ski (and I don't know how they'd be on ice or cruddy ice, ie, uneven, hard terrain) like my MX88s. Found a nice price on a pair of new SR88s ($699 w/o bindings, last season's model but new), so still pretty tempting... He likes the SR95s as a firmer ski. But, he's in Bend. I'm wondering if a 95 waist is too wide for Eastern hard-pack?

I don't see the MX89s talked about a lot like their forebears were -- I think I've heard from more than one person "too stiff." Is that true? I know the Lazer's are the flavor of the month, but I worry about those western trips and their performance off-piste.

I should add, I'm not necessarily married to Stockli.

Last edited:

Tlri

Putting on skis
Skier
Any consideration of the MX84?
I skied the 83 and 88 and I love the 84.
Little tighter radius and a little quicker edge to edge than the 88. Sure you lose a tiny bit of float but 84 is still plenty to let you have fun on the occasional soft day or trip west.
I’m 6’ 170lbs and have no problem flexing the 176.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Hey partner.....eerily familiar background, (skiing style, area skied, time spent out west) except for the age!!!. Skied CBK every weekend while I was living in Hoboken/NYC and was on the MX83. Love the MX83 for CBK, the trips to VT......even loved how the 83 was out in CO/UT.

This year I spent a lot of time researching here at Pugski for more of a GS ride/feel as my frequency to CO/UT has increased and I wanted an overhaul of my skis.

Inside of this new paradigm I was only considering a Kastle, and Stockli product even though I had some time on a Blossom and the SR 95 in Zermatt. I was fortunate to have demoed the Kastle FX 95HP and the 95 in Verbier. I spent what I considered to be an ample of time talking with Scott, (thank you!!!) about the Stockli products, SR 88 and 95.

I chose the SR88, blind, to accommodate for my style and where I would be skiing. As an "aggressive" skier who wanted to be able to make long and short radius turns in all conditions the SR88 was a fine selection. I skied what little freshies in Breck has had this year, above the trees, groomers, bumps, long radius turns, short radius turns and trees and the SR88 is fantastically stable and responsive at speed. The generous sweet spot underfoot is an asset that makes skiing the ski in a variety of conditions and most important turn radi a pleasure. As @Philpug has stated the SR88 "[is] not for the uncouth" He is correct with this assessment.

The reason I didnt purchase the SR95 was because while I average 10-14 days out west I mentioned to Scott, but really more thinking out loud, that while the 95 may provide more stiffness, the fact that it doesn't snow each day while I'm skiing in CO/UT the SR88 would provide more versatility. Therefore, at CBK you may enjoy the 88 over the 95.

Go with your gut on this one. Either ski is a pleasure to own. The Stockli is like a German sports sedan while the Kastle is like a German sport car is an accurate assessment. I love the SR88. Not enough words to do it justice.

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Haven't researched the Renoun -- is that tongue in cheek PJ, or a recommendation? Good on ice as well as off piste?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
IMG_20180310_115753.jpg
IMG_20180310_115753.jpg
It's both - hard set glacier is absolutely appropriate for maximally damped skis, especially if you are skiing in monsoons like we had this season, where the rain suspends loose snow so you can't edge it.

I am also having a dig at the fans for being slow in such an obvious gimme.

The only question is whether the ski has enough float for you in fresh light unconsolidated pow. Like right now ...

VladSki

Two Aperols please
Skier
Skied 88mm Stormriders (177, iirc) for a week in Zermatt in March 2017, and happen to own a pair of 2016 MX88s (178), which have been my go-to skis this season in Europe. IMO, there is no comparison between the two. The Kastles are much, MUCH more ski compared to Stocklis, which also makes the Ks more versatile.

I personally would not trust the SRs tho replace the MXs, and would look elsewhere (if pressed to make a change, my choice would be the metal Blizzard Brahma).

Tlri

Putting on skis
Skier
I just took a couple runs on each, flex felt similar but, like the 84 they pulled in the radius on the 89. To me that made it feel slightly quicker edge to edge than the 88. At 89 it was still wider than I felt like I wanted for an east coast high speed groomer ski.
I felt like compared to the 84 the 89 has a little less edge grip and precision on the hard stuff.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Everyone here knows I love my Head Monster 88's (184cm). But, the Kastle MX 84's are sweet. If you love the MX88's my guess would be that you will really love the MX89's but for a mostly eastern small hill ski I would go with the 84's or Monster 83's. I mean a pair of Stockli Laser AX's would be bad either!

Last edited:
TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Less edge grip and precision on the hard stuff.... It’s always something! One of my motivations is my tired MX88s seem to be declining in their edge grip. Kind of a big deal. In my mind’s eye, I am that guy shooting down my favorite run at Telluride. In reality, most of my skiing is East Coast hard pack.

This reminds me of my dirt bikes. They can be great on trails, or they can be great on a motocross track..., but not both.

Last edited:

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Wallyk, great feedback. Have you had the SR88s on eastern, icy hard pack?

Have not skied the SR88's in the east b/c I purchased the SR88's after I moved to MN. So while I would've skied them at CBK, I have skied them at two areas in MN. 1 is my local, Welch Village. 2. Lutsen. Both closely resemble CBK in terms of snow conditions with Lutsen being the closest in terms of vertical. Both are based on firm hardpack, lots of manmade with ice and loose granular at the end of the day. SR88's are solid.

But there is a caveat. In addition to the SR88's I purchased a pair of Kastle MX74's from Scott which provided an technical and structural realignment to my quiver which essentailly replaced the MX83s. IMHO the MX74 was a solid and appropriation addition. However I also was considering adding the Laser SC.

Hope this helps.

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Thanks everyone. Any thoughts/experiences out there on a 95 waist on eastern hard pack? Too wide, or unnoticeable?

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Thanks everyone. Any thoughts/experiences out there on a 95 waist on eastern hard pack? Too wide, or unnoticeable?

I never take my SR95s out in the Great Lakes area unless we have a few inches of fresh. They do hold an edge surprisingly well for a wide ski and they are just damp, easy and powerful. Everything that's cool about Mantras and Bones they simply do better. They are travel skis for the most part.

That being said, my typical conditions ask for a 76 to 80 for an all rounder.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I, too, am a Pocono area skier, mostly at Blue, and, for several years, skied the original Kastle 88 in a 178.. I demo'd them at Elk, bought them mostly to take out west during the Gatherings. They were great in the Pocono's on all but the hardest snow, but, at heart, I'm a more into narrower skis that grip hard snow. The Kastle 88's beat up my knees and that was a prime reason they departed. My thinking is they are a lot of ski for most, but, if speed is your prime criteria, then the K88's could be good to re-buy. It hurts my brain to consider moving to a wider ski than 88 when it mostly is skied in Pa. Demo'ing skis wider than 90ish, I find them to be slow edge to edge, and, not great on hard snow. I own a Blossom made 78 in a 170 length, that does not have a upper speed limit for me, and, is a great carver on typical eastern trails. Buy skis for where you ski the most, we all have visions of skiing great western snow, but, I've experienced some very eastern conditions on many days in the big mountains.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Having skied/owned many a Kastle, I’ll echo the recommendation of the first replier to your post and suggest the MX84 in 176. I also owned the previous carbon tipped SR95. The MX84 would be more on-piste oriented than the either my previous or current SR95. The current SR88 is of a lighter build ( according to Stockli’s website ) so doubtful it has the groomer performance of the MX84. I recall Scott saying the MX84 was the best ski he’s ever had, at the time of his review of it here on Pugski. I’m on the hunt for something skinnier and @WadeHoliday ongoing positive commentary on the MX74 172 has that at the top of my list.

Sponsor